H-1 stamping in Montreal: please help!

lisa93106

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I'm a Russian citizen working in the US. I have an appointment in May at the US consulate in Montreal to get my H1-B stamp.

I'm worried about the security check. Everybody I ask, and all the information
on the Internet, warns me NOT to leave the US because I will be stuck in Canada forever, or will have to return to Russia.

But I called the consulate in Montreal, and the person I talked to checked my file and told me that they already determined that I will NOT need a security check! So when I come, if I pass the interview, I will get my visa on the same day.

This sounds great, but I'm worried because it contradicts everthing that everyone else is telling me. All the web pages tell me that there is no way to know in advance whether a security check is required; it is at the
discretion of the officer.

Can anybody comment on this? Maybe the point is that they already did a security check on me when my I-797 was approved, so they don't
need to do it again?

Please share your experience with getting a stamp in Canada!

Thanks a lot!

Lisa

As far as I know, Russian Nationals are not subject to security waiting period. If you are changing from F1, your h1 visa stamp is assured in montreal.
Only nationals from some countries like Iran, Iraq, Pakistan are subject to this security check... See BCIS site and search

Thanks! But I have heard that in the US consulate in Moscow many people are delayed because of the security check. ...

Does this mean that there are no security checks for Russians only if I apply in Canada or Mexico?

Dude,

Please read this state department's url. http://travel.state.gov/specialnotice.html
I did not mean to scare you; but they can do security scheck to anybody. They usually do those checking for all muslim coutries. North Korea, Cuba, Syria, Sudan, Iran, Iraq, and Libya are not even allowed to apply for visa. As far as Russia is concerned, I don't know about them. You said Moscow embassy takes long time to process for security check. How they usually takes to process?

I hope you will be fine as long as embassy in canada said that you don't need a security check. Let us know how this turns out.

I am changing from F-1 OPT to H-1. I have a PhD from US and a F-1
stamp valid till 2004.

But my employer filed I-140 to BCIS. I also had a rejection for a transit visa
in US consulate in Vancouver in 1996--that was two years before I
came to the US on F-1.

Will this affect in any way my application for H-1 in Montreal???

Can they send me to Russia to get a stamp???

Thanks again!!!

Lisa,

Dont worry. you are fine for H1B stamping.
Your earlier rejection of visa would not even matter.
(As for my personal experience, i was twice rejected before i got approved... i have even got GC now).
Lots of people have got approved from Canada (after sep11).

So put your worries aside & Have fun.
Good luck to you !!!

Have a Nice Day :)

Last edited by a moderator: