Green Card "Undeliverable"

MumboJumbo

Registered Users (C)
My green card was approved and was apparently sent to my old address where I used to live 4 years ago. I got this notification email from USCIS:

"The USPS reported that the card we mailed to you was flagged as undeliverable on November 10, 2012. To obtain more information about your card, please call our customer service at 1-800-375-5283."​

My attorney told me to submit AR-11 for change of address so I just did it today. Has anyone had the same problem? What do I have to do now? Do I have to wait another 2-3 months for my address change to be processed? I heard it costs like $400 to replace a green card. But if the card was return to the USCIS, it shouldn't need to be replaced, right?

You never filed a change of address form? Do that immediately, including using your LIN number. Then, call them after a couple of days and ask them to send it again.

Form AR-11 will not change the address for your green card delivery. You have to file a separate address change specifically for the I-485 case.

Someone said I'd have to file i-90 to replace a card and pay $400. Is that true?
If the card got lost in the mail due to your failure to properly notify USCIS of your address, yes you'll have to pay for a replacement.

However, "undeliverable" probably means the post office returned it to USCIS, so it was not lost. If you quickly get your new address linked to your I-485, they should send it to your new address with no extra charge.

After I called them and updated my address, they tried to send it and yet again I got "undeliverable" email notification from them today. Is it a type of mail that requires a signature? Usually USPS leaves a pink paper for a notification so that you can pick it up at a local post office.

They could have just screwed up again and NOT updated your address, or the system still used your old address or something. Call them about it again and make sure the system shows things correctly.