H1 extension question

lz25888

Registered Users (C)
Hi I am in the process of renew my H1b, say, my old h1B expires 3/31, the lawyer filed renew paper work one week ago, can I still work even I don\'t get the approval or the notice after 4/1?
Thanks

No Title

If it is an extension (not transfer) of your previous H1B, then after you receive the receipt notice from INS, then you can work while waiting for the approval.

Thanks, it\'s an extension

How if I don\'t get receipt notice by the time my old H1 expires(it\'s filed)? can I still work? I know if it\'s a transfer, I can work after get the receipt, not sure about the extension process though.

Wrong... You don\'t need to wait for receipt...

especially for extension cases. You have to file the extension petition before expiry that is all. And per Ac21 you can start working for the new employer as soon as the h1 transfer petition is received by INS.
TSC-00 what is your source of info.

my lawyer said I am all set as soon as it\'s filed before the expiration

checked with lawyer, hope they are right...I am looking into the documents try to make sure..

thanks for the input

No Title

True, you have to apply before H1 expiration to be in status. But unless you have received your receipt notice, what is the proof that you have applied, in case there is an emergency INS check. If your company/employer\'s lawyer has filed your case, then you are fine with your company, but if you have done it through independent lawyer or yourself, then you need to submit the receipt notice to your HR department to be continued on your payroll. So, to be on safer side it is better to apply little early so that you have the receipt notice before the expiry of your earlier extension.

What is an emergency INS check?

Have you ever experienced it? INS can check whether somebody has applied for a renewal or not. INS does not need a new receipt notice. A letter from the independent lawyer is also suffice. how lowly or unreliable is this lawyer from the company lawyer?