Green Card Holder travel back and forth to the US every 6 months

tianh2002

Registered Users (C)
I am currently a US Green Card Holder. I got my green card through my son. When I got the green card, I stay in the US for 1 month and then go back to Vietnam, staying in Vietnam for 7 months, and then go back to US. At that time, POE send me to secondary screening but they let me in the US without any trouble. I think the reason they send me to secondary screening because I stay overseas for 7 months.

After that I just stay in the US for about 2 months, then go back to Vietnam until now. I would like to know could I travel back and forth to the US every 6 months to maintain my green card?

I have file the permit entry and waiting for its approval. If it get approval, could I stay in vietnam for like almost 2 years and then go back the US with my permit entry, would the POE let me in the US without any trouble?

Thanks so much for helping me.

Keeping each trip to 5.5 months can still land you in trouble at the POE, if you have multiple trips like that and the trips are close together.

But with a reentry permit, they almost always let you in without a hassle, as long as the reentry permit is still valid. Unless you're on your second or third reentry permit.

Why do you need a green card? Remember, you have to file taxes on your WORLDWIDE income when you have a green card. Is it worth it if you're spending just 1 or 2 months per years in the US?

Why not surrender the green card at a consulate using form I-407 and apply for a tourist visa? Once you voluntarily and officially surrender the green card, it is easy to get a tourist visa.

I don't intend to live in the US for long term. I try to apply for tourist visa in Vietnam but they turn me down because my son is the USC. They told me I don't have strong ties to Vietnam so the US Consulate denied my tourist visa application. So the only way to come to the US is through green card.

Do you think if I give up my green card, the US consulate will approved my tourist visa?

Thanks

I try to apply for tourist visa in Vietnam but they turn me down because my son is the USC.

That will change once you officially surrender the GC. Voluntarily surrendering the GC is a strong indicator of not wanting to immigrate. You can surrender the GC and apply for the tourist visa at the same visit to the consulate.

That will change once you officially surrender the GC. Voluntarily surrendering the GC is a strong indicator of not wanting to immigrate. You can surrender the GC and apply for the tourist visa at the same visit to the consulate.

Another options is to just take chance, that is just use GC to enter USA for a short visit and then go back to Vietnam. Then after some time, do it again. Also apply for re-entry permit

I know a lot of people do this. I know a lady said her mom wnt back to home country and stayed there
for up to 2 years and then come back without nay issue, even without re-entry permit.

This is common practice among retired seniors. They really do not like to live in USA because they
feel lonely but they need to visit their childrens occasionally. They got GC via their children sponsorship
so they just use GC as longf term tourist visas. They pretty much have such attitude : If you take away my GC at border, then I'll just go back at your expense.

Another options is to just take chance, that is just use GC to enter USA for a short visit and then go back to Vietnam. Then after some time, do it again. Also apply for re-entry permit

I know a lot of people do this. I know a lady said her mom wnt back to home country and stayed there
for up to 2 years and then come back without nay issue, even without re-entry permit.

This is common practice among retired seniors. They really do not like to live in USA because they
feel lonely but they need to visit their childrens occasionally. They got GC via their children sponsorship
so they just use GC as longf term tourist visas. They pretty much have such attitude : If you take away my GC at border, then I'll just go back at your expense.

when she got in without the reentry permit , did she tell the POE that she has been away for 2 years or what exactly?
thanks alot in advance

The problem with that approach is that if CBP realizes what they're doing and the card is revoked, they'll probably be unable to obtain a tourist visa. Whereas if they voluntarily surrender the GC it's easy to get a tourist visa.