Going back to India

Re:eek:nam

Your missing the point. I don't think people are saying that there will be a cermonious welcome when u go back, but we are trying to see the pros and cons of living in US after being raised/stayed in their mother land for such a long time.

So don't be under an false illusion, as people on this board are smart enough to make their own decisions after considering their priorities.

Last edited by a moderator:
My messages was exactly the same, 'Don't have the false impression about India". It is a country of 100 plus crores and most of them are living there with dignity. There is no need for any kind of debate to go back to one's own mother land. As a reminder, most of us, came to this country without the help of any debate in these kind of forums. We considered ourself capable of making decisions good for ourselves. When we have made the major decision of coming to a new world, why this frivolous discussions on going back to a place which we know very well. Let us spend the time on more constructive things which will benefit humanity. Everyone knows very well that one cannot 'keep the cake and also eat it at the same time'.

Originally posted by onam
My messages was exactly the same, 'Don't have the false impression about India". It is a country of 100 plus crores and most of them are living there with dignity. There is no need for any kind of debate to go back to one's own mother land.

Last I checked, u'r no one to question this debate. Move on if u don't like it or don't learn anything from it.

As a reminder, most of us, came to this country without the help of any debate in these kind of forums.

- Maybe u didn't debate it, I did compare the pro's and cons and am still learning from this new place.

We considered ourself capable of making decisions good for ourselves. When we have made the major decision of coming to a new world, why this frivolous discussions on going back to a place which we know very well.

Well, it maybe frivolous discussion for u.

Let us spend the time on more constructive things which will benefit humanity.

Maybe, Constructive for u is destructive for me?

Humanity - What is that?

chat forums

Last I checked, u'r no one to question this debate. Move on if u don't like it or don't learn anything from it.

The above lines are yours. The basic mindset before joing any chat forum is to keep an open mind to everyone's point of view. Remarks like who are You, your are no one, comes out of frustration and are childish.

Humanity what is that? was your other question. Look around you, you will understand what is Humanity. To understand wht is humanity one do not need high tech education, he or she needs a heart which can feel others pain and sufferings.

Thank you and take care

An interesting discussion

I have been debating the India vs US thing with a lot of friends. After a lot of thought, I invented this Tool to help me make that decision.

Ask yourself this question and respond honestly:

How much money would it take for you to go back to India?

A. How much 'bank balance' should you have before you reach India? (factor the salary reduction into account)
B. What kind of work do you want to do out there?
C. How much salary would be acceptable?

If you have lived in the US for more than three years, you need to seriously consider the three following rules:

1. DON'T EXPECT TO BE TREATED AS ROYALTY: Some people think they deserve to be treated as royalty just because they are Foreign Return. Indians tend to respect foreign-returns and give them an advantage over the rest. Accept that with grace and move on. Dont keep shoving your US stint in the face of the locals

2. UNDERSTAND THE SYSTEM: The system works differently in India. Whether its good or bad or ugly, well, thats the way it is. Corruption is a reality. But consider that as 'premium processing'. Try to figure out ways to dodge the other problems. Purchase property in suburbs where you dont have to deal with pollution, poverty etc. Try to look for houses in townships. There are several townships located in very scenic places (such as Kerela, Gurgaon, etc). Amenities are comparable to developed countries.

3. PREPARE YOURSELF FOR THE STRUGGLE: Weren't you mentally prepared to struggle when you came to the US looking for opportunities? The initial phases ARE going to be a struggle. Be mentally prepared for the change. Dont go back expecting the entire country to change because YOU are not comfortable!

I am in the US. I have made up my mind of going back to India. Not because I want to 'give something back to my motherland' or 'pay back my dues', but because of ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITY!

Economic opportunity was the primary reason we came here. We came here because we wanted to make it rich. Today, I believe, if we struggle just as much as we struggle in the US, there is tons of $$$ to be made in India. Its just a matter of finding the right idea. Banks/financial institutions are loaded with money! The government keeps coming out with really awesome investment incentives. But not many people care to capitalize on it. (what a waste!!).

In the US, supply far outpaces demand. The success rate of enterprenuers is not very promising. But in India, demand for good, quality products outpaces supply by far. Thats why the prices of quality products are astronomical!! (Economics 101)

My answers to the above questions are
A. $100,000
B. There are several jobs in India that match my profile
C. Atleast Rs 1,000,000
(which is within the current salary range for people with my background)

Im working towards the $100,000 figure. Ive already shortlisted the places I want to stay and have real-estate prices/living expenses figured out.

Now, its just a matter of time!!

Re: Re: An interesting discussion

Originally posted by JoeF

This may have been the reason for you, and probably for a lot of people from the developing world. But you shouldn't extrapolate from your personal reasons to the general case.
Since I am from Western Europe, with about the same standard of living as the US, my reasons to come here were different. And I haven't met anybody from Western Europe who came here to "strike it rich".

I thought this was a discussion for GOING BACK TO INDIA!!! Why dont you start your own thread about GOING BACK TO WESTERN EUROPE!!

People come here from India to 'strike it rich' as the primary reason. Other factors count too, but those are not PRIMARY!!

Also, in the computer industry, the US is where new things are developed. And I wanted to be part of that.
So, there are lots of reasons why people come to the US.

My BS Alarm went off: **BEEP BEEP BEEP**

If one has decided to go back to India, the problems one face in settling and later on are at best minor inconvienience and as such are never the sole reason to not go back. If u plan to take a regular job ( say software) and have a house or a decent flat in the city, it is very manageable. Banking, though not the best, there are many private banks and my sister living in India hardly visits the bank and does most work at the ATM's.
Electricity payment is a bit laborious but on the other side, u could pay someone to take care of paying ur bills. If one crosses the one time problems of settling down, rest is fairly easy.
However the problems i see are for children born in US (and lived in US) to adjust over there. FIrst is the pollution and low level of immuninity that the children have. I hope that would work out.
However if one plans to do business in India , that can be daunting task but at the same time, there may be oppurtunities also.
My 2 cents...

Re: Re: Re: Re: An interesting discussion

The discussion was about the reasons why people are coming here and why they like or or don't like it.
WRONG!

To jog your memory, JoeF, here's a quote from the original message:

Originally posted by priyagc

After getting GC, is anybody planning to go back to India.

I really want to know how life is in India after living here for 5-6 yrs.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: An interesting discussion

Originally posted by vibro

WRONG!

To jog your memory, JoeF, here's a quote from the original message:

Or we could "extrapolate" the subject of discussion from the title of this thread: "Going back to India ." :D

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: An interesting discussion

And if you actually had read the thread, you would have noticed that the discussion went way beyond that.

No thanks to you for that!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: An interesting discussion

And if you actually had read the thread, you would have noticed that the discussion went way beyond that.

The original subject of this thread was to discuss returning to India. The reason for the discussion going way beyond the original subject was as a direct result of your VERY FIRST contribution to this thread:

Let me first state that I'm from Western Europe, but I had to put my 2 cents here.

You obviously did not have the knowledge to add to the original purpose of the discussion, so YOU decided to turn it into your own soapbox.

Well, JoeF, it's time to get off your soapbox.

I agree. After reading the last message, i went back and re-read the whole thread again.
JoeF changed the direction of this thread. It went from conditions about india/us to morals and name calling. I think we should just delete this thread all together.
Freedom of speech is a fine thing, but saying things relevant to the discussion is a sign of maturity.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: An interesting discussion

And if this thread had indeed been just about returning to India, I would not have bothered to enter the thread.
The thread WAS just about returning to India until YOU joined in and changed its direction.

You would be well-advised to tone down your incredibly patronizing attitude, JoeF.

Vibro,

I think you are fighting a losing battle. This guy, JoeF, loves imposing his asinine ***opinions*** on the readers of this newsgroup.

Time and again, he has reprimanded new users to the site for posting silly questions, and as you mentioned in your previous message, even his semi-useful responses are dripping with sarcasm and are highly patronizing.

The fact of the matter is, you will be hard-pressed to find a single discussion thread on this discussion group where he hasn't subjugated us to his "freedom of expression."

I find it humorous that the guy changed the direction of the thread with his posting, and then reprimanded you for not having the courage to "broaden your horizon."

The fact of the matter is, there are plenty of people like him who love to hide behind the anonymity of the internet while trying to control "free speech."

The guy obviously loves being noticed on these forums. My recommendation to you (based on my own interactions with him on this group), is to ignore his postings altogether.

It worked for me!

gb111,

Of course, you are absolutely correct. JoeF's boorish behaviour is very tiresome, and his holier-than-thou attitude shows through in his recent response to you.

However, I believe it is a public service to remind him of this fact every now and then. Not that he pays ANY attention to what should be considered constructive criticism!. I guess we'll just continue in the vain hope that one day he'll get the message.

vibro.

JoeF

Ive noticed that you put in '2 cents' in every damn conversation!!
:rolleyes:

Man, you must have donated $1,000,000 in these forums already
:D :D :D

My only concern is that some poor sap may take your pearls of wisdom too seriously!! Someone may have come to these forums desperately looking for guidance and may have acted upon your '2 cent' advise!!

Okay, before you start attempting to come up with some desperate, condescending, oversmart retort, I would like to suggest that you should start a new thread:

'Western European Indian Immigrants facing an Identity Crisis in the US'

I'll definitely contribute my 2 cents to THAT discussion!!!!!!! (note the deliberate use of expletives)

JoeF are you illiterate, deaf or blind ????

I had told you in the very beginning of this discussion that since you are from Western Europe you should move out of this discussion. But you are one hard dirty stinking ass to talk to. You may be entitled to your opinion but nobody wants it on this thread. Nobody wants to read your opinions either. So, why don't you just move your ass outta here. Since your life is pretty well settled and you have no time for such squabbles you have at least one reason to get out of this thread. What you like is exactly what everybody seems to dislike. So instead of trying to prove time and again that you are some kind of Mr. Right you can gracefully leave this forum or at least this thread and take your BS elsewhere or start your own thread. OK. Goodluck. I really hope not to hear from you again.

Re: Re: JoeF

Only in conversation where I feel I can make a contribution.
Your contributions, when they include factual advice, are generally very useful. However, when they contain your opinions, they just become noise and interference.

This thread is a very good example of that. You decided to impose your opinions on everyone, and completely failed to contribute to the original subject of the thread. Instead, you threw the discussion off on a tangent, and continually avoid this fact. Your failure to acknowledge your errors is also a good indicator of your general character.

Being outspoken is one thing, but when you provide nothing but simple interference, that's a completely different matter.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, you should recognize that fact that there are times when your contributions may actually provide no value whatsoever to the readers. When this occurs, it is best to say nothing at all. The sooner you understand this, JoeF, the better it wil be for everyone.

You may have noticed that I rarely start threads
Thank heavens for small mercies.

Re: Re: Re: Re: JoeF

Well, I'm sorry if you feel that way, but you are not the one who makes that determination.

Am I so powerful that I can throw a discussion off on a tangent? Thanks for the compliment.
Why didn't you and the other guys who critize me threw the discussion the other way?
Instead, you just jump in when somebody else tries to pick a fight with me. It simply doesn't work.
Let me tell you the secret to get me to shut up: participate in a constructive way in these discussions. I have not seen any constructive participation from the people who critize me here. All I see is some ad hominem attacks, and as a Usenet veteran I am quite immune to that.

Once there was a rat in my house and all of us spent our entire afternoon trying to kill that rat. BUT THAT DOESNT MAKE THE RAT POWERFUL!!

Btw, Its fun watching others whoop your ugly ass!!
:D :D

But I think, you are secretly enjoying being gangbanged by vibro, woreq123, gb11, ma21, myself and others!! :p

Pervert!! get out of this message board!!!!