H1-B travel problem. Need your advice people!!!

volchonok

Registered Users (C)
Hello.
I have H1-B valid till Jan 2008. I have Notice of Approval, my I209 form (application) and I94. I've heard there's a way to stamp multiple entry in my passport in Mexico/Canada. Do people do that only to renew their expired H1 visa or I can also do it if I want to travel? If yes, what do I have to do in order to get H1-B stamped? How and where can I do it? And what documents are required?
My H1-B was approved just a week ago. I live in San Diego. And I have SSN and Evaluation of diploma (bachelor's).
Can you please help me and answer my questions? You'll make me happy if you do.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Me.

Need to travel but H1B extension pending

Hi All,

I am on H1B and it is going to expire June 2005. I will file for extension. But I have plans to go home.... Two questions ...if any of you can help.

1) Is it safe to travel outside USA after I file for the extension ? Some sites said that you cannot travel on a pending extension unless you have the approval receipt in your hand because your petion automatically gets cancelled if you do so.

2) My alternative plan is I will travel outside USA with my old visa and return 1 month in advance of when my VISA expires 2005. After coming back, I will file for the extension. Are there any risks associated with this ?

Anybody helping me I will be very grateful.

Supernova.

I don't have all the info but you can find it here:

Hey, I'm sure you can get this information by calling USCIS customer service:
1-800-375-5283. They can help you concerning some general issues. That's what I do when I need to know anything about my status here (I'm on H1-B too).
May be you can help me too?.. Have you travelled outside the USA in H1-B status? Can you share your experience? They told me I had to get my visa stamped in my passport in US Embassy. I don't want to do it in my native country for some reason. Is it possible to do it somewhere in Mexico for example?
What did you do when you travelled?
I'd be very grateful if you reply and share your ideas with me.
Than you!
Ira.

supernova123 said:
Hi All,

I am on H1B and it is going to expire June 2005. I will file for extension. But I have plans to go home.... Two questions ...if any of you can help.

1) Is it safe to travel outside USA after I file for the extension ? Some sites said that you cannot travel on a pending extension unless you have the approval receipt in your hand because your petion automatically gets cancelled if you do so. ------------- You can travel while your extension is pending as long as you have a valid stamp in your passport.

2) My alternative plan is I will travel outside USA with my old visa and return 1 month in advance of when my VISA expires 2005. After coming back, I will file for the extension. Are there any risks associated with this ? ------- Yes You can and should not be a problem

Supernova.

volchonok said:
Hello.
I have H1-B valid till Jan 2008. I have Notice of Approval, my I209 form (application) and I94. I've heard there's a way to stamp multiple entry in my passport in Mexico/Canada. Do people do that only to renew their expired H1 visa or I can also do it if I want to travel? If yes, what do I have to do in order to get H1-B stamped? How and where can I do it? And what documents are required?
My H1-B was approved just a week ago. I live in San Diego. And I have SSN and Evaluation of diploma (bachelor's).
Can you please help me and answer my questions? You'll make me happy if you do.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Me.

Looks like you don't have a H1-B visa. To travel and enter back you need the Visa stamped in your passport. To get the stamp you have to go back to your home country and aply for the visa in the US consulate there. You can get stamping done in Mexico/Canada but if the reject it then you have to go to your country. If you have a Masters degree from the US then Mexica/Canada should be OK but nothing is guaranteed.

supernova123 said:
Hi All,

1) Is it safe to travel outside USA after I file for the extension ? Some sites said that you cannot travel on a pending extension unless you have the approval receipt in your hand because your petion automatically gets cancelled if you do so.
-------- ONLY CHANGE OF STATUS gets abondned NOT extension in same status
2) My alternative plan is I will travel outside USA with my old visa and return 1 month in advance of when my VISA expires 2005. After coming back, I will file for the extension. Are there any risks associated with this ?
---that is ok

Supernova.