H1-B quota issue

vikas129

Registered Users (C)
I have a doubt about whether I fall in the H1-B quota for 2007 or not.

I had an H1-B till Aug 2005 (I used approx 4 years of the 6 allowed) when I changed status to F1 to do my MBA. Now, I will be graduating in May 2007 and will start my job in July 2007 for which I need to file my H1-B sometime in the next few weeks. Will I be counted for the 2007 quota or will I be cap-exempt?

Please advise.

Hi Vikas,

I'm in the same boat. I entered the US under an F1 visa. After I received my degree in 2004, I switched to H1B visa to work for a company. Now, I will be starting my MBA this July 2007. Hence, I need to change back to F1 visa.

My current H1B expires on Oct 2007. I plan to switch to F1 this July 2007. I have some questions that I hope you already got answers from our friends in Immigration.com.

1. Are we cap exempt if we decide to work after our second degree (i.e. MBA)?
2. If we are cap exempt, would it just be a transfer of H1B from previous company to new company?
3. Regarding OPT, my understanding is that I already used my 1-year OPT when I did my first master's degree. Hence, I will not have this option after my MBA. Is this true? I also heard that some people succeeded in trying to get a second OPT. What are your experiences?

I did get some answers to other questions that might be of interest to you. Let's share some insights. Call me at 864-907-0072.