got the GC after 10 years

faten

Registered Users (C)
hi everyone,
i have a good news. my dad applied for GC in 2007 and did the finger prints about 7 times. he got his green today.
he entered US in 1999. Applied for assylum in 2001 and was approved in 2005.
applied for GC 2007. he got it 2011.
It was a long time for him.

The date shown in the card:
resident since: June-2008
expire date : 2021

when can he apply for the citizenship?

He needs to add 4 years, 9 months and 1 day to his resident since date on his greencard in order to apply.

He needs to add 4 years, 9 months and 1 day to his resident since date on his greencard in order to apply.

thank you ,
his lower said he could change the date of residency ? is that real ?

IF the date shown on his greencard is incorrect, it can be changed. By law, the "resdent since" date should be backdated up to a year from the approval date of the I-485 (but may not pre-date the date of grant of asylum).

8 CFR 209.2

(f) Decision. The applicant shall be notified of the decision, and if the application is denied, of the reasons for denial. No appeal shall lie from the denial of an application by the director but such denial will be without prejudice to the alien's right to renew the application in proceedings under part 240 of this chapter. If the application is approved, the director shall record the alien's admission for lawful permanent residence as of the date one year before the date of the approval of the application, but not earlier than the date of the approval for asylum in the case of an applicant approved under paragraph (a)(2) of this section.

IF the date shown on his greencard is incorrect, it can be changed. By law, the "resdent since" date should be backdated up to a year from the approval date of the I-485 (but may not pre-date the date of grant of asylum).

8 CFR 209.2

(f) Decision. The applicant shall be notified of the decision, and if the application is denied, of the reasons for denial. No appeal shall lie from the denial of an application by the director but such denial will be without prejudice to the alien's right to renew the application in proceedings under part 240 of this chapter. If the application is approved, the director shall record the alien's admission for lawful permanent residence as of the date one year before the date of the approval of the application, but not earlier than the date of the approval for asylum in the case of an applicant approved under paragraph (a)(2) of this section.

However, if the person entered pursuant to an approved I-730 (or worse, an I-130) the date will be dependent on the status of the principal asylee on the date of the approval of the derivative's application for admission or adjustment.