Gurus - Please suggest - Dentist LC

kotash

Registered Users (C)
Hi Great Guru,

I am a dentist from India.

I recently applied LC under EB2 by my attorney. Now my attorney states that I might have problem during I140.

Can you please suggest me what course of action can i take. He is also suggesting that I might have to file I140 under EB3.

Please suggest some solution.

Thank you for your time.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Kota

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not clear which state / city are you working. Laws veries from state to state.

Is it non profit org? What is your current status? What visa do you hold now. ?
What is your Qualification in India BDS or MDS what speciality.

Reply first?

kotash said:
Hi Great Guru,

I am a dentist from India, but currently working in a healthcenter under Limited License, which is given by the state dental board for foreign-trained dentists to practise, but only in health centers and education centers and need to renew every year.

I recently applied LC under EB2 by my attorney. Now my attorney states that I might have problem during I140, because of limited license (He did not notice before applying LC), cos USCIS may not consider limited license as speciality license instead of DMD (full license.)

Currently, I am at the end of my 5th year.

Can you please suggest me what course of action can i take. He is also suggesting that I might have to file I140 under EB3.

Please suggest some solution.

Thank you for your time.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Kota

1. I am working in a non-profit organization, in Massachusetts.
2. I am currenlty on H1B visa.
3. I did not go to dental school in USA.
4. My qualification is BDS from India.

Thank you for your time and help.

Dr. Kota

At the request of non-profit Org request you are end up with restricted license to practise in MA.
Your H1 is only for MA non-rofit org. But LC and I 140 will difinetly looking for unrestricted license to practice (profit org).

Only way to get the unrestricted license is ( CA, PArt I & II and bench has already gone like all other state) you should have joined a school to earn a DDS or DMD before your 6th year of H1 expiry.

If you are plannig to stay and work in US permanently, you must consider taking these international program. Usaully 2- 3 years and cost 75-150K for entire course.

kotash said:
1. I am working in a non-profit organization, in Massachusetts.
2. I am currenlty on H1B visa.
3. I did not go to dental school in USA.
4. My qualification is BDS from India.

Thank you for your time and help.

Dr. Kota

Eb3

I could not afford for IDP 2yrs program.

For my current situation, can I apply under EB3?

I am in the process of getting my Minnesota license. Minnesota also accepts foreign-trained dentists.

thanks for your suggestions.

Affordability is out of question you will get 100% educational loan from private lender with USC co-sign. With in 2 years you can pay back the entire loan with unrestricted license to prctise.
Minnesota license will come with lot of if and buts and it is only good for minnesota. If you get Minnesota unrestricted license you may put your LC under EB2 . BUt you must pass ADA Part I & II and pass regional board clinical exams too.

Minnesota Licensing procedure:
The Credentials Committee of the Board meets approximately every six weeks (see schedule) to review submitted materials on a first-come, first-served basis. You must submit all of the documents on the checklist to begin the process. Please review the list carefully as your interview with the Committee will not be scheduled until we have received all the documents.

After the Committee has reviewed your request, you will be scheduled for an interview. After the interview you will be notified in writing of the committee’s decision. Below are 3 different types of decisions the Committee will make at this time:

1. Licensure Eligible Status Granted.

You will be notified that you have met all the considerations to take the clinical exam.

2 Request "Tabled."

If the Committee determines that you need to provide additional documentation, your application will be tabled. You will need to provide the necessary information within sixty (60) days or repeat the entire process.

There are two common scenarios where this might happen: (1) the Committee will request additional information regarding your education or experience if they feel the documentation submitted does not clearly describe your professional background and/or (2) the Committee will request materials that are missing or incomplete.

A tabled application does not guarantee that you are eligible for licensure. If the Committee votes to “table” your application, you will be notified of your legal options to agree or not agree to meet the Committee’s request.

3. Request Denied.

The Committee may determine that you do not meet the minimum considerations for licensure, and deny licensure. In this case, you will be notified of the decision and have the option of an appeal.

Please understand that you may NOT practice dentistry in Minnesota until you have been granted a license number.

If you have any questions regarding eligibility based on circumstances that the board has not anticipated, please feel free to contact Joyce Nelson, Licensing Coordinator.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PROCESS OUTLINE

Each application is considered on a case-by-case basis.

Below is an outline of the process for a non-accredited dental graduate to become licensed in Minnesota. Details of the documents requested can be found elsewhere in this packet.

Step 1 Applicant provides documents to International Credentialing Association (ICA) for review. ICA sends a course-by-course report to the Minnesota Board of Dentistry.

Step 2 Applicant submits the following documents to our office:

a. Affidavit of applicant
b. Completed internationally-educated dentist questionnaire
c. Curriculum vitae or résumé
d. Proof of actively practicing, clinical dentistry for a sufficient period of time based on the following criteria:
1. Duration
2. Verifiability
3. Scope of practice
4. Recency
e. Dental diploma (and certified translation, if not in English)
f. Other diplomas or certificates (with translations)
g. Letter from the American Dental Association (ADA) showing completion of their Infection Control course
h. National Board Examination score report, Parts I and II (notarized copy)
i. Proof of passing the TOEFL or English proficiency examination
Please do not submit these documents until you have all that are listed above.
Step 3 The committee evaluates the documents above as submitted, and if approved, contacts you by mail to schedule an interview.
Step 4 Possible interview, including submitting patient records, with the Committee at the Board office in Minneapolis, MN.
If your interview has been successful,
the Board will give you permission to take a clinical exam:
Step 5 Complete and submit the results of the CRDTS, WREB, NERB or SRTA exam (if not previously submitted). The Committee considerations are that these exams be passed within eighteen (18) months from date of the Board’s approval letter.
Step 6 Complete the Minnesota Jurisprudence Exam (administered by EVALCOR, 651-641-0266).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
kotash said:
I could not afford for IDP 2yrs program.

For my current situation, can I apply under EB3?

I am in the process of getting my Minnesota license. Minnesota also accepts foreign-trained dentists.

thanks for your suggestions.

Eb3

Great Guru,

Thank you for your time.

I do not have any USC to co-sign. I am working on getting my exams done for Minnesota License.

My question is - for my current situation, Can I apply my GC under EB3. Once I get my 140 approved, in the future, I am planning to use current PD for my future EB2 from Minnesota License.

Thanks for your reply.
Kota

Current situation you do not have any unconditional license to practice in US.

Then how will you qualify for a permanent position in US as dentist.

To became an unconditional dentist you must have an ununditional license irrespective of your degree, qualifications or expreience.

Some time PERM may over look this in their initial stage, but in the I 140 you can not even apply.

For your question, stright answer is NO.

kotash said:
Great Guru,

Thank you for your time.

I do not have any USC to co-sign. I am working on getting my exams done for Minnesota License.

My question is - for my current situation, Can I apply my GC under EB3. Once I get my 140 approved, in the future, I am planning to use current PD for my future EB2 from Minnesota License.

Thanks for your reply.
Kota

Residency or IDP

Great Guru,

Thank you for your suggestions.

As I mentioned earlier, currently I am in my 5th year H1. If I join a 2 yr residency or 2 yr IDP Program, I believe I have to change from H1 to F1. For this status change from H1 to F1 do I have to go out of country to get stamping done, or can I stay in USA and change my status.

Once again thank you for your time and help.

Ashok

Most probably no

General rule of stamping (atleast H1B). One can change from F1 -> H1 and I believe the other way round too as long as you don't leave US.

You have to have your passport stamped with your Visa for reentry into US.

I went from OPT back to F1 and so I think H1 - F1 has the same rules.

Hope this helps.

You no need to go out side US provided your F1 approval comes with I 94.

kotash said:
Great Guru,

Thank you for your suggestions.

As I mentioned earlier, currently I am in my 5th year H1. If I join a 2 yr residency or 2 yr IDP Program, I believe I have to change from H1 to F1. For this status change from H1 to F1 do I have to go out of country to get stamping done, or can I stay in USA and change my status.

Once again thank you for your time and help.

Ashok