H1-B marrying a Canadian PR

raj_kariya

Registered Users (C)
Hello all,
I am getting married to a girl who is originally from India but has been staying in Canada. She is a permanent resident of Canada. She has recently applied for her citizenship and will get her Canadian citizenship in Jan 2011. She has a visitor visa for United states.
I am currently on my H1-B and have applied for my Green card. I plan to re-enter United States on AP.

Do i wait for her to get her Canadian citizenship before we get married? Does her getting married to a person staying in USA affect her Canadian citizenship process. Also what visa does she enter the united states with? H4 or B1 if we get married before she gets her Canadian citizenship.. or is it advisable to wait till she gets her Canadian citizenship and have her enter on a TN? Thanks for your help in advance. -Raj

Thanks Mr. Ghori. Do you think you can provide me some inputs on my other questions?

Do i wait for her to get her Canadian citizenship before we get married?
What visa does she enter the united states with? H4 or B1 if we get married before she gets her Canadian citizenship..
or is it advisable to wait till she gets her Canadian citizenship and have her enter on a TN?

Thanks for your help -Raj

Do i wait for her to get her Canadian citizenship before we get married?

-- Does not matter.

What visa does she enter the united states with? H4 or B1 if we get married before she gets her Canadian citizenship..

-- Citizenship has nothing to do with her visa status. She will not be eligible for H4 before she gets married to you - irrespective of her citizenship.

or is it advisable to wait till she gets her Canadian citizenship and have her enter on a TN?

-- Getting TN requires a job offer that is in the list of TN professions. See how easy will it be for her to get TN specific job in the US and decide accordingly.

probably a dumb question but some one mentioned that the girl that i am marrying (she already has visitor visa) can enter USA on visitor visa and can get it changed to H4 while she is in USA.. is that possible? -Thanks Raj