• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

got my J1, but the consulate know nothing about the DV thing !

hassan731

Registered Users (C)
hi there

i received my Visa (j1), but while i was waiting for it to be issued, i received the DV lottery thing, i won it, i was not expecting it at all! and the consulate dont know about it at all !
i wanna get there and apply at the INS (i dont know its new name) and i would like to know if it's possible to get a waiver for my J1, in a very short period of time , u know, since i won it , i guess they're gonna treat me like a lotto winner
:p

anyway,

hope you can have some info about that!
thanks a lot in advance !

JI Visa precludes you from getting a green card through visa lottery. If you enter the US using a J1, you will have to go back to your home country for 2 yrs before re-entering or alternatively follow an exception route which might include working in a rural area (if you are a doctor)

My advice is forget about the J1. and process your green card through CP in your home country. You might want to confirm from the US embassy in your country or an attorney on what you need to do

I understand that you are in the US. why don't you call the USCIS customer service and ask them about you visa and the lottery.
I came here with a J1 visa and I had to apply for a J1 visa waiver before I could apply for Adjustment of Status.

call the Ins and they will tell you what to do. If you do not have the obligation to go home for 2 years you might not need the waiver.

Call the USCIS and an immigration officer will tell you how to proceed.
And do it as soon as possible.

afraid

i dont think that marrying an American would make any difference with a J1, that's why i want get the DV thing ! it's my only way dude !

My husband and I were both on J visas when we won the DV. We don't have the 2 year home requirement so we were fine - but I don't know what happens if you are subject to it.