H visa time limit

pilid

Registered Users (C)
Is the time limit of 6 years for any H visa? I am on H4 for last 4 years. I am now seeking to convert to H1. Will I get H1 only for 2 years or get the full 6 years?

Only 2 years more, unless you have your own LC/PERM pending more than a year

pilid said:
Is the time limit of 6 years for any H visa? I am on H4 for last 4 years. I am now seeking to convert to H1. Will I get H1 only for 2 years or get the full 6 years?

since you will be coming on H1 for the first time you will get 6 yrs......., your being in US on H4 does not count towrds the H1 quota yrs

dumboost said:
since you will be coming on H1 for the first time you will get 6 yrs......., your being in US on H4 does not count towrds the H1 quota yrs

Totally wrong. Poster will get only 2 years h1. H1+H4= 6 years.

Thanks

Yes, dyingforgc and great guru are correct. I just double checked with two attorneys.

Yes , 6 yrs is counted against H status . Can be either H1B/H4 or both combined. So you will get only 2 yrs on you h1 when it is approved (PLUS any time you left the country for vacation ,you can add that total vacation period to be included while applying for h1 .This is added if you mention in your peition allegedly) .
Also you will have to apply for LC before the start of 6th year .

Hope this helps !