H1 6 years completed, can apply GC on Opt/Cpt ?

New_yo_gc

Registered Users (C)
Here is my question , I have completed my 6 years on H1B and I haven’t applied Green card , after talking to my lawyer she told me that I can apply for OPT/CPT and we can process GC on OPT/CPT . Is that true, because before knowing this ( can apply GC on opt/cpt ) I was under the impression that one can only apply Green card on H1b.

Please help me out here.

Thanks,

Did you complete the 6 years on H-1B? Wich visa are you now? OPT? It is F-1 that prohibits dual intent ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to complete my 6 years of H1B on Jan12-2008. My question if I am able to get OPT for one year . Can I apply GC while being on OPT? ( Keeping in mind that I will have only one valid visa i.e OPT ) .

How will you get an OPT from H-1B? No such provisions exist as per this link. OPT is granted to F-1 visa holders on completion of a desired number of semesters.

Yes, you can. But you won't be able to travel until you get your AP.

HOWEVER, you can't just switch to F-1 and get OPT right away. You have to complete a degree program as F-1 first (2-6 years depending on program). Then you get 1 year OPT. If you don't take the OPT right away, you can't take it later.

Why don't you file for GC now? You will be in status immediately, and you get EAD after 90 days.