Green card through family members

mag31

Does anyone know how long it takes to get green card through family member who already has citizenship?
I'm wondering how long is this process and what my chances are to get the green card through family member.
I'm looking for any informations about this kind of visa.

thanks,
Magda

that depends on the family member: through a sibling - 12-14 years, through a parent (depending on your age and marital status) from 1 to 8 years, through a child over 21 years old - about a year.

LucyMO said:
that depends on the family member: through a sibling - 12-14 years, through a parent (depending on your age and marital status) from 1 to 8 years, through a child over 21 years old - about a year.

You are kidding me 12 years!!!! ????
My sister got citizenship this year and I was thinking that she can be my sponsor and apply for green card for me.
If I decide to go through this whole process, can I work while my case is in process?
I have OPT visa till July 2006 so I need to find a way to get a new visa which allowe me to stay and work in US.

Magda

I am not kidding. Sorry. Your sister can apply for you, but it will be about 12 years till the moment you can file for adjustment of status (provided that you stay in legal status all this time) and get a work permit.

If she doesn't apply for you, you can try to get another non-immigrant visa. Once she applies for you - your chances of getting a non-immigrant visa will become extremely low.

i have a family situation - neec advice LucyMO and gurus

Hi .
My cousin came on a Bussiness Visa - converted to F1 ( was doing Kaplan), then h1B to do his residency. He is now doing his fellowship.
His mom a USC applied in 2001 (PD 8/01).
His H1b is expired last month.
Can he go back on f1?
If he does not apply for any Visa , then can he wait in US with no legal status till his PD becomes current and use 245(i0.
thanks in advance.

Mg

if he has no status at the moment, he can't change his status in the US. Was it his visa or his status that have expired? is he currently working in H1B status?

Plus, with I-130 filed on his behalf it will be next to impossible to prove non-immigrant intent. Was it his visa or his status that have expired?

as for 245(i), talk to a good lawyer.