Govt's Efforts to Improve Employment Based Cases

We had some discussion yesterday at CSC forum at:
http://immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120477

Project Kashmir confirmed about 400 RFEs have been issued to late WAC02 and early WAC03 cases in middle March.
400 is pretty big number because the CSC has been adjudicating only 350-400 I-485 cases per month in average for last one year.

Also, confirmed that some of them are EB-2 (non NIW) and that their RFEs say:
Please Note: That this request is being initiated with prima facie review of the appliction in an effort to expedite adjudication of pending I-485 applications. Upon final review of the application it may be found that additional items are needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by kashmir

Project Kashmir confirmed about 400 RFEs have been issued to late WAC02 and early WAC03 cases in middle March.
400 is pretty big number because the CSC has been adjudicating only 350-400 I-485 cases per month in average for last one year.

Please Note: That this request is being initiated with prima facie review of the appliction in an effort to expedite adjudication of pending I-485 applications. Upon final review of the application it may be found that additional items are needed.

Hello Kashmir,

No rush to judgement.

On the surface both pilot programs (Dallas, CSC) look like a good attempt to solve the Backlog problem. However, there are still a lot of questions. As this is for NEW applications only, we have no idea as the status of already backlogged applications. Will they benefit or even get worse due to shifting of adjudicators?
The other question is how the issuing of RFEs will benefit us? Will they consider the Responses to these RFEs in a timely fashion? What about already expired FPs?

Originally posted by cinta
Hello Kashmir,
No rush to judgement.
On the surface both pilot programs (Dallas, CSC) look like a good attempt to solve the Backlog problem. However, there are still a lot of questions. As this is for NEW applications only, we have no idea as the status of already backlogged applications. Will they benefit or even get worse due to shifting of adjudicators?
The other question is how the issuing of RFEs will benefit us? Will they consider the Responses to these RFEs in a timely fashion? What about already expired FPs?
Hi, cinta,
I have the same concerns and doubts.

The CSC has just started processing I-485 cases filed in January 2002,
however with the current processing speed, it takes 8 months for the CSC to adjudicate one month of I-485 applications.

The CSC seems to use another resource for the Pilot Program so far.
Some applicants received RFE and FP notice almost at the same time.
I cannot understand why it would help reducing I-485 backlog at all.
I rather feel that it looks like a discrimination to long-waiting applicants having filed in 2001 or in early 2002 like me.
Anyway, most of long-waiting applicants would like the CSC to use such an extra resource to adjudicate old cases pending for over 2 years.

"The CSC also will be targeting previously-filed, non-NIW EB-2s, in order to bring their processing times down to match the pilot program processing. "

From the same press release - so they are looking at the previous cases too. Also good to note that they are actively trying to reduce the timeline for non EB2 cases too!!, that is very good for people like me, who dont have EB2 classification. (Though I would personally like DOL to take similar steps to fix problems in LC stages).

I think all of this is because of tireless efforts of Kashmir and the rest, so THANK YOU Kashmir and the rest for all your efforts. Hope you all get the benefits of these pilots and post pilots soon.

Originally posted by getit
Totally unfair if they don't have any compensation for old filers

This is the result of the projects initiated by Kashmir and participated by others. The backlogs problem is there but not visible to the CIS, or CIS didnot bother to address it until we bombarded with our faxes, emails etc.

I think its a best approach that CIS can come up with, though it leaves a bad taste for old filers. What CIS would gain here?

1. CIS can now claim that they are clearing cases in 90 days.

2. At same time CIS can avoid the ire of old filers by parallely working on them and clearing as soon as possible.

What is for us, after certian time eventually when the backlogs cleared the future applicants will continue to see, hopefully, approvals in 90 days are so.

how is concurrent defined?

they did not specify if this applies to both i-140 and 485 files on exact same calendar date or one and other filed a few weeks apart.

how long will justice be denied?

There are 2 news reports to expedite cases

1. pilot program to be implemented at CSC and TSC

2. all concurrent cases filed at ALL service centers after 04/30/2004 will be adjudicated in 90 days.

Which one of them is true? I see mention of first report in every site, but I don't see the mention of second news article anywhere except immigration-law.com

Can someone confirm the validity of these news articles and what the real deal is?

The second one would not be ture - old filers would all withdraw and refile their cases, since it is faster- results are backlog again.hahaha

Originally posted by hrithikroshan11
There are 2 news reports to expedite cases

1. pilot program to be implemented at CSC and TSC

2. all concurrent cases filed at ALL service centers after 04/30/2004 will be adjudicated in 90 days.

Which one of them is true? I see mention of first report in every site, but I don't see the mention of second news article anywhere except immigration-law.com

Can someone confirm the validity of these news articles and what the real deal is?

You are right. Those are in EAD track obviously stuck. I heard the "90" day is only in the pilot program. If they are really implementing the "90" adj at every center on every new case after 4/30, many of us here will be VERY upset. We need do something about it! Maybe Rajiv can clear some of this up.

I think this meant "90" is only for pilot program:

"This concurrent I-140/I-485 adjudication move appears to be separate from the pilot 75-day or 90-day adjudication program of concurrently filed I-140/I-485 and I-130/I-485 packets at the CSC and Dallas District Office beginning from May 2004"

I must have missed, where it says 90 days?

Originally posted by hrithikroshan11
Yes, it means it is separate from pilot program, but it is also a 90-day adjudication for concurrent cases filed at all service centers after April 30, 2004

2nd FP question

I got a very simple question here about the 2nd FP. Maybe I am missing a very small matter of fact but it sounds very unreasonable to me. The basis of fingerprint is that for an individual the fingerprints never change. It is on this assumption alone the law enforcement agencies keep record of convicts fingerprint so that it could be matched up with a fingerprint found at a future crime scene.

Now when an I-485 petitioner is fingerprinted, FBI runs the security checks and informs result to the USCIS. I also buy the assumption that a recheck is needed if the I-485 petition remains un-adjudicated for 15 months or longer. What I do not understand is that, after 15 months, why can’t USCIS simply request FBI to do a security recheck on the same fingerprint that was taken 15 months back (because that would remain unchanged). Why bother the applicants and use their own scarce resources in re-fingerprinting? Am I missing something here?

Re: 2nd FP question

Originally posted by jat
I got a very simple question here about the 2nd FP. Maybe I am missing a very small matter of fact but it sounds very unreasonable to me. The basis of fingerprint is that for an individual the fingerprints never change. It is on this assumption alone the law enforcement agencies keep record of convicts fingerprint so that it could be matched up with a fingerprint found at a future crime scene.

Now when an I-485 petitioner is fingerprinted, FBI runs the security checks and informs result to the USCIS. I also buy the assumption that a recheck is needed if the I-485 petition remains un-adjudicated for 15 months or longer. What I do not understand is that, after 15 months, why can’t USCIS simply request FBI to do a security recheck on the same fingerprint that was taken 15 months back (because that would remain unchanged). Why bother the applicants and use their own scarce resources in re-fingerprinting? Am I missing something here?

I do not think USCIS has infrastructure in place to store and track fingerprints digitally, hence the need to bother applicants. Needless to say that such a facility will help avoid delays and should be pursued further by the infrastructure development group at USCIS. we should probably write to the director of operations and bring this to their light if they have not already thought of this. However FBI will also need a level of integration with any such system.

CSC Pilot Program update from Project Kashmir

The CSC has issued 400+ RFEs to WAC-03 cases in March 2004,
and already approved 173 cases so far this month.

Meanwhile, the CSC has approved only 391 cases of WAC-02 filed thru JAN 2002 so far this month.

Also, FEB 2002 - JUL 2002 applicants have been totally ignored.
Originally posted by kashmir