Getting married no B2

fish4all

Registered Users (C)
Getting married on B2

Here is the scenario. Someone plssss help me.
I will be going to US on B2 (appearing for intvw nxt week in Dubai and hopefully I will get atleast 3 months visa) and would be marrying my fiance' in US who is on H1B. Also, I've bin to US earlier on B2, F1, H1b in past 6 years and never violated any rules/overstay during the duration I stayed.

1) Will it be a problem for my change of status from B2 TO H4 in US becoz I married on B2?
2) Does 30-60 days rule apply to me? In that case SHOULD I apply for change of status after 60 days?
3)Should I get married in US then come back to Dubai and get H4 visa stamped here?

Someone please suggest the best and safe thing to do keeping in mind marriage can be done only in US.

Last edited by a moderator:
fish4all said:
Here is the scenario. Someone plssss help me.
I will be going to US on B2 (appearing for intvw nxt week in Dubai and hopefully I will get atleast 3 months visa) and would be marrying my fiance' in US who is on H1B. Also, I've bin to US earlier on B2, F1, H1b in past 6 years and never violated any rules/overstay during the duration I stayed.

1) Will it be a problem for my change of status from B2 TO H4 in US becoz I married on B2?
2) Does 30-60 days rule apply to me? In that case SHOULD I apply for change of status after 60 days?
3)Should I get married in US then come back to Dubai and get H4 visa stamped here?

Someone please suggest the best and safe thing to do keeping in mind marriage can be done only in US.
You have a track record of previous visits to the USA and this would help with the visa itself. However if your true intent is known then you will be most likely be denied. You are required to disclose your true intent ie going to get married. The unofficial 90 days rule is used by immigration attorneys as a defence (for spontneous/unplanned events) when thier clients are accused of hiding their true intention to remain or change their status when they were initially admitted to the USA.You can claim this if you are allowed to remain for at least 3-6months.
If your fiance was a citizen it would have been a different problem, but trying to change to H4 from B2 in the USA may create some anxious moments.
I would prefer you get married and return to Dubai and have your H4 stamped.This is a good option because if your change of status from B2 to H4 is denied you will have to do voluntary departure and that may impact on your subsequent admission to the USA coupled with the separation stress on the relationship :confused: . This is only an advice use at your own discretion

Getting married on B2

Thank you so much MGC407 for your input!

Suppose, I go on B2 (not telling the true intent of marriage for visa) and get married within 30 days. And, then come back to Dubai after 3/6mths (depending what I'm allowed), next go for h4 stamping in Dubai. I was just wondering that aren't there chances that US consulate in Dubai rejects my h4 case (even if its after 3/6mths). Because I violated by marrying on B2. That clearly says my true intention wasn't disclosed at the time of getting visa.
Will this raise questions? Any other suggestions?
Your help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
It'll raise big question. It is very unlikely people gets married in 30days after they meet and visa officer will consider you had intent to marry. And when you apply for B2, you have to answer the question if you have fiancee in the US in DS-156. Lying in visa application will invite serious problem.
YOu have an option to marry out of the US and get H4. Why do you want to take a risk ?

fish4all said:
Thank you so much MGC407 for your input!

Suppose, I go on B2 (not telling the true intent of marriage for visa) and get married within 30 days. And, then come back to Dubai after 3/6mths (depending what I'm allowed), next go for h4 stamping in Dubai. I was just wondering that aren't there chances that US consulate in Dubai rejects my h4 case (even if its after 3/6mths). Because I violated by marrying on B2. That clearly says my true intention wasn't disclosed at the time of getting visa.
Will this raise questions? Any other suggestions?
Your help is appreciated.
You can get married on B2 and return within the validity of your I-94.As long as you return, filing for H4 should not pose a problem.You have lived in the USA before and have probably maintained this relationship for a while, so if he popped the question and you agreed to marry him during this visit,you wont be crucified.Your fiance/husband ability to provide relevant documentation for the H4 Visa application will determine to a very large extent whether you are issued one or not.The fact that you have never overstayed or committed any violation puts you in a good position.The consular officer would want to verify the lenght of the relationship and confirm it is not "arranged". your fiance has to justify his ability to maintain you on H4.