Green card through marriage, what's neededd?

DSee

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I'm a US Citizen and recently got married.
My wife came to the USA with a tourist "B2" VISA and stayed longer than the "90" days she was authorized to.

What forms do I need to submit to Immigration in order to get her a Green Card?

I-130?
I-485?
Both I-30 and I-485?

Thanks a lot for the help.

PS: I've searched on the USCIS website but I was a little confused.

Thanks for the link.
So basically I'll need the following:
I-130
I-485
I-864
G-325A

Wow, it'll cost us over $1000.

Hello,

I'm a US Citizen and recently got married.
My wife came to the USA with a tourist "B2" VISA and stayed longer than the "90" days she was authorized to.

Was that an actual visa stamped in her passport at a US embassy, or did she use the visa waiver program?

B2 visas normally allow 6 months, while 90 days is the standard for the visa waiver. So maybe she actually used the visa waiver, not a B2 visa. Please clarify exactly what she used to enter the US; there are significant differences between them when it comes to adjustment of status. And how long did she overstay?

She came to the USA with a B2 VISA and was allowed 6 months (sorry for the 3-month confusion).
That happened back in 2007, so she's been here for around 3 years (2.5year overstay I would say)

We met in the USA and also have a 1-year old son together... It's a 100% legit marriage.

She came to the USA with a B2 VISA and was allowed 6 months (sorry for the 3-month confusion).
That happened back in 2007, so she's been here for around 3 years (2.5year overstay I would say)

We met in the USA and also have a 1-year old son together... It's a 100% legit marriage.

Her having had an actual visa makes things much easier. One note of caution: she should NOT file an I-131 and under no circumstances depart the U.S. until after she gets her greencard. If she got advance parole and departed she would be barred for 10 years.

The cost is more like $1400 plus any charges for medical exams and any lawyers (if you are fairly capable of reading and following instruction--you can skip a lawyer).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I've finally started to fill out all the paperwork, and I have a few questions:

I-485:
a) Would it be better to get Medical Exams done before sending the I-485 forms?
b) We live at my father's house, so we don't have any bills together.
- I've added my wife to most of my credit card accounts and bank account.
- We have a 1-yr old son together, sending copies of birth certificate.
- We have over 10,000 pictures together (over the years), should I send a few?
What else would I need to prove our marriage is bona-fide?

c) Her Birth certificate is in Portuguese, so I'm going to get it translated with a Notary Public. Does anything else need to be done?
d) Do I send ALL forms and documents in the same envelope? Like the i-864, G-325A, i-485, I-130.. Seems like a LOT of paperwork..

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
a) It's not just better, it's the RULE to send the medical results with the I-485.

b) Don't send the pictures. Whatever you send will be in government files forever. Your son will more than make up for the lack of bills etc. But bring a few pictures to the interview, particularly those with two of you together in front of a famous landmark.

c) A notary public doesn't have to translate it (and how many notary publics do translations from Portuguese?). It just has to be an individual or company that is qualified to do certified translations. But if you know a notary public who can translate it, go ahead!

d) Yes, everything in one envelope or there will be delays. Of course, you can't use a regular 4x9 letter sized envelope.