Greencard renewal form I-90 after 10 years

egvarch

I currently have a greencard which expired in 2010 and wanted to renew it. The issue at hand is that I have been living in Colombia and have not returned to the US since 2016 and am afraid my greencard will not be renewed as I have been out of the country for over 5 years. If I file form I-90 am assuming DHS might consider I have abandoned my permanent resident status and would not be willing to renew my greencard. I have been offered a job in Miami only if I can renew my greencard, as my employer at this time is not willing to sponsor a work visa. Do you consider there is any other way of returning to the US at this time? Due to to current economic issues in the country and high unemployment rates I would want to relocate with my family to the US. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Regards!

I don’t see any basis on which you can argue you haven’t abandoned residence, you’ve been gone for 5 years.

Yup! You’re presumed to have abandoned residency considering you’ve been away from the US for over 5 years. And I don’t see how you’ll be re-admitted into the US with an expired GC (assuming the airlines even let you board the plane in the first place).