Ginnu, others, help - might get laid off in a month

Priya_23

Registered Users (C)
I-485 pending since feb '03. Applied for EAD renewal third time(EAD expires nov'05), employer also applied for 7th year H1 extension.
There is a possibility that I might get laid off within a month. I had the following questions.

1. If I do get laid off, what is my status until I find another job and use
the protability option or do I go out of status right away?
2. Given that my H1 expires in jan'06 and the 7th year extension application is pending, is H1 transfer at all a possibility?

I just found out about the layoff possibility, I would prefer not to change companies if i dont affected but i presume that I dont have the luxury to sit around and wait to see what happens in a month? Suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated.
Also, a side question - I e-filed my EAD renewal application. LUD changed to "your receipt has been mailed to you" its been 2 weeks but I did not receive a receipt. Do e-filers get a paper receipt? Note: my I-485 is pending a local district office.

thanks much.

Priya_23 said:
I-485 pending since feb '03. Applied for EAD renewal third time(EAD expires nov'05), employer also applied for 7th year H1 extension.
There is a possibility that I might get laid off within a month. I had the following questions.

1. If I do get laid off, what is my status until I find another job and use
the protability option or do I go out of status right away?
------------- you have AOS pending you cant be out of status, you can join new employer with H1 trasfer
2. Given that my H1 expires in jan'06 and the 7th year extension application is pending, is H1 transfer at all a possibility?
------yes talk to your lawyer
I just found out about the layoff possibility, I would prefer not to change companies if i dont affected but i presume that I dont have the luxury to sit around and wait to see what happens in a month? Suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated.
Also, a side question - I e-filed my EAD renewal application. LUD changed to "your receipt has been mailed to you" its been 2 weeks but I did not receive a receipt. Do e-filers get a paper receipt?
------------ I am not expert on efiling, others may guide you
Note: my I-485 is pending a local district office.
---------- in this situation I have seen that EAD or AP application may be transfred to local office
thanks much.

Ginnu,
I can’t file 485 but I’m looking for more options since it will take many years.
If I change job/get laid off and my current GC sponsor revokes my 140 before I file 485 through new employer with another 140, can I still use my current PD when I file 485 with next employer?

If your answer is yes, you can ignore the following question; if your answer is no----
When I file 485 with new employer, my 1st employer has not revoked my 140 yet, then I use my earlier PD to file 485, suppose my first GC sponsor revokes my 140 before my 485 is touched, do I still have the first PD?

TIA.

jnpr said:
Ginnu,
I can’t file 485 but I’m looking for more options since it will take many years.
If I change job/get laid off and my current GC sponsor revokes my 140 before I file 485 through new employer with another 140, can I still use my current PD when I file 485 with next employer?

If your answer is yes, you can ignore the following question; if your answer is no----
When I file 485 with new employer, my 1st employer has not revoked my 140 yet, then I use my earlier PD to file 485,
------------yes, the lawyer need to write in bold letter on cover letter and you need to attach copy of past I-140 approval notice
suppose my first GC sponsor revokes my 140 before my 485 is touched, do I still have the first PD?
------------ yes, it need to be valid when I-485 is filed. if I-140 was approved before you left tim then you can use early PD. contact your lawyer
TIA.

Thanks for your answer! I want to make clear for this:

1. 140 approved, then leave the company because no 485 possible.
2. 140 is revoked by employer after I leave.
3. After 3 years, when I file 485 through new employer, can I use earlier PD?

Thank you for your response.