Got my TN and now next steps

S_Menon

Registered Users (C)
Thanks for all the inputs. I prepared the documentation as it was stated in the forum and got my first TN at the Peace bridge yesterday without any issues in approximately 15 minutes.

Now I will appreciate if someone can tell me what are the next procedures for me to start a life in US.

In Canada we apply for SIN card, then health card etc. Similarly what are steps to be taken in US.

Thanks in advance.

Does your company not give you any information?

You need to apply for SSN. see ssa.gov

what day of the week and time did you get your TN done, i am going beginning of next month to the peace bridge.

Go to get your ssn (i had to wait in line for 7 hours). no health cards in the US like in canada, you have to get private health care if it isnt provided by your job. get drivers license.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went on Wednesday at 1.15 pm. There was no one else at that time. And all the officers were in a relaxed mood.

After you get your SSN you need to buy a giant SUV or truck that you will drive alone, fill it with gas, and then complain about the price of gas.

also work on pronouncing out and about like an american, i cant tell you how many times someone says "you're canadian arent you, you said oot instead of out!" I never thought I had an accent but apparently I do.

also, when asking the location of something, add the word "at" to the end.
ex: Where did I park at?

Pete,

I never noticed the "at" thing, but now that you mention it, I realize that I am the biggest user of that myself - " Hey where are you at"?

Pete's right when he says "about", "doubt" and "out". Leave that accent at home.

And always answer with "Uh Hugh" after someone says something to you - it's nice and ambiguous so they'll never know whether you understand what they are trying to say or not. You'll notice that in restaurants or any service industry after you say thank you.

And it's not a "washroom" - it's a restroom. You'll find yourself in the cleaning closet if you ask for the washroom.

Pete,

I never noticed the "at" thing, but now that you mention it, I realize that I am the biggest user of that myself - " Hey where are you at"?

Pete's right when he says "about", "doubt" and "out". Leave that accent at home.

And always answer with "Uh Hugh" after someone says something to you - it's nice and ambiguous so they'll never know whether you understand what they are trying to say or not. You'll notice that in restaurants or any service industry after you say thank you.

And it's not a "washroom" - it's a restroom. You'll find yourself in the cleaning closet if you ask for the washroom.

People used to give me a weird look when I used to pronounce "z" (Zed) and not "zee"..

omg washroom i totally forgot about that one, when you ask for the washroom they look at you like you are speaking french.

I will never understand how someone can call it a restroom, but when you say washroom common sense doesnt take over and say they must mean the bathroom.

when i am tired i dont say, "i need a rest, im going to sit on the toilet in the rest room", yet if i want to wash my hands i go to the wash room

Pete,

I've never really broken down to that. But given that you are in Forida and I'm in SoCal, I seem to get a better reaction when I ask for "bano".

But I think we just go with the universal terms and say "Hey bud, where's your shi*#er"? There would be no questioning that.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I tell someone I'm going on 'holidays' their eyes glaze over as they try to figure what 'holy days' I might be observing.

.. and like pete said, its not that we have different words (everyone has different words), it's that saying 'zed' or 'holiday' or 'bathroom' or writing centre or labour completly stuns and confuses so many yanks.

When you were up in canada and someone said x-y-zee, did it stop you in your tracks

I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one with an accent...but mine is coming from that my first language in French...I don't say my "H"!

Here in PNW a lot of people said "you know" all the time...

a few more

Here's one that I remember...here when you count the bills in your wallet, you have to take them out and physically count them out one hand to another. You can't just skim them and count by colour. Here, the change in your pocket really is just pocket change. There are no loonies or toonies that can really add up. Also, depending where in the US you are, you may not get what you want if you ask for pop. If you happen to be in New England, you may not have to go through Tim Horton's withdrawal...they are popping up all over.

Tim Hortons......gotta agree with you on that one. I don't think Wendy's has done a particularly good job of spreading that chain around. I don't know if much has changed since they went public. Why it's all in the north east is beyond me.

Last time I was in Ottawa, they were on many street corners.

Now, too bad you weren't here three years ago. You could have bought a million dollar house, an SUV, BMW and Mercedes. Don't have the income? Don't worry, just say "Hey I make this much" and they would say "Okay, sign here, third copy is yours". You could have easily taken on a million and a half dollar debt load.

If you follow this advice, forget the green card - you could go straight for citizenship.