Green card and Social Sec

gc-despo

Registered Users (C)
I-485 for my wife and myself was approved in Nov 2004.
We got our passport stamped also in Nov 2004 and recieved our plastic cards in Feb 2005

Subsequently, between us we have made 3 international travels and re-entered without any issues

Today (June 2006) we went to the local Social Security office to update our SS cards. The SS officer told us that there is no record of our A-number on the system. They told us to check with USCIS.

After 1 hour wait, we spoke to USCIS officer. Officer told us to make appt at local San Jose USCIS office to clear this up.

I thought our GC troubles were over 1 1/2 years ago. Is this something for us to be worried about? What should we do?

i think you should do nothing , i did go to the SSN office , they do have an access to immigration database , and if they say you do not have A# , it might be the USCIS fuckup , so i think if you go back to the USCIS office and they find that they is an error , if this error happned less than 5 years after the GC approval , they can take away your greeen card , after 5 years they can not , so i do not understand why do you want to open this DOOR in your self , just enjoy life and wait until you apply for CITIENSHIP and then you can correct this error , but it will be to late for the USCIS to do any thing , so enjoy life until then

i think you should do nothing , i did go to the SSN office , they do have an access to immigration database , and if they say you do not have A# , it might be the USCIS fuckup , so i think if you go back to the USCIS office and they find that they is an error , if this error happned less than 5 years after the GC approval , they can take away your greeen card , after 5 years they can not , so i do not understand why do you want to open this DOOR in your self , just enjoy life and wait until you apply for CITIENSHIP and then you can correct this error , but it will be to late for the USCIS to do any thing , so enjoy life until then

If you're travelled numerous times and (most importantly) have the cards, the screwup is more than likely on SSA's end. Go back to SSA, and demand that they initiate the verification with USCIS. It will take several weeks, but there's no urgency.

Your A# exist and is good because you have been traveling and all your info appears everytime they (POE) scan your card when you get in. Since SSA must type all the info from the card (they don't use a card scanner) most likely is a typo a.k.a. finger error. I would suggest to go to another SSA office and if the error persists then ask for a superior.

In the other hand people have reported cases where the person just get the card and they still do not appear on the USCIS database. In that case, SSA won't issue any card or benefit until the person appear on the database. Since your card is some months old you should appear on the system already.(especially if you have been out of the country already and return without incidents).

After getting my GC, I had to visit every two weeks for three months to get a new SS card. Everytime they said that the database is not updated. Though it is a time consuming process, you have no other way. :(

just curious
ignore my ignorance
do everyone needs to go to SSN office after green card approval?

I am not sure if everyone need to go, but if you are on H1B, your SSC will have a condition which states something like 'Can work only with INS (USCIS) authorization'. After green card, you can get that condition removed.

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. 3 days ago, we took an Infopass appt and went to the San Jose USCIS office to get clarification from them. They checked my wife and my green cards, told us that we are permanent resisdents, no problem, and also acknowledged that the "record" had not been updated. They said that they would update the record and then send us a notification by mail (the officer took down our address) stating that the record has been updated.

They seemed to have all our info, including A number, DOB, our parents names etc. My guess is that there are 2 different databases - 1 for travel and POE use, and another for any services like Social Security etc.

Anyway, I plan to follow up with Social Security office in 2-3 weeks if I have not got any notification from USCIS by then.

Last edited by a moderator:
After getting the plastic cards do we have to do anything? I mean if we get the cards directly,
1. do we still have to go for stamping?
2. Do we have to do anythin with SSN? I mean do we have to go to SSN office and do have change anything on SSN?
3.My daughter did not have SSN, do we have to get the SSN before travelling out of country?
4. My wife does have SSN (taken based on EAD), do have to change anything?

Please answer, we wanted to travel abroad as soon as we receive the Cards (the cards are already mailed)

Srinixx123

1. MaKe sure that you inform USCIS of your address change (IF YOU HAD CHANGED YOUR ADDRESS) since the filing of your I485.

2. You and your wife probably would have an endorsement on the SSN cards (valid for work only with INS authorization). This needs to be removed after
becoming permenant residence. To remove the endorsements, go to the nearest SSN Office and tell the SSN rep that you need to have the endorsements removed. It's a few minute work for the SSN rep to make the changes in the system and you will be out. The new SSN cards should arrive
within two weeks.

Make sure to go with your DL, SSN card & the Passport.

3. Stamping is NOT a must. It was used as a proof of PR when travelling in & out of the US. Since you've gotten the card, you don't need the stamping.

4. If your daugher also got the residency, go to the SSN Office and get her the SSN card.

5. Normally it takes anywhere from few days to few months for SSN Office to get updated about non-immigrants' updates. So, you can take it easy for now, travel out of the country - after you've gotten the cards - and come back & remove the endorsements on SSN. It is NOT an urgency to remove
the endorsements per se.

Good luck
howdy_howdy
//

Howdy, Thanks for the info.

Do I have to get the SSN for my daughter, before leaving the country.Or it is nt neccessary. We wouldlike to go, as son as we receive the cards (within a day or two). Thats why I am cocerned, whether I have to do after getting the cards, before leaving the country. I am expecting my cards today or tomorrow.

Srinixx123:

SSN cards have nothing to do with travel... You do NOT need SSN card
to make the travel, to & from the US.

But, make sure that you have the cards (yours, your wife's & your daugher's)
before you travel, though :)

Good luck
Have a safe travel
howdy_howdy
//

you need to get your family's SS cards taken care of. The reason is mainly for taxes. If up until now you used a tax ID number for your daughter, you are going to need the actual SSN for her next time you file (make sure you file as a resident). As for your wife's and your's, the comment needs to go away, and that is done via applying for a new one.
Your solution makes perfect sense: wait a little, and then revisit the SS office. If USCIS have it updated, it should take care of it.
As for your trip, as Howdy Howdy indicated, you do not need the SS cards with you for your flights. You GC is sufficient to ID you and your family.

Have a safe trip, and let us know what has become of your issue.

Cheers.

If you need to travel abroad after you get your card do you need to submit your old I-94 to the airlines during departure.

Also what do you do with your old EADs and APs as well?.Do you need to return them or destroy them or what?

Please calrify..

Under normal circumstances, you give away your old I94 as well as all EAD's to the IO upon stamping your passport. No big issues if you lost one of your older (as in expired) EAD's. The same goes for any AP documents you have left with you.

In the past you used to go to the IO to get your passport stamped.. as the card used to take a long tme to come and you may have had to travel before the card came to you but nowadays upon your approval you get the card right away within a week..
So the chance to go and get your PP stamped does not come..

Thanks for clarifying. I am not sure what is the process today, but am pretty sure it is mentioned somewhere in this forum.

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. 3 days ago, we took an Infopass appt and went to the San Jose USCIS office to get clarification from them. They checked my wife and my green cards, told us that we are permanent resisdents, no problem, and also acknowledged that the "record" had not been updated. They said that they would update the record and then send us a notification by mail (the officer took down our address) stating that the record has been updated.

Hi gc-despo,

I just came across your post and, because I am exactly in that same situation, I am curious to know if and how long it took USCIS to update your record and if they called/wrote to notify you. Thanks in advance.