Green card for the baby born outside USA

US preclearance facilities what is it? I have never heard about it :eek:

Certain ports\airports where a traveller goes thru US immigration prior to boarding a plane. Are you in the Middle East?
Select airports in Canada, the Caribbean, Ireland, and Abu Dhabi have pre-clearance facilities.

Certain ports\airports where a traveller goes thru US immigration prior to boarding a plane. Are you in the Middle East?
Select airports in Canada, the Caribbean, Ireland, and Abu Dhabi have pre-clearance facilities.
Yes , we are in the Middle East . But how does it work? We will not have a transportation letter.

Hi, thanks a lot because of this perfect and useful site.
We are a green card holder and our baby's green card process is initiated at the POE in first entry of him. Becuase of my personal problem, we had to leave the U.S. before the baby's physical green card is mailed by USCIS to the given address? Is the stamp in the baby's passport enough to allow the baby to travel/come back to US while the green is not available? If yes, are the airlines aware of this stump validation or we have to get transmission latter again? And how can we follow (which site or email address) to be aware of last status of my baby's GC? 2 months passed but no any news about that!
Thanks and have a good time all.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks a lot because of this perfect and useful site.
We are a green card holder and our baby's green card process is initiated at the POE in first entry of him. Becuase of my personal problem, we had to leave the U.S. before the baby's physical green card is mailed by USCIS to the given address? Is the stamp in the baby's passport enough to allow the baby to travel/come back to US while the green is not available? If yes, are the airlines aware of this stump validation or we have to get transmission latter again? And how can we follow (which site or email address) to be aware of last status of my baby's GC? 2 months passed but no any news about that!
Thanks and have a good time all.

Your feedback is highly apperciated. Thanks

We are LPR Parents. Our daughter born in India received entry in US traveling with mom, and GC was filed at the Point of Entry. However, it's been 5 months now, still Green Card has not been received. Any idea how long it takes to receive the Green Card? Is there a way to track where it stands?

Hi, my son is born in India on May 2016. I am on H1 and son and wife on H4 Visa. I-485 filed for me and wife but not for son since he still did not came to US. Son and wife can not travel back to US for another 7 months due to sons health.

Now my dates are current and got medical RFE for me and my wife. I have medicals done for wife before she left the country and are less than 1 year old.

1. Now what will happen if GC is approved when she is outside US? Some people are saying I can mail the card and she can enter with Green Card

2. Secondly, how can I bring my son to US since we will receive the cards and can not file his I-485

Please let me know what can be done in my case

Hi, my son is born in India on May 2016. I am on H1 and son and wife on H4 Visa. I-485 filed for me and wife but not for son since he still did not came to US. Son and wife can not travel back to US for another 7 months due to sons health.

Now my dates are current and got medical RFE for me and my wife. I have medicals done for wife before she left the country and are less than 1 year old.

1. Now what will happen if GC is approved when she is outside US? Some people are saying I can mail the card and she can enter with Green Card

2. Secondly, how can I bring my son to US since we will receive the cards and can not file his I-485

Please let me know what can be done in my case
1. She can return on her AP (if still valid), or a green card that is mailed to her

2. After you get your green card, file I-824 for follow-to-join and he will consular process in India

Thanks newacct.

My wife and son both have H4 visa stamping until 2019.

Please let me know how long it will take to process I-824?

Since son will be less than 2 years old, can he get transportaion letter and get GC stap at port of entry?

My wife and son both have H4 visa stamping until 2019.
Oh, another option for your son would be for him to come on H4 (which can have immigrant intent) before you get your green card and then file I-485. That will be faster to get him here than consular processing. Note that he has to come and file the I-485 before you get your green card because as soon as your green card is approved (you become a permanent resident), you lose your H1b status, and all H4 statuses that are dependent on you are also lost.

Please let me know how long it will take to process I-824?
Not sure

Since son will be less than 2 years old, can he get transportaion letter and get GC stap at port of entry?
No, that would only be if he was born after issuance of your or your wife's immigrant visa, or if he was born after your wife was already a permanent resident.

I have sponsored my sisters to US in 2013, one of them have birth to twins and another got married in February. How can I add new family members to the application?

Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone,

I have read you guys answer and also researched and I am still confused.
Just to give a background, I am 10 GC holder, i just had my baby in Germany bc her dad is German and I was doing my master in Europe. I am planning to go back to America in March 2017 from Vietnam ( Im from there and im going home for Chinese New Year). The last time I was in America was March 2016 so it would be just about less than 1 year that I am out of the country. What I have been understanding is that as long as this is the first trip to America for both baby and me and she is under two years old then all I need is her Birth certificate and Passport and passport photos. However I have been reading and this is what I am stuck at. On many immigration and USCIS and US.Border and Immigration website, it stated that

But what happens when a child is born during her LPR mother’s temporary visit abroad?

Fortunately, the same regulations hold that children in this category also automatically acquire their parent’s LPR status, provided:
• The parent and child seek entry into the U.S. within two years of the child’s birth; and
Either accompanying parent is applying for readmission upon first return after the birth of the child.

In other words, two things must occur in order for a child born abroad to automatically acquire the LPR status of their parent: The LPR parent must cross the U.S. border with the child before the child turns two years old, and the parent must apply for readmission the first time they cross the U.S. border with the child. Even if a child is under the age of two, if a parent forgets to reapply at the border during their first crossing with the child, the parents will have to go through the arduous and costly process of applying for their child’s green card through traditional means.

I dont understand here where they say the accompanying parent is applying for readmission ? What are they talking about here? What I dont understand, I bolded.
Please if anyone know about this for sure, let me know.

Thank you

That means the parent is entering the US for the first time after the birth of the child.
Thank you so much for replying.
So just to make it clear, as long as this is the first time for both me and my baby going back to the US after she was born and she is under 2 yrs old, and I have proof that she is my child, then when I get to POE, her PP will be stamped with the I-551 and the process of her getting the GC would start from there , there is nothing else I need to do, is that correct?

Thank you so much for replying.
So just to make it clear, as long as this is the first time for both me and my baby going back to the US after she was born and she is under 2 yrs old, and I have proof that she is my child, then when I get to POE, her PP will be stamped with the I-551 and the process of her getting the GC would start from there , there is nothing else I need to do, is that correct?
Yes, as far as the US is concerned. But the airline might not know about it and you might need to get a transportation letter from the US consulate to convince them to let you board.

Hi

I got the document from US consulate, delhi. When you go there make sure you take the baby's passport and birth certificate. I can send you the document if you give me your personal email address.

Hi Kcr, can you please share the document you received from US consulate, I am in similar situation, please send it to vara.krishna@gmail.com. Thanks for the help.