Green card if fiance has an outstanding warrant

I did take the comments to be pretty rude. I came here for help, maybe this is why many people don't bother posting to ask for help if judgemental/sarcastic responses are what they get in response. However, i accept the apology. NO ONE knows my situation except me so no one can really comment on it. He has one felony and a few misds. The felony was not violent or sexual, i have looked into the IMBR law and he doesn't fall within those specific crimes. He is 23 and has a chance to straighten out his life.

However, do except the worst of these comments/thinking to come from the Interviewing Officer him/herself. They can be very very rude (from general public perspective) sometimes - and more frequently with marriage based GC apps specially when they smell things. If you are applying in US, you are probably better off talking to a lawyer and taking one with you.

So imagine, Al is your IO and be ready to support your case with solid answers and documents.

I guess thats true:). I will be filling in the UK, do i still need to involve a lawyer?

What evidence/ documentation is required?

1. phone calls from my phone bill (land line) in the UK to his pre paid t-mobile number? Is a pre paid simcard in his name adequate? i can print of evidence that it is in his name but i cant print of any phone records on his end... only on mine. Or do you need to have a post pay account in your name for evidence that i called him or is prepaid sufficient?

2. Myspace messages that date back to when i met him, which correspond with my first flight

3. A few emails, we usually talk via myspace so before looking in to this i didn't think to email much.

4. Whilst, i visited him in the US i sublet apartments from two separate sub letters (renters of the apartment) i paid them cash, since he was staying with a friend and didn't have his own place. I have email correspondence with the subletters before i left the UK and they can write me an invoice in both of our names for the time we were there. However, its not an official landlord letter or anything. Is an invoice from subletters and email correspondence sufficient, to show we lived together?

5. I have flight itineraries for three times i went out there to visit him up until now (and visa stamps in passport), i have one boarding pass (coming home this last time... i didn't think to keep boarding passes).

6. I have one flight (in his name) paid on my card, that he gave me the money for.

7. I have lots of pictures in different places, a few videos. I hope to get photos with his family when i next see him in his home town.

I cant think of anything else that we have as proof, anything in both of our names etc... its pretty hard when you dont live in the same country to have apartments/bank accounts etc in both names... how do others do this when they are not in the same country? lol

I guess thats true:). I will be filling in the UK, do i still need to involve a lawyer?

What evidence/ documentation is required?

1. phone calls from my phone bill (land line) in the UK to his pre paid t-mobile number? Is a pre paid simcard in his name adequate? i can print of evidence that it is in his name but i cant print of any phone records on his end... only on mine. Or do you need to have a post pay account in your name for evidence that i called him or is prepaid sufficient?

2. Myspace messages that date back to when i met him, which correspond with my first flight

3. A few emails, we usually talk via myspace so before looking in to this i didn't think to email much.

4. Whilst, i visited him in the US i sublet apartments from two separate sub letters (renters of the apartment) i paid them cash, since he was staying with a friend and didn't have his own place. I have email correspondence with the subletters before i left the UK and they can write me an invoice in both of our names for the time we were there. However, its not an official landlord letter or anything. Is an invoice from subletters and email correspondence sufficient, to show we lived together?

5. I have flight itineraries for three times i went out there to visit him up until now (and visa stamps in passport), i have one boarding pass (coming home this last time... i didn't think to keep boarding passes).

6. I have one flight (in his name) paid on my card, that he gave me the money for.

7. I have lots of pictures in different places, a few videos. I hope to get photos with his family when i next see him in his home town.

I cant think of anything else that we have as proof, anything in both of our names etc... its pretty hard when you dont live in the same country to have apartments/bank accounts etc in both names... how do others do this when they are not in the same country? lol

No one can give you exact list of stuff as there isnt such thing. You need to look for things that generally constitute and present in a marriage.
- Meet with friends and family on both sides, pictures, names, places
- Both know others future plans. Future plans together
- How, when you guys met and proof of that
- How frequently you both see each other, proof of that
- Did he buy you anything - engagement ring, vacation together - proof that he paid for it.
- And his financial stability (lot of other folks here raised it) and meeting the requirements of sponsor and/or finding co-sposor.

Thanks for your response.

How can we provide proof of were we met if we met on the beach? i only have proof of us being together after that, a month later when i met him again.

I plan to meet his family, and if he can get off work, hopefully when he has secured a decent job he can meet mine. Is it necessary to meet both sides of the family? if i meet his is that enough?

Any idea about phone records, what about skype calling records?

We have time to gather as much as possible so making sure im informed.

How can we provide proof of were we met if we met on the beach? i only have proof of us being together after that, a month later when i met him again.
Find some evidence that you were both staying somewhere near that beach at the time you met, like a hotel reservation and/or airline ticket to the part of the country where the beach is. Of course, if he lives near the same beach he wouldn't have anything for a hotel or airline flight for himself, but you should have that for yourself.
I plan to meet his family, and if he can get off work, hopefully when he has secured a decent job he can meet mine. Is it necessary to meet both sides of the family? if i meet his is that enough?
If he has not met your family, it will smell very bad to the interviewer.

Last edited by a moderator:
He doesn't have anything like that as he was staying with a friend, and he didn't have a bank card and unemployed at the time so didn't have much money. The day i met him i had my flight home, as i was killing time on the beach before hand, i don't have anything else. I don't think most people have evidence of where they were all the time! the second time i came out a month later, i have more evidence of where we stayed and things i bought etc. But he doesn't have evidence of things he bought because he didn't have a bank/credit card as he lost it in the move, he had a job were he was paid cash for while. He did have a GR card (for unemployment), which shows his purchases in the same area that i have purchases on my card and we have invoices from the subletter in which we stayed.
Also he has a flight home, which i put on my card, the same day and time as me, same airline also. And we have pictures.

Next time we see each other (when he gets out), he should have his card sorted, job etc so we will have more to proof. We dont plan on filling for a while anyway.. its a long term plan. We plan to get everything sorted first. So we have plenty of time to gather more evidence.

So as long as you have evidence on going in the relationship, how important is the first day you met? I read the USCIS requires a couple to have met in person at least ONCE in the past two years.. we will have evidence of meeting up many more times than that.

Also he has a flight home, which i put on my card, the same day and time as me, same airline also.
That should be good enough, as it shows you both being in that same city or county on that date.
So as long as you have evidence on going in the relationship, how important is the first day you met? I read the USCIS requires a couple to have met in person at least ONCE in the past two years.. we will have evidence of meeting up many more times than that.
That's also good. Having evidence of the day you met is not essential, it is just more helpful than if you don't have it. Be aware that because of the bad impression created by his past, you need all the help you can get.

If i was going to marry to get a green card i would hardly choose a felon, with all the issues it brings lol.
Playing devil's advocate here ... the interviewer could think that if you were going to marry to get a green card, the best person to choose is a felon. Because people with clean records are less willing to risk tarnishing their own record by conspiring to enter a fake marriage, and less likely to need the money* involved in a fraud marriage than a felon whose job prospects are bad. And while most women would be concerned about a felon getting violent with them or implicating them in crimes (e.g. if he sells drugs and they find drugs in your house, they'll probably arrest you too), you wouldn't care about that if you aren't going to live with him.

*when it is a fake marriage, it is common for the US citizen to receive money from the immigrant spouse or the immigrant spouse's family.

I see what you mean. By the time we apply which isnt for a while, we have much more evidence of him buying me things on his card etc and me living with him, as we have a long term plan and probably wont be applying for a while. He skipped parole, and was in a situation where he was in a different state with not much money and a cash in hand job, but that wont be the case his time is up and he gets everything sorted, may take a few years but it should happen.

Playing devil's advocate here ... the interviewer could think that if you were going to marry to get a green card, the best person to choose is a felon. Because people with clean records are less willing to risk tarnishing their own record by conspiring to enter a fake marriage, and less likely to need the money* involved in a fraud marriage than a felon whose job prospects are bad. And while most women would be concerned about a felon getting violent with them or implicating them in crimes (e.g. if he sells drugs and they find drugs in your house, they'll probably arrest you too), you wouldn't care about that if you aren't going to live with him.

*when it is a fake marriage, it is common for the US citizen to receive money from the immigrant spouse or the immigrant spouse's family.

Jack,

You clearly articulated all points I had intended to cover on this forum with the OP. The OP is missing the stench which is going to be unbearable for the IO. What are the probabilities of an English woman, crossing the Atlantic and choosing a felon? More disconcerting, she is a college student for that matter? The future husband has no way of being employed at least in this housing market, who is building houses like chickens laying eggs? I remember 4 years ago, you pass one neighborhood and 3 weeks later, the house is finished and people are ready to move-in...:) The IO will need to know how the OP intends to support herself if the husband is unable to find a job. What happens if the husband extend his violent past to this new bride?

As an IO for this case, I have these questions which the OP should attempt to answer:

Why are you marrying this guy with all these problems? People with problems can be helped, don't get me wrong. As an IO, I am tasked with ensuring that people who marry do it for so-called love, but this one makes me cringe.

When did you meet? Under what circumstances? Has your husband being to the UK?

What is your husband's favorite football team?

Your husband is unemployed, how have you being supporting yourselves? This is where the suspicion of illegal drug trafficking or weed selling can enter the lexicon of the IO, not to verbally express it but to think of ways people make money.:cool:

Madam, do you have any criminal history? I see you check NO on the questions of being detained, arrested or cited. Do you have a police clearance from the UK? If so, let me see it. The idea here is simple, criminals like to hang out together, so with his colorful history, the IO could be inclined to think she is a transatlantic felon too or somehow connected to some crimes...:eek:

Do you have joint ownership of any assets? Health insurance? Oh..no, I can't afford to include my husband on my student health insurance, he's unemployed and constructions co. can't afford medical due to the slow economy. As your IO, you can't afford insurance for you two? :confused: Ok, where is your bank statement, I see deposit of $$$, where is this money coming from? My parents in the UK wired me 5000 pounds, ;)...

Guys, I can't see this passing the smell test, but USCIS has been know to pull of many surprises, so I stand corrected.:D

Thanks for the discouragement once again!

Please read my above post, we are not applying for a while, we are giving ourselves time for him to find a job and keep it, and for me to finish university. There are many cases im sure where the USC has a previous record, and unless it falls under the IMBRA act or AWA it wont stop the USC petitioning. The USC, will show evidence of a job and meeting the 125% requirement by the time he applies, if it takes years to show this then it takes years. I really dont understand why you are trying to discourage me so much, i only came on here for help, i have already heard your point and there is no need to keep repeating it... YES i got....how is he going to support me when hes got a criminal record? i have already explained to you that he has job opportunities/ he will take his time to find a job/ many felons can find jobs in certain areas its NOT impossible as you are trying to make out/ in fact my dad knows many from working in the construction trade. I am enquiring into this early so that i am informed, but it will not be for sometime until we file/get married.. which is enough time to gather evidence and him to sort his job out etc.

I will stop posting here, since i am already stressed about the process and posting here isnt really helping.

Thanks for the discouragement once again!

Please read my above post, we are not applying for a while, we are giving ourselves time for him to find a job and keep it, and for me to finish university. There are many cases im sure where the USC has a previous record, and unless it falls under the IMBRA act or AWA it wont stop the USC petitioning. The USC, will show evidence of a job and meeting the 125% requirement by the time he applies, if it takes years to show this then it takes years. I really dont understand why you are trying to discourage me so much, i only came on here for help, i have already heard your point and there is no need to keep repeating it... YES i got....how is he going to support me when hes got a criminal record? i have already explained to you that he has job opportunities/ he will take his time to find a job/ many felons can find jobs in certain areas its NOT impossible as you are trying to make out/ in fact my dad knows many from working in the construction trade. I am enquiring into this early so that i am informed, but it will not be for sometime until we file/get married.. which is enough time to gather evidence and him to sort his job out etc.

I will stop posting here, since i am already stressed about the process and posting here isnt really helping.

I am only playing a devil's advocate here, because the examination from USCIS is going to be a colonoscopy. If were you, will get used to it. I am only probing this weak case with strong counter-arguments, so if you are discouraged, you won't survive USCIS, especially abusive and power hungry IO.

You need to get used to it and build up a thick skin so you can be calm and collected in the interview, otherwise the interviewer will BRUTALIZE you and make you fall out of your chair and cry. Many people with clean straightforward situations get harassed, so you can imagine that yours will be 300% worse. Consider the harsh comments and questions in this thread to be practice for what you can expect in the interview.

Anyway, it's good to see that you are not rushing into this. If he can keep his nose clean for the next couple years and better organize his job situation, your chances of approval will be improved.

You need to get used to it and build up a thick skin so you can be calm and collected in the interview, otherwise the interviewer will BRUTALIZE you and make you fall out of your chair and cry. Many people with clean straightforward situations get harassed, so you can imagine that yours will be 300% worse. Consider the harsh comments and questions in this thread to be practice for what you can expect in the interview.

Anyway, it's good to see that you are not rushing into this. If he can keep his nose clean for the next couple years and better organize his job situation, your chances of approval will be improved.

Thats exactly what we are doing. he will prove to me also that he can do it too!
Im not discouraged, i just don't appreciate sarcasm when something is this important in my life. We are in love and one persons opinion will not stop us. As i said we will be in better light by the time we actually apply and he has a steady job etc. If by then we have all the evidence, money requirements and the relationship is a true and bonafide and we know that in our hearts then we shouldn't have anything to worry about. Its not to late for him to change his life around at 23 IMO, he really does want to go straight which i believe and he knows the job requirements etc if he wants to be with me, if it doesn't happen, well i dont think it wont happen because i know him, but its a risk im willing to take.