Going back to TN after 6 years on H1-B

CanadianKam

Registered Users (C)
I read somewhere that after using up the 6 years of H-1B, one can change status only to E1/E2!! I was under the impression that I could go back to TN for the same employer or for another employer as long as I can satisfy the border officer that I still have strong ties to Canada.

You can just as easily go back on TN after 6 years of H1 as you can after 6 years on TN, so long as you have not submitted an I-485 (which would also prevent you from getting E1).

The E1/E2 advice was probably playing to a general immig crowd (non_cdn, therefore non-TN eligible).

And there is no need to have strong ties to canada in any case, again, so long as one has not recently lost an I-485 bid.

I would have trouble returning to an employer that kept me for 6 years without even starting LC for me.

Thanks Nelsona. The employer got me a LC last year. However, for several reasons, I have decided not to proceed with GC application. Long story short: I have no long-term plans to live and retire in the US. Plus, ever since the last time we discussed the name/background check, I have run into quite a few people of my ethnicity (regardless of their nationality or religion) who have been stuck in 485 for years and years. I have not come to US to subject myself to humiliation and harrasment.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with this thread. Just wanted to clarify where I am coming from in response to your comment about my employer.

If you filed LC last year, you are probably eligible for 7th year h1, at least renewed before january of 2008, when your LC will expire. This would be better than TN (which is much more 'humiliating' than waiting fo GC)

Thanks for the advice but believe me Nelsona there is nothing humiliating about getting a TN. You are a white anglo (as you have mentioned it before) so it is way beyond your comprehension to even slightly understand what a real humiliation is. Don't take it personally coz this is an established fact in a post-9/11 era. You don't believe me, answer the following questions:

1. Have you ever been Specially Registered (NSEERS) at the border?
2. Have you ever been fingerprinted, photographed and interviewed every single time on your entry and exit to and from the US?
3. Have you ever missed your flight due to 1 and 2 above even though you went to the airport 5 hours before your departure? In other words, have they ever made you sit in the backroom for 4 hours?
4. Have you ever been told that you just happen to have a Canadian passport and you are not really a Canadian? Very insulting, huh?!
5. Have you waited for your GC since 1999 and they still won't tell you if you are approved or not? All they tell you is that you are stuck in background check coz you were born in a middle-eastern country.
6. Has USCIS ever sent you RFE to prove you were Specially Registered coz USCIS believes you should have while the border officers didn't think so? Then you might ask yourself who screwed you? The border guys or USCIS?! This is a problem on top of the background check problem that comes later!

And the list goes on! I should say you have got a taste of it by being stuck in name check due to having a common name. I give you that much. But you aint seen nothing yet!

So please restrain your comments to the stuff you know pretty well and you have proved to be good at. Believe me the stuff I'm talking about is out of your league. As you said it before, let's not get sidetracked!

You can take my advice or ignore it... going on TN (if you are even allowed to; your invective would seem to indicate that you either already have a pending I-485 or else it is you that doesn't personally know about waiting for GC, or TN) will not make your situation better, and I'm simply saying that you are allowed to renew H1 (something you probably didn't know, eh?) as long as your PERM remains viable, which is at least Jan 2008, which means the earliest your would have to switch from H1 is maybe Jan 2009. Try and stay focussed (something us white anglos are pretty good at) on your current issue.

I have been on both TN and waiting for 5 years GC, so please don't tell me what I 'know pretty well' or don't.

I'm also a brit citizen. My having a brit passport however doesn't make me any more 'british' than you quite frankly. That is just a fact. i can live with that.

Try and stay focussed (something us white anglos are pretty good at) on your current issue.

Wow! That is a very racist statement! It didn't take much to expose your true self. Sir, YOU ARE A RACIST!

I knew it from your sarcastic and rude remarks especially to new members of this forum.

And BTW, I never applied for 485 and I am still in my first 3 years of H1-B. See, all your assumptions were wrong! That's typical of racists: judgmental, prejudice and making wrong assumptions about people.

Also, you still have no clue what Special Registration (NSEERS) is. Enjoy your freedom of speech and good luck with the wait for your name check clearance!

Nothing I have said is inaccurate. i have answered your questions far beyond what you needed to know, or are able to assimilate.

And playing the racist card to hide your ignorance shows that you are well suited to remaining in US. Please stay here.

Try and stay focussed (something us white anglos are pretty good at) on your current issue.

I quote you again. Milk is already spilled on the floor. You can't take it back. There is no racist card game around here. You already exposed yourself. It is now a FACT that YOU ARE A RACIST!

And I would look at your technical answers with caution because usually people like you have a hidden agenda even though your knowledge of immigration stuff is pretty good.

Because you don't know what Special Registration (NSEERS) is, should I call you ignorant too? Got you! SO STOP INSULTING PEOPLE!

BTW, I am here in the US to make $$. I am not here to beg for a GC. And I was never a member of Neo-Nazi or White Supremist groups. Being a member of these groups will certainly get one's name check clearance stuck for years. :D

Have you gotten the answer you were looking for?

I would now suggest you stop blithering on about NSEERS (and racism) and stay focussed. You are spewing the intellectual equivalent of KAM (as a Cdn, you do know what Kam is, eh).

Hopefully someone will be able to talk you down from the ledge when the time comes.

Again, please stay in the US. Please.

Last edited by a moderator: