Gurus, please let me know...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbie_12-09

Registered Users (C)
Hi, guys.

I'm new to this forum - I work for a MNC in Dubai. I have a q - regarding US citizenship (or the underlying Green card)

One friend moved to the US from the UK - thru wife. He informed me that ANYBODY (willing) could sponsor my move to the US. Is this really true?

Another friend, a newly naturalized US citizen says that barring an employer, I can be sponsored by only the four relationships:
i) my parents (if US citizens)
ii) my spouse (if US citizens)
iii) my children (if US citizens)
iv) my siblings (if US citizens)

Could you please advise, who is RIGHT?

Thank you for yr time.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are petitioned by your close relative -- such as your wife/parents/siblings than it's nice to show them as sponser.............but if their sponser is not enough than you can have a joint sponser..........You can also put yourself as a self/joint sponser...........It depends for which process you want to have sponsership

If you are petitioned by your close relative -- such as your wife/parents/siblings than it's nice to show them as sponser.............but if their sponser is not enough than you can have a joint sponser..........You can also put yourself as a self/joint sponser...........It depends for which process you want to have sponsership

Excuse me, Sir - did ya read my post, and understand my q? I simply asked, which of the two opinions (hear-say from my two friends) was correct - based on US immigration law (if you know, that is)...

FYI, none of the four relationships of mine are US citizens. Also, I do not believe I can secure a H1B Visa to be sponsored, not in this economic climate atleast.

So, do ya have the answer to my q?

Thanks for yr time.

Thanks for responding, however, I'm not very sure if ya post answered my q. I'm assuming it would be a "Y", or "N" answer - which of my two friends is right (with regard to what I was informed by them)?

Good luck for yr upcoming interview!

Your second friend is correct - you can only be sponsored by an employer or a US citizen close relative. There are other options however - if you can invest $1 million in a US business and generate new employment for 10 US citizens, you can get a green card.
If you are an exceptional athlete or scientist (internationally recognized) you can petition for a green card for yourself without help from an employer or a relative.

Your second friend is correct - you can only be sponsored by an employer or a US citizen close relative. There are other options however - if you can invest $1 million in a US business and generate new employment for 10 US citizens, you can get a green card.
If you are an exceptional athlete or scientist (internationally recognized) you can petition for a green card for yourself without help from an employer or a relative.

Thanks, NKM - I appreciate it.

No, I'm not a 'super-star'; neither do have a stash of ca$h to throw. I am therefore considering a move to Canada - I understand that I can then live/work in the US (after securing Canadian citizenship in a couple of years); is that correct?

Thanks, again.

I am therefore considering a move to Canada - I understand that I can then live/work in the US (after securing Canadian citizenship in a couple of years); is that correct?

Not merely on the basis of your Canadian citizenship. You still need to go through the same hoops as before, with the exception that you have the TN visa available to you, which is just another employer-sponsored work status.

Hi, guys.

I'm new to this forum - I work for a MNC in Dubai. I have a q - regarding US citizenship (or the underlying Green card)

One friend moved to the US from the UK - thru wife. He informed me that ANYBODY (willing) could sponsor my move to the US. Is this really true?

Another friend, a newly naturalized US citizen says that barring an employer, I can be sponsored by only the four relationships:
i) my parents (if US citizens)
ii) my spouse (if US citizens)
iii) my children (if US citizens)
iv) my siblings (if US citizens)

Could you please advise, who is RIGHT?

Thank you for yr time.

well like a fellow member of the forum stated once, lemme repeat it here

"deliver osama to america" and they would grant u a GC on heroic grounds !
good luck with canada, but from ur post its kinda evident that america is where you want to be
either of these two countries are better than any Arab nation.....good luck again.... with osama and ur immigration plans to canada

well like a fellow member of the forum stated once, lemme repeat it here

"deliver osama to america" and they would grant u a GC on heroic grounds !
good luck with canada, but from ur post its kinda evident that america is where you want to be
either of these two countries are better than any Arab nation.....good luck again.... with osama and ur immigration plans to canada

I like yr wit, funny man. No, I'm no Arbie, I'm of Indian origin, and work for Motorola...

Not merely on the basis of your Canadian citizenship. You still need to go through the same hoops as before, with the exception that you have the TN visa available to you, which is just another employer-sponsored work status.

Thanks for replying. Any idea/estimate how long it might then take to secure Permanent Residency in the US?

Thanks for replying. Any idea/estimate how long it might then take to secure Permanent Residency in the US?

Depends on the route you take. Get married - very quick. Get certified as an international manager / excellent researcher - very quick. Get in some other queue and get stuck waiting for priority date to get current - anywhere from 5-10 years. Come illegally and get rolled into the amnesty bill - anywhere from 1 year to 20 years.

However, for many people, the idea is to get into US, and start GC processing - besides the risk of job loss and company going out of business - one can remain in US indefinitely since H1 etc., can be extended easily once your GC is filed (check the visa boards for fine print and current situation).

I like yr wit, funny man. No, I'm no Arbie, I'm of Indian origin, and work for Motorola...

well thanks, if ur of indian origin working in an arab country its even worse... lets leave that part, why dont u try for an H1 , whats ur qualification like? the economic climate is getting stabilized. if u have the credentials for it, getting an H1 is not as hard as people make it sound like. if your a techie guy i could hook you up with consultancies who can help you get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
well thanks, if ur of indian origin working in an arab country its even worse... lets leave that part, why dont u try for an H1 , whats ur qualification like? the economic climate is getting stabilized. if u have the credentials for it, getting an H1 is not as hard as people make it sound like. if you a techie guy i could hook you up with consultancies who can help you get it.

Thanks for replying.

I have a 3-yr degree in Commerce (is that sufficient to apply for a H1B visa?), and my area of work is Accounting & Finance. Would there be any takers for me?

I am a functional expert in Oracle ERP.I also have some Diploma and certifications for Oracle programming and functional modules.

I have enough experience in outsourcing models and, currently I am responsible for implantation of System Project accounting in Oracle for all our Telecom projects in Middle East and Africa.

Aside, I am regional finance manager for MEA region with my additional responsibilities in Tax compliance of MEA.

Let me know if some consultants can be interested in this kind of Profile

Johnson

I am a functional expert in Oracle ERP.I also have some Diploma and certifications for Oracle programming and functional modules.

I have enough experience in outsourcing models and, currently I am responsible for implantation of System Project accounting in Oracle for all our Telecom projects in Middle East and Africa.

Aside, I am regional finance manager for MEA region with my additional responsibilities in Tax compliance of MEA.

Let me know if some consultants can be interested in this kind of Profile

Johnson

I believe that ur credentials are pretty good, ur certifications and the relevant experience should help you meet the eligibility. lets wait for a feed back. I'll hook you up with consultancies so you can discuss more in detailed with them. just bear in mind, these people will try to take advantage, so just be prepared

both your friends are wrong. not just anybody can be a sponsor and you do not need to be a USC to sponsor somebody.

both your friends are wrong. not just anybody can be a sponsor and you do not need to be a USC to sponsor somebody.

Oh, yeah? Which law are you referring to? Please SUBSTANTIATE; otherwise, it would be pure hear-say. (I noted that you're not a USC, still...)

Status
Not open for further replies.