H1 holder questions to bring husband over on H4 & H4-F1 conversion

veenix

Registered Users (C)
Hi and Thank you in advance. I have a few questions, but answer to any particular question will be of immense help. I am also new to this forum so please bear with me if ask one or two FAQs.

I work on a H1-B Visa and want to bring my husband over here on a H4 visa. He would fall under the Delhi consular district and I fall under the Chennai consular district. Would there be a problem if I applied for an appointment at Delhi being the principal Visa holder?

My H1-B approval notice was stamped at the Chennai consulate when I went to India last year. After my return to the US, my company filed an amended petition for me since I had to move to another state to work on another project. I now have an approval notice from the INS from the amended petition. Do I need to the 1-94 stamped again when I go to India for my marriage this time?

Our long-term plan is for my husband to do a PhD here. I have heard that once on a H4, chances of getting a F1 is minimal since it conveys a strong intent to settle down in the US. Also, can F1 Visa be obtained here or does one have to go to India for that?

I have some questions regarding filling out the TTSVisas.com appointment page. Please help ASAP. Thanks.

You are renewing or replacing a visa of the same category provided the previous visa has not been expired for more than twelve months (i.e.,365 days).
-- I have an amended H1B approval notice with a new 1-94 (not a case of H1B renewal or extension) that I need to get stamped in India along with my husband’s H4. Should I answer yes or no to this question?

How long does it take for the Consulate to issue back all the documents once the appt. is done and stamping confirmed.

Thanks again.

veenix said:
Hi and Thank you in advance. I have a few questions, but answer to any particular question will be of immense help. I am also new to this forum so please bear with me if ask one or two FAQs.

I work on a H1-B Visa and want to bring my husband over here on a H4 visa. He would fall under the Delhi consular district and I fall under the Chennai consular district. Would there be a problem if I applied for an appointment at Delhi being the principal Visa holder?
------ your spouse can apply in Delhi
My H1-B approval notice was stamped at the Chennai consulate when I went to India last year. After my return to the US, my company filed an amended petition for me since I had to move to another state to work on another project. I now have an approval notice from the INS from the amended petition. Do I need to the 1-94 stamped again when I go to India for my marriage this time?
-------- I-94 is NOT stamped by consulates, if you have new H1 approval and still your Visa stamp is valid in your passport 9 before you come back to US) then no need of new Visa stamp at POE show your passport valid Visa Stamp AND new H1 approval notice you will get I-94 till H1 approval validity, check the I-94 date at POE if any mistake on I-94 point out to POE officer

Our long-term plan is for my husband to do a PhD here. I have heard that once on a H4, chances of getting a F1 is minimal since it conveys a strong intent to settle down in the US. Also, can F1 Visa be obtained here or does one have to go to India for that?
---I am not expert on F1 but he can study on H4, why he needs F1??
I have some questions regarding filling out the TTSVisas.com appointment page. Please help ASAP. Thanks.

You are renewing or replacing a visa of the same category provided the previous visa has not been expired for more than twelve months (i.e.,365 days).
-- I have an amended H1B approval notice with a new 1-94 (not a case of H1B renewal or extension) that I need to get stamped in India along with my husband’s H4. Should I answer yes or no to this question?
------ only your H1 approval has been ammended, if your Visa stamp has NOT expired more than 1 tear then answer is NO
How long does it take for the Consulate to issue back all the documents once the appt. is done and stamping confirmed.
---depends on diffrent consulates
Thanks again.

Some more clarification needed on new H1B approval notice

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your comments/advice.

One of the reasons for H4 to F1 is that then my husband would be able to work as a RA or a TA for a professor and possibly fund himself. I will look up similar discussions in this portal.

I-94 is NOT stamped by consulates, if you have new H1 approval and still your Visa stamp is valid in your passport 9 before you come back to US) then no need of new Visa stamp at POE show your passport valid Visa Stamp AND new H1 approval notice you will get I-94 till H1 approval validity, check the I-94 date at POE if any mistake on I-94 point out to POE officer
-- I don't follow your above comments. I have my Visa and 194 stamped from my last India visit until Apr 2005. You are saying that now i don't need to get a fresh consulate visa stamp. Showing the 194 at the POE is sufficient. So when i apply through ttsvisas.com, i need to get an appointment for my husband only for his H4. Which means when i enter my information, it asks for petition # etc. but in the visa type field i need to enter only H4 instead of H1 for myself and then a H4 for my husband. Please clarify. Thanks again.

veenix said:
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your comments/advice.

One of the reasons for H4 to F1 is that then my husband would be able to work as a RA or a TA for a professor and possibly fund himself. I will look up similar discussions in this portal.

I-94 is NOT stamped by consulates, if you have new H1 approval and still your Visa stamp is valid in your passport 9 before you come back to US) then no need of new Visa stamp at POE show your passport valid Visa Stamp AND new H1 approval notice you will get I-94 till H1 approval validity, check the I-94 date at POE if any mistake on I-94 point out to POE officer
-- I don't follow your above comments. I have my Visa and 194 stamped from my last India visit until Apr 2005. You are saying that now i don't need to get a fresh consulate visa stamp.
----- you have the Visa stamp till April 2005, why do you need Visa stamp again? when you enter US show your passport Visa stamp that is Valid till 2005 AND new H1 approval notice.
Showing the 194 at the POE is sufficient.
----- you have to surrunder your I-94 when you go out of US and get New I-94 when you enter
So when i apply through ttsvisas.com, i need to get an appointment for my husband only for his H4.
----- yes, only for his H4 based on your new H1 approval notice and other documents
Which means when i enter my information, it asks for petition # etc. but in the visa type field i need to enter only H4 instead of H1 for myself and then a H4 for my husband. Please clarify.
----- i dont understand why YOU have to fill up form for your spouse, he has to fill his form for his H4 visa stamp, you have to just provide the documents from your side
Thanks again.

Petition # on H4 form at ttsvisas.com

Thank you so much for your reply. I apologize i took a while to understand. I have been pretty ignorant about INS related stuff. It seems like after the marriage he's the only one who needs to get an interview process done and i can actually return and not have to wait around, according to my leave. Or do i need to be present for his interview for the H4? Just all the backup documents are sufficient, right?

I have one more question that comes to my mind about ttsvisas.com. So when applying for an appointment for H4 Visa where the form asks for Principal applicant's petition details, he needs to enter my H1B petition information right? Is that the petition # from my current approval notice that needs to be entered? or the previous one? Please let me know. Thank you.

veenix said:
Thank you so much for your reply. I apologize i took a while to understand. I have been pretty ignorant about INS related stuff. It seems like after the marriage he's the only one who needs to get an interview process done and i can actually return and not have to wait around, according to my leave. Or do i need to be present for his interview for the H4? Just all the backup documents are sufficient, right?
-----YES
I have one more question that comes to my mind about ttsvisas.com. So when applying for an appointment for H4 Visa where the form asks for Principal applicant's petition details, he needs to enter my H1B petition information right? Is that the petition # from my current approval notice that needs to be entered?
---current
or the previous one? Please let me know. Thank you.