green card correction

snay said:
---------- somebody 3-4 months back posed that immigration department(or airline from India) at Indian airport before departure to US were creating problem with I551 stamp, did you face any problem? If came from India from where did you took the flight to US. did you also show I-485 approval or they just checked the stamp?
At the immigration in Mumbai, that guy asked me for all possible forms of ID, The passport I had was a new one issued in Chicago. He was looking very closely. He also asked his neighbour about the passport and the other guy said its alright. Then he let me go. I showed him my drivers license from here and my old passport. I did NOT show him my greencard since it had incorrect name.

----------- when did you visit the local USCIS to file form I-90? becase now the I-90 has to be filed with LA lockbox address after May 31
I dont feel very comfortable mailing it. So I went personally. Also I went on May 27 maybe thats why it was okay.

----Did you ask for the new stamp or stamp was going to expire in 1-2 months?
She suggested to give me more time because the one I had earlier would expire in Feb 06, and she didnt want me to come there in the middle of winter. *very thoughtful of her*

-------- if your service center is VSC you may get new Card in 1 month time, a person filed I-90 with local USCIS NJ and got reciept from VSC in 10 days and then he got his Card on 25 th day after filing the I-90 with local office
Lets hope I get it that soon too. Will keep you posted. My service center is NSC.
thanks for the update. I have also problems with my my Card
I recieved the Card and my Card had my last name and part of my full name as LAST name on it ( i had also recived welcome notice and that also had the same mistake)
2 my AOS was approved in local office and they stamped my passport at that time and the stamp is valid for 4 months from today
3 I visited local office 3 months back to file I-90 and officer checked my A# and asked if i attended Interview in same local office and I said yes he then told me that they want my file trasftred again and will contact me. no meassge from them for 2 months. again I visited the local office after 2 months and again the officer said that they will contact me by phone wait for 1 month they did not take my I-90
4 my passport was going to expire so I got renewed from NYC consulate of India and the GC stamp is on my expired passport, somebody posted to other person in this thread that one can travel with new passport and valid stamp in expired passport. I dont know if it is true.
5 I have to go out of US in 1 month and will be back before the Stamp in passport expires( the valid stamp is in expired passport.
6 I have also to take filight back to US from MUMBAI airport, cold you please post if the airline just see the valid stamp only.
7 regarding the immigration department at Mumbai airport what other ID they are asking? I have new passport and expired passport stapled, I have DL, I have also wecome notice. please guide what other documents I should keep with me so that Immigration department at Mumbai dont create problems.
8 I am totaly confused now and dont know if I should visit local office again to get new GC stamp in new passport
9 i dont know if I need to visit local office to file I-90 as they have not called me or I should mail I-90 to new address.

Shikha said:
thanks for the update. I have also problems with my my Card
I recieved the Card and my Card had my last name and part of my full name as LAST name on it ( i had also recived welcome notice and that also had the same mistake)
2 my AOS was approved in local office and they stamped my passport at that time and the stamp is valid for 4 months from today
3 I visited local office 3 months back to file I-90 and officer checked my A# and asked if i attended Interview in same local office and I said yes he then told me that they want my file trasftred again and will contact me. no meassge from them for 2 months. again I visited the local office after 2 months and again the officer said that they will contact me by phone wait for 1 month they did not take my I-90
4 my passport was going to expire so I got renewed from NYC consulate of India and the GC stamp is on my expired passport, somebody posted to other person in this thread that one can travel with new passport and valid stamp in expired passport. I dont know if it is true.
5 I have to go out of US in 1 month and will be back before the Stamp in passport expires( the valid stamp is in expired passport.
6 I have also to take filight back to US from MUMBAI airport, cold you please post if the airline just see the valid stamp only.
7 regarding the immigration department at Mumbai airport what other ID they are asking? I have new passport and expired passport stapled, I have DL, I have also wecome notice. please guide what other documents I should keep with me so that Immigration department at Mumbai dont create problems.
8 I am totaly confused now and dont know if I should visit local office again to get new GC stamp in new passport
9 i dont know if I need to visit local office to file I-90 as they have not called me or I should mail I-90 to new address.

If it is easy to go to the local office and get a stamp on the new passport, I think you should do it. It wouldnt hurt to get new stamp and the other advantage is that the stamp will be valid for one more year.

The airline does not mind in any way if you have a stamp unless you are flying via Germany/England or any other country that require visa for transit. I went via NorthWestAirlines and I didnt have any problem with the airline.

At the immigration in Mumbai, I showed him my old passport, my DL and the new passport. I did not show him my greencard since it had an incorrect name. I didnt want to cause more confusion.
-Snay

Card Received

Finally a correct card is received after a long process. The incompetance and lack of quality assurance for applications will leave an ever lasting impression for this candidate. :D

Time line?

corr@john123456 said:
Finally a correct card is received after a long process. The incompetance and lack of quality assurance for applications will leave an ever lasting impression for this candidate. :D

Congratulations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Green Card name correction

I had my firstname split as First name and middle initial in the GC, based on the info got from the forum took an infopass appt and submitted I-90 on May16th and received the corrected card from TX Center yesterday June13th :) . Initially I thought it was going to take long but INS processed it relatively quicker. Good luck to folks waiting for the corrected cards.

I would like to extend my thanks to Mr.Ginnu for his advice.

Thanks

what documents ?

KovaiGC,

What documents did they take/see from you? Did they give you a receipt number for I90 filing? Did they take away your gc ? Also, by any chance did you go to the Atlanta USCIS?

Thanks,
Swami

See my answers in {}

skesarim said:
KovaiGC,

What documents did they take/see from you?
{Copy of my passport (geographic info page) and Copy of the GC application and two photographs}
Did they give you a receipt number for I90 filing?
{I got the receipt in mail after 2 weeks}
Did they take away your gc ?
{Yes}
Also, by any chance did you go to the Atlanta USCIS?
{Yes}

Thanks,
Swami

One more question from your reply

Kovai GC,

In your reply - you mentioned you had submitted copy of GC application.
Is this 1-90 or copy of your original 485 application that you submitted along with your GC.

Thanks again.
Swami

skesarim said:
Kovai GC,

In your reply - you mentioned you had submitted copy of GC application.
Is this 1-90 or copy of your original 485 application that you submitted along with your GC.
--------- with I-90 form he may have shown the copy of form I-485 that was submited to USCIS, you can also show I-485 filing reciept if it has correct name on it, you can also show copy of approved AP or EAD that has your correct name on it
Thanks again.
Swami

Swami,

Ginnu is right it should be copy of your 485 application if you went thro AOS, DS230 in case of CP. In either case I-90 is mandatory.

Finally Got Wife's GC Replacement with correct Name, But.....

Hello Everybody,

We finally got the new gc for my wife with the correct name and almost all the information correct but guess what!!! The Date showing on the "Residence since" is wrong. Instead of 11/18/04 which is our GC approval, they put 3/02/99 which was the date we first entered US.

Should we file a new GC???????

Thanks.

In my opinion you can refile the I-90 but you could be tempted not to change it because if you don't change it, you can file your citizenship right away if you don't do anything( 1999 + 5yr = 2004)
But I would be honest and re-file i_90 because they know when you got your GC and you could end up in a mess later on.

One question for you though:
Can you tell me how does the picture on your green card look like. Mine looks pale almost like black and white

Don't jeopardise your status

A typo on the date information is just that a typo, somewhere along the investigative citizenship process they will uncover this error. Because you applied for citizenship with the intent of deceiving them you will be in serious trouble. Apply for a new card which is the law and do not attempt the previous person's advice.

Thank you for the Advice!!!

corr@john123456 said:
A typo on the date information is just that a typo, somewhere along the investigative citizenship process they will uncover this error. Because you applied for citizenship with the intent of deceiving them you will be in serious trouble. Apply for a new card which is the law and do not attempt the previous person's advice.

Hello Everybody,

We have no intention of filing Citizenship early because of this mistake. I know that this is just a typo error and we will not jeopardize our future by filing fraudulent citizenship.

My concern is that it takes a long time for USCIS to process GC replacement and with the lockbox now, it might be probably longer. We are going to Canada in August, and my wife cannot go without the greencard. Do you think we will have any problem going in US from Canada if the date is wrong.

Anyway, I will have my wife call USCIS Customer Service to inquire.

Well, I don't think JimGren was advising you file your Citizenship now.All he did is warned you against that. Some people may get tempted to use it.

You could travel to Cananda but again you never know if they find at the border that your dates are wrong they may conclude that you have a fake GC. So get the new card and then travel.

And good luck calling USCIS. Ask you wife to call twice and you will find out that they will give you two different answers

And can you answer that q. on your picture please?

Last edited by a moderator:
E-file I-90

If Anyone can help me, I would appreciate it.

If I E-file the I-90, do I have to pay both the $185 processing fee and $70 biometrics fee if USCIS error on the gc?

Is it better to E-file than to send paper filing to Los Angeles Lock-box?

any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. I'm just tired of going thru all this. USCIS should have a better quality control to avoid these very simple mistakes.

Urgent!! Need Help With E-filed I-90

Anyone Pls help!!

My wife e-file her I-90 last night and made a big typo error. Her year of birth was typed wrong. We did not notice it until after we hit confirm and printed the form.

What can we do to correct this????? Should we call customer service??

Thanks for any advice.

Hi Acc,

Call Customer Service they should be able to guide you.

acc918 said:
Anyone Pls help!!

My wife e-file her I-90 last night and made a big typo error. Her year of birth was typed wrong. We did not notice it until after we hit confirm and printed the form.

What can we do to correct this????? Should we call customer service??

Thanks for any advice.

acc918 said:
If Anyone can help me, I would appreciate it.

If I E-file the I-90, do I have to pay both the $185 processing fee and $70 biometrics fee if USCIS error on the gc?

Is it better to E-file than to send paper filing to Los Angeles Lock-box?
--------------- better file with Los Angeles Lock-box and need to send only $70 ( download the new form from USCIS site only, read instructions)

any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. I'm just tired of going thru all this. USCIS should have a better quality control to avoid these very simple mistakes.