Green Card Expiry Date

truedesi

Registered Users (C)
Hey guys,
just noticed. my GC has a Resident since 06/17/2004 and expiry as 09/02/2014.

I thought that GC are issued for 10 years while in my case it is ~ 10 yrs, 3 months. The reason it made me worry was in case my GC issue date is messed up in their system and if I apply they might reject because of timeline? like the other poster.

My I-485 approval letter has 06/17/2004 has notice date, so could it be that that is the date used as resident since and card expiry depends on the date card was generated?

Appreciate any comments?

Yes, that would make sense if the 10 years was based on when the card was created. Bring your I-485 approval letter to interview to clear up any possible confusion between what you show and what USCIS system shows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the residence since is the date your I-485 approved, and the card expires date is the 10 year mark from the date the card was made.

My residence since is 06/24/02, and card expires date is 02/26/13.

You're a resident since you are approved (could be the AOS interview).
However, your green card (not if a conditional one) expires 10 years after the date it was issued, and it could take several weeks to be issued after the approval.

You got a 16-year green card? :eek::confused:

No, my permanent resident status was derived from me being officially a refugee. I entered the United States with that status in 2002. Applied for my GC and physically got it in my hands only in 2008 due to delays and whatnot. It has a validity span of 10 years, but it says that I was a resident since XY/XY/2002.