Got OCI - do we still need to surrender indian passport

brokenarrow

Registered Users (C)
Those of us who have got the OCI already, so we still need to send in the renunciation form and pay $175 to get the surrender certificate. The Indian passport already has a cancelled stamp on it.

Hmm, I think you'll be ok since you are no longer an Indian citizen and you have your OCI documents. I doubt they can retroactively require you to pay the fee. If anything, don't bother transferring your U visa to your new passport in future in case they decide to charge you the fee at that point. Just carry your old passport with you.

I guess for now we will wait and see. After all we did not bend any rules to get OCI.
Only hope-- they won't term it as 'retroactive bending' in ' future Prospective scenario' 'rules may change without notice' kind of clauses!and charge past OCIs.
Just most governments in the world gives an advance notice and some times even invite public concerns before implementing(not only from citzens of that country but some times residents there too.
With GOI any thing may be possible.
Only thing is -- need to watch out.

I am kind of worried about my upcoming India trip where some immigration guy insists on this surrender certificate. But I have the canceled Indian PP and will take the plunge.

Only hope-- they won't term it as 'retroactive bending' in ' future Prospective scenario' 'rules may change without notice' kind of clauses!and charge past OCIs.
Just most governments in the world gives an advance notice and some times even invite public concerns before implementing(not only from citizens of that country but some times residents there too.
With GOI any thing may be possible.
Only thing is -- need to watch out.

Initially there was no requirement to carry the OCI document with the U-Visa. So people only carried their passports. Then some officers at entry ports started asking for OCI document. This caused lot of confusion.
Then Indian government said that OCI document was mandatory and nailed that.

Now history will repeat itself with surrender certificate. When you try to enter India you will need your surrender certificate. Then there will be a big noise and Surrender certificate will become mandatory.

I am kind of worried about my upcoming India trip where some immigration guy insists on this surrender certificate. But I have the canceled Indian PP and will take the plunge.

Talk about it- history repeats and we normally used to worry while entering US
and now the other way - so worry doesn't stop for us :):eek:

Imagine for those who got either Visa, PIO, OCI 10 years or even 20 years ago how can one even expect them to surrender or check at POE

so relax and do not worry for now

Last edited by a moderator:
Same question I have.

Got citizenship/OCI in Oct/Dec2008. Cancelled Indian Passport with me. Trip in August around the corner. anyone called/checked indian consulate if we need the surrender certificate for those who already have OCI/Cancelled Indian PP. I have emailed them and update.
Thx

According to the penalty table for surrender certificate, date is 2005. Anybody obtaining foreign citizenship after 2005, will have to pay 175.

This is stupid country. They never help their own citizens and it seems it is unwelcoming any more after becoming US citizen.

Yes.. The SAGA Continues...

Those who had forecasted / predicted that this Surrender Certificate will again be retroactively be made mandatory slowly with stealth have been proved correct.

Travisa / NY consulate now need Surrender certificates for any consular services for OCIs.

Moreover the "Cancelled"stamp and our OCI registration from 2005 onwards in our passports is not enough ! It should be "Canceled as acquired US citizenship".

Wonder how this could be our fault when consulates were just Cancelling the passports without proper stamps in 2006 when we acquired OCI certificates !

So we think ..OK ..it will be another 20 dollars as we had acquired foreign citizenship prior to May 2010. But wait .. NOW ... when we get to do this Renounciation process Online we get slapped a penalty of 250 dollars automatically because Indian passport has expired after 1st Jan 2005.

Wonder when this confusion will be sorted out. I sincerely pray and hope that this is sorted out soon and Cancelled stamp will be acceptable without penalty.

I personally know many people who have similar notifications ! This will mean that potentially thousands of people who have acquired OCI during 2006 to 2010 and have "Cancelled" stamp as opposed to "Canceled as acquired US citizenship". will for no fault of theirs have to face a penalty All of us have got the OCIs after 2005 as scheme was formalised late 2005 and innaugurated in Pravasi Bharatiya day on 2006 anyway and many would have just "Cancelled" stamps.

Having said that I agree that there has to be penalty for people who have misused the Indian passports and travelled on it even after obtaining US citizenships.

Good Luck to everyone !

Here are conflicting / confusing information in different Jurisdications

1) indianconsulate.com/5OtherConsularServices/1CitizenshipRenunciation.html
Please note that if you have acquired US (foreign) Citizenship on or before 31 May 2010 and if you have "Cancelled" stamp on your Indian passport, then there is a no requirement of acquiring "Surrender Certificate". If you do not have a cancelled stamp on Indian passport then you need to get the "Surrender Certificate".

2) news.rediff.com/report/2010/jun/02/citizenship-rules-changes-relief-to-indian-community.htm
Those who currently hold an Overseas Citizen of India card or a Person of Indian Origin card are not required to undertake these procedures.

3) indiacgny.org/UserFiles/Renunciation%20scenarios(3).pdf

NY Consulate Declaration of renunciation surrender certificate under different situations

4) sikhcoalition.org/documents/SurrenderCertificateFAQSAALT.pdf
How to Meet Indian Citizenship Renunciation and Surrender Certificate Requirements:
Information for Former Indian Citizens September 2010

5) cgihouston.org/NEWADVISORY.doc
Latest advisory regarding renunciation of Indian nationality

Good Luck

it might make a difference if we take 2 mins to report this UNFAIR penalty to the consulate

The latest update on the forum here is exactly what happened to me and I HAVE aired my complaint to the consular (cgisf@cgisf.org).

It is irresponsible, unfair to treat Sincere and Law abiding citizens like us with these penalties JUST because some bad apple misused the system!!! Simple!!

On top of this, this is the consulate's freaking mistake:mad: - why they did not automatically cancel the passport when we applied for the service (PIO/OCI or whatever..) - it is only now that they seem to realize and they do it automatically.

So I strongly suggest that all of us protest and opine through their channels or anything available...