H-1 to F-1 - gap period

Caesar

Registered Users (C)
My wife is on H-1 now and she is going to study so her university will file an application for F-1 for her.

My question is what happens if she quits (i.e. her workplace notifies USCIS that she is not working anymore hence her H-1 is invalidated for this employer), while F-1 application has not been submitted yet (it takes ~2 weeks for the university to the application). I know that if the H-1 was invalidated AFTER the F-1 application was submitted, there is no problem assuming you do not leave the US. However, i am not sure what are the consequences of quitting the job before the F-1 application has been submitted. Any insights on that?

Thanks in advance,

Caesar

she needs to apply for a change of status BEFORE she quits. That's the only way to keep her in status and legal. Otherwise she can't do a change of status, since she will have no status to change.

Hi to F1 doubt

Lucy MO, I am also going to school this fall and will be transferring from H1 to F1. What is the best time to apply for change of status from H1 to F1 ? Do I need to have my F1 approved before starting college ? Or just applying for change of status is good enough for me to start college, even if the approval comes after starting college ?