green card holder for 15 years how many tax return do I need.

CatinDenver

Registered Users (C)
I have been a green card holder for 15 years, and applying for n-400 soon.

How many tax returns do I need? I have always filed however a few years ago I moved and I guess I lost one box with documents, coundnt find it, I only have like the last 10 years of tax returns.

My GC was EB3 but my sponsor sold the co. and retired long ago, is USCIS going to call the company to verify employment? I stayed approx 1 year after gc.

I appreciate any help.

If you're applying with the regular 5 year rule and not the 3 year marriage rule, and don't have extensive travel abroad in the past 5 years, and never had any tax issues such as not unpaid/overdue/unfiled taxes, you probably won't need ANY tax returns for the citizenship process.

If you're applying with the regular 5 year rule and not the 3 year marriage rule, and don't have extensive travel abroad in the past 5 years, and never had any tax issues such as not unpaid/overdue/unfiled taxes, you probably won't need ANY tax returns for the citizenship process.

Thanks Jackolantern no extensive travel no problems with taxes or arrests.

Not even traffic tickets.

another question, do I need any paperwork from the sponsor, I believe they sold the co. to someone else and my previous boss retired, so I am not sure if I can get any info from them.

mode ractsdo

my question also is if USCIS Calls sponsors to verify my employment because the co. was sold and they came along long after I was gone

And My sponsor retired.

They won't call unless there are reasons to suspect fraud.

Thanks TheRealCanadiann. The issue is my sponsor no longer owns the company, it was sold. And he retired, so should I give USCIS His information? Sorry, I have not talked to him in years, all I know is he sold the co. and retired and I moved half a country away.

Let me know what you think I am very concerned about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks TheRealCanadiann. The issue is my sponsor no longer owns the company, it was sold. And he retired, so should I give USCIS His information? Sorry, I have not talked to him in years, all I know is he sold the co. and retired and I moved half a country away.

Let me know what you think I am very concerned about this.

Relax, you are being needlessly paranoid.

First, they won't bother you with the details of your GC application unless there is something that looks fishy.

Second, even in the latter case, they won't try to contact the I-140 sponsor directly. If they have a question/problem, they may ask YOU to provide some additional evidence related to your employment. So if you are really worried, bring copies of your W-2's for the years related to the GC application and the first several years on GC (although it is rather unlikely that you'll be asked for that, and you certainly should not show these W-2's unless specifically asked for).

Relax, you are being needlessly paranoid.

First, they won't bother you with the details of your GC application unless there is something that looks fishy.

Second, even in the latter case, they won't try to contact the I-140 sponsor directly. If they have a question/problem, they may ask YOU to provide some additional evidence related to your employment. So if you are really worried, bring copies of your W-2's for the years related to the GC application and the first several years on GC (although it is rather unlikely that you'll be asked for that, and you certainly should not show these W-2's unless specifically asked for).

Thanks baikal for your help. The thing is when I moved from Colorado to Texas, that was after my first wife passed, one of the documents boxes was either stolen or misplaced by the movers (maybe someone thought because it was heavy I was something valuable but it was just paperwork). I cannot find tax returns for earlier than 2001. I have the last 10 years. IRS does not keep anything older than 10 years either

I know I sound paranoid but reading this boards can affect you like that LOL but I learned a lot from here to , thanks

Let see how the interview goes.