• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Got the Visa but need your help on travelling

Nurberg

Registered Users (C)
First of all thank God i got my visa today after more than 2 months under AP.

guys, before i go to US can i travel to another country. for example, i am not in my country now so can i go back home first before i go to US. for your information my visa expires in 3 months, i thought it supposed to be 6 months.

Plz... Waiting to read from you all..

First of all thank God i got my visa today after more than 2 months under AP.

guys, before i go to US can i travel to another country. for example, i am not in my country now so can i go back home first before i go to US. for your information my visa expires in 3 months, i thought it supposed to be 6 months.

Plz... Waiting to read from you all..

You can go to any country of your choice before proceeding to the states.

Yeah, you may travel BUT for God's sake take good care of your passport !!

You said the visa is valid for only 3 mos, than the usual 6? ...weird!

what is printed there as the VISA ISSUE DATE?

Thanks for your replies.. joequi, Nuvf and bentlebee..
i also wonder why only 3 months.. the visa issue date is on 19 may 2010.
does that mean visa expires before 30 september..

Hi Nurberg,

This is very interesting, and the first time I've heard of the visa being issued only for 3 months. Even the rules and regulations clearly state it is valid for 6 months.

Would you mind sharing a little bit more info? What is your home country, where did you do your CP and perhaps any indication why it took them two months to complete the AP?

Many thanks, and congratulations! Don't let that passport out of your sight...

Thanks for your replies.. joequi, Nuvf and bentlebee..
i also wonder why only 3 months.. the visa issue date is on 19 may 2010.
does that mean visa expires before 30 september..

Nurberg, I think you are confusing yourself with the expiry date of your visa to that of the end of the fiscal year for dv-2010 winners. For your information, 30 September is the end of the fiscal year for dv winners to receive their visas (it's not the end date to move to the US). Every dv visa issued expires at the end of 6 months from the date of issue. If your visa was issued on 19th May, then you visa expires on 19th November, 2010.

Nurberg, I think you are confusing yourself with the expiry date of your visa to that of the end of the fiscal year for dv-2010 winners. For your information, 30 September is the end of the fiscal year for dv winners to receive their visas (it's not the end date to move to the US). Every dv visa issued expires at the end of 6 months from the date of issue. If your visa was issued on 19th May, then you visa expires on 19th November, 2010.

ammeck09, i knew that 30 September is the end of the fiscal year for dv winners to receive their visas and Every dv visa issued expires at the end of 6 months from the date of issue. however, my visa expires on 25 august 2010, that why i thought 30 September is also the end date to move to the US.

Same rule applied to at least some of DV2009 people having interviews at US Embassy Japan last year.
In theory Medical report is valid for 6 months and US Embassy Japan suggests it should remain valid at POE for the first time US entry using immigrant visa. I've read that, at the interview for DV2009 people, US Embassy Japan told some of them (not all of them) to enter US before Medical expires, and expiration date of their immigrant visas was set to 6 months from the date of medical report, meaning less than 6 months from the date of visa issuance. Exp date seems to return to 6 months again since the beginning of DV2010 interview though, the instruction coming with immigrant visa mentions something like "you have to enter US before Medical expires, otherwise you will be in trouble at POE".

Same rule applied to at least some of DV2009 people having interviews at US Embassy Japan last year.
In theory Medical report is valid for 6 months and US Embassy Japan suggests it should remain valid at POE for the first time US entry using immigrant visa. I've read that, at the interview for DV2009 people, US Embassy Japan told some of them (not all of them) to enter US before Medical expires, and expiration date of their immigrant visas was set to 6 months from the date of medical report, meaning less than 6 months from the date of visa issuance. Exp date seems to return to 6 months again since the beginning of DV2010 interview though, the instruction coming with immigrant visa mentions something like "you have to enter US before Medical expires, otherwise you will be in trouble at POE".

tmfl,
exactly as you can see from my signature i started my Medical on 25 feb that means it will expire on 25 august (6 months) and expiration date of my visa was set to the same date. So what you have mentioned here make sense.