Green Card - Minor name change

chris.candid

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,

I would like to change the LAST name of my daughter to my(father's) LAST name. All of us are Indian Citizens and have Green cards .

I have following questions. Any response in this regard is very much appreciated

1. Should I change LAST name on my daughter's Indian Passport - First ?
2. Should I change my Daughter’s Birth Certificate - Second ?
3. Should I change my Daughters School records - Thrid?
4. Should I change my Daughters Green Card by filling I-90 - Fourth? ( With name change proof on Indian Passport)

Should I make all the changes in the above mentioned order? Please advice and I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks much in advance.

If it makes your life easy, I would rephrase the question to:

Would LAST name change on Indian Passport is sufficient to change LAST name on Green Card ?

Thanks again for your time... Please help me ...

You'll need to file a name change petition with your local state court.

Thank you very much for the info. I assume Name change certificate with local court is Sufficient to change Last name on Green Card. Please advise.

I understand NAME change on Indian passport is a different procedure. Do You think NAME change on Indian passport should be done after name change on Green Card ? Please advise.

Thanks much .I am planning to avoid the courts here. On other thought:

Would LAST name change on Indian Passport is sufficient to change LAST name on Green Card ?

Probably not, unless they also gave you a name change document issued by an Indian court.

Probably not, unless they also gave you a name change document issued by an Indian court.

Thanks much. Unfortunately Indian Embassy is not going to provide any document indicating the name change. In that case, do you recommend going through US courts for name change ? . Please advise.

No Court order

I successfully changed the LAST name of my daughter on Indian Passport. However, the local court has denied to issue name chnage document as my daughter is not a US Citizen. Do you think copy of passport with new name can be show as proof for green card name change(I-90 )? Please advise. Thanks a bunch,

Thanks much. Unfortunately Indian Embassy is not going to provide any document indicating the name change. In that case, do you recommend going through US courts for name change ? . Please advise.