H1-B Visa Stamping under the New Law

waitingforgc04

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,
Under the new rule, that I am not totally clear about, you have to go outside US to get your Visa Stamped.

My question is, I am on H1-B, my 6 years completed in Feb'04. I applied for my 7th year extension in Feb;04 and am waiting for my extension.

Now,as I understood, once I got my extension, I was going to send my Passport for stamping, so that when I travel back to India, I do not have any issues.

Now in the wake of this new change how does this effect me. Since I will not get my extension and be able to send papers by the July'16th end date, what are my options??? How do I go about this if I plan to travel later this year and what are the risks involved?

Thanks

waitingforgc04 said:
Hi guys,
Under the new rule, that I am not totally clear about, you have to go outside US to get your Visa Stamped.

My question is, I am on H1-B, my 6 years completed in Feb'04. I applied for my 7th year extension in Feb;04 and am waiting for my extension.

Now,as I understood, once I got my extension, I was going to send my Passport for stamping, so that when I travel back to India, I do not have any issues.

Now in the wake of this new change how does this effect me. Since I will not get my extension and be able to send papers by the July'16th end date, what are my options???
----once you get your H1 approval notice it will havw I-94 attached with it, you can remain and work in US when you go out get H1 Visa stamp and Visa stamp is just for entry to US

How do I go about this if I plan to travel later this year and what are the risks involved?
---- only problem may be if you were paid less than wages on LCA
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't have much options. If you want to travel, you will have to go to a US consulate and get an H1 stamped.

The following are from DOS's web site. What is your suggestion about going to Canada or Mexico to get stamping instead of going to home country like India as it's expensive for a family of 4. Thanks.

-Thaniks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
We encourage all applicants to apply for new visas in their home countries. Applicants not traveling to their home countries may apply at a U.S. visa processing post in Canada or Mexico provided they have made an interview appointment. Applicants may also apply at a U.S. visa processing post in a third country provided they have made an interview appointment. All applicants should understand that if there is a delay in visa issuance, they may need to spend more time overseas then they originally planned. Additional information regarding U.S. visa processing posts and their interview appointment systems may be found at http://usembassy.state.gov. A business associate, friend, or relative may need to make the visa interview appointment for you. We have directed our visa processing posts to give priority to applicants who would have benefited from our domestic visa revalidation service.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------