Greencard holder applying for spouse in Pakistan

sr_jinka

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I am trying to find out some information on how to go about applying for a visa for my wife in Pakistan.

I would like to know:

1) Can I apply for a K visa for her? If not, what other options are available to me?

2) While her application is still being processed, can she obtain a visitor's visa to come here for a few months at a time?

Can I apply for a K visa for her? If not, what other options are available to me?

A K visa is only available to the fiancee, spouse or minor children of a US citizen.

While her application is still being processed, can she obtain a visitor's visa to come here for a few months at a time?

There's no statutory prohibition against it, but it is unlikely. She needs to demonstrate very strong ties to her home country, like a job and property.

Thank you for the reply, TRC. Would you happen to know what type of application a GC holder can file for a spouse?

Thank you for the reply, TRC. Would you happen to know what type of application a GC holder can file for a spouse?

You are looking at essentially applying under family category 2A. The current wait is 4-5 years. See ... http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_4406.html

Most other "stop-gap" solutions (visitor/student visa, etc) would require no immigration intent which is near impossible if one's spouse is in the US (unless you can arrange for an H1 type of visa).