Green Card Lottery During Political Asylum

YAHA12

Registered Users (C)
Just wanted to get your thoughts on whether it is a good idea for a person to apply for the GC lottery while having an asylum case going through the Immigration Court? Would applying for the lottery exacerbate chances of having asylum approved?

Advice and opinions are welcome.

Just wanted to get your thoughts on whether it is a good idea for a person to apply for the GC lottery while having an asylum case going through the Immigration Court? Would applying for the lottery exacerbate chances of having asylum approved?

Yes you can. But probably you have to get back to your COP for IV processing in case you win of course.

If you don't have your GC you should be eligible to apply.

If you don't have your GC you should be eligible to apply.

Theoretically, say I was lucky to be selected during the lottery. Would the immigration judge just close my asylum case because I was about to receive my GC through other means?

Theoretically, say I was lucky to be selected during the lottery. Would the immigration judge just close my asylum case because I was about to receive my GC through other means?
I didn't quite understand the question, Could you explain where you are in the process,so someone will have answer for it.

Be careful

1.- there is no problem applying for the green card lottery, but you have to be aware that if you are selected you might need to go back to the country of prosecution, because the green card of the lottery is processed at the country of citizenship. Only through asylum (refugee) and marriage are the only ways that you can adjust your status in the US withouth leaving the country, for the rest you have to leave the country.

2.- you also have to be aware that if you overstayed your visa in the US, you might be subject to a ban of entry of 3 or 10 years depending on the overstay. So even if you are selected in the green card lottery there is no waiver for overstaying your visa in the US and you wouldn't be allowed back in the US. So even receiving the green card through lottery does not mean that you will be allowed back in the US.

be careful

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a friend who actually won the lottery. But since she applied for asylum, there would be no way they'd approve her had she gone back to COP to process her GC from lottery.

IMO, don't bother trying. Give the chance to someone else who can use the opportunity IF they really win it.

Good luck on your asylum case. I am, too, still on the same boat.

1.- there is no problem applying for the green card lottery, but you have to be aware that if you are selected you might need to go back to the country of prosecution, because the green card of the lottery is processed at the country of citizenship.

You do not necessarily need to go back to your country of citizenship to obtain a GC through the lottery. You can obtain it through adjustment of status. Many people go this route. There have been experiences of asylees gaining GC through DV AOS.

If you win, then you will have to sort these issues out. There is no reason not to enter the lottery.

Thanks for your help. I downloaded the needed information and it states that there is nothing that can stop you from entering. However, you will have to meet the elegibility requirements if you are selected. I will apply and, if successful, will consult my attorney on the matters.

There are two things you need to consider
1. If you win the Lotto, you can only get it if you have not violated immigration laws. MUST be in good status.
2. You can claim your GC adjustment of status here in US, or can go back to your home country.

There are two things you need to consider
1. If you win the Lotto, you can only get it if you have not violated immigration laws. MUST be in good status.
2. You can claim your GC adjustment of status here in US, or can go back to your home country.

I've maintained my F-1 status for 6 years when I applied for asylum. My case is still pending right now so does that mean I can apply for DV lottery?

I talked about this to my lawyer and what he told me was basically, only way a pending asylee can adjust his/her status is by marriage or asylum approval :eek: