• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Getting married before or after DV interview

First. YOU ARE NOT LATE!!!! DV2014 hasn't even started yet (it starts processing from 1st Oct). Don't worry about being late. There is a chance that visa will be exhausted but that cannot happen for MONTHS yet! Not another word about that! :rolleyes:

The numbers you are quoting are probably the entry numbers that you put in to the system to see if you were selected or not. If you were selected you see a letter and on that letter is a number in the format I have described. That is your case number and the cases are processed in case number order.

Thanks for pointing that out! It is like every day I find at least mistakes on my form. Good thing we haven't sent it yet.
So yes, that was the login number. My case number is 2014EU00013XXX so I guess because of 1 it is early, isn't it?

Just wanted to say thanks so much everyone for help in this long and confusing process.

Thanks for making our life a bit more peaceful. I have been worried with myself about starting process so late. So we r not late, that is great news.

Thanks for pointing that out! It is like every day I find at least mistakes on my form. Good thing we haven't sent it yet.
So yes, that was the login number. My case number is 2014EU00013XXX so I guess because of 1 it is early, isn't it?

Just wanted to say thanks so much everyone for help in this long and confusing process.

OK that is more like the number I expected to see. You are in the 13000 range. That is a GREAT number - so congratulations. We can't predict exactly which month you will be in but I expect it to be in February or March (for your interview). KCC will schedule your interview around 6 weeks before your appointment so the won't really even touch your form until December or January. If I were you I would send it no later than the end of October - so you have time to marry, and submit the forms. You must also get all your new documents in place, such as new ID if you change your name as part of the marriage.

If you have to delay sending your forms you could also delay, because visa will not be exhausted so fast, but obviously you will want to do it as early as you can after the marriage.

With that CN, there's no need to rush and send in your forms to KCC. Go ahead and get married, then send in your forms for both of you after that. Do remember to include a copy of your marriage certificate when you send in your forms, this is very important, it's the evidence of your changed status since applying and your subsequent selection as single.

With that CN, there's no need to rush and send in your forms to KCC. Go ahead and get married, then send in your forms for both of you after that. Do remember to include a copy of your marriage certificate when you send in your forms, this is very important, it's the evidence of your changed status since applying and your subsequent selection as single.

Excellent point!

Very well guys! You've said it all. There is no point in rushing to send the forms. My CN for instance would be current in October (hopefully), but I have not sent my forms yet because I want to time the relocation well to sometime Sumner 2014.
Just take your time and do the right thing once and for all to avoid any complications.

Very well guys! You've said it all. There is no point in rushing to send the forms. My CN for instance would be current in October (hopefully), but I have not sent my forms yet because I want to time the relocation well to sometime Sumner 2014.
Just take your time and do the right thing once and for all to avoid any complications.

Roselyn, I think your waitng will rather do you harm than good. cos KCC informs you about six weeks to your interview date, Your CN is 50xx is low and when your forms get there it takes them about a week or so to work on it. just check the number of weeks to October.

Roselyn, I think your waitng will rather do you harm than good. cos KCC informs you about six weeks to your interview date, Your CN is 50xx is low and when your forms get there it takes them about a week or so to work on it. just check the number of weeks to October.

I don't understand this post... First it usually takes KCC about a month to process forms (up to 2 months at busy periods) but in any case they don't schedule interviews until they have the forms. So if she sends her forms in and they get there later than when her case number is current, all that happens is that they process the forms when they get them and assign her an interview date after that. She won't lose out on her interview chance if that is what you are trying to say. And as long as she doesn't leave it too close to the end of the FY (where any delay coukd jeopardize chances of being issued the visa before end of FY or possibility of running out of numbers) I don't see a problem with this. We actually did something similar to delay our visa issuances as an earlier entry date would have caused some logistical problems, and it worked out absolutely fine.

You are right SusieQQQ. I have too many things to take care of before I can relocate. My family is quite big so there is no point in rushing when I know I can take my time. I have helped a few people in the past to go through the process and very confident about what I am doing.

My bad! And sorry if I have misinformed anyone. Roselyna and SusieQQQ I was relating interview strictly to the month CNs become current. Thanks for the correction anyway.

That's OK. It is the more reason why we are all on the forum. To be informed, guided, and educated on the subject.

Quick question. You still have to be aware of the deadline , last day of September for sending in the forms or I have misinterpreted that too? Thanks

Quick question. You still have to be aware of the deadline , last day of September for sending in the forms or I have misinterpreted that too? Thanks

There's no deadline for sending in forms, other than doing it in time that you don't miss out on a DV by going past fiscal year end (ie so KCC have enough time to process and grant you an interview before Sept 2014). If you are talking about end-Sept this year, no that's not a deadline.

Yes, for some reason I thought you must send in the forms till September 2013.So would you say if we want to go only next summer as (I have to do my last year in university) shall we send our forms in later?

Yes, for some reason I thought you must send in the forms till September 2013.So would you say if we want to go only next summer as (I have to do my last year in university) shall we send our forms in later?

You could wait a while, but not too long because the visas could be exhausted before the end of next year. Don't forget you have some time after your interview before you need to enter the States. So you don't have to cause the delay much at all to still be ok to enter the USA next summer. I'm not sure what the maximum time you can leave it - perhaps someone can jump in here. From memory I think it is either 6 months or 12 months - can anyone confirm?

Your number should be current in a month or two, so right now, nothing would be happening anyway. I would personally prefer to submit the forms fairly early and then delay the entry - so that 6 or 12 month clarification is probably important to you. You certainly would NOT want to delay submitting the forms until next summer - that would be too risky.

Usually, the visa is valid for 6 months except in situations where one did the medical exam early and it's about to expire, in which case the visa expiration date will be tied to the medical examination and could be less than 6 months.

One other avenue annanna could explore outside of sending in the forms late is to process as normal, come into the US to activate the GC towards the end of the expiration date of the visa, then go back to his/her home country upto a year, if need be, to finish schooling. But if more time is needed to complete the studies, then apply for a re-entry permit when you come in to activate the GC. A re-entry permit allows you to stay outside for upto 2 years without getting into trouble.

Usually, the visa is valid for 6 months except in situations where one did the medical exam early and it's about to expire, in which case the visa expiration date will be tied to the medical examination and could be less than 6 months.

One other avenue annanna could explore outside of sending in the forms late is to process as normal, come into the US to activate the GC towards the end of the expiration date of the visa, then go back to his/her home country upto a year, if need be, to finish schooling. But if more time is needed to complete the studies, then apply for a re-entry permit when you come in to activate the GC. A re-entry permit allows you to stay outside for upto 2 years without getting into trouble.

Ahhh so that is why I had 6 and 12 months in my head. I was pretty sure you ladies were the source of that - so thanks both for jumping in.

Just as a matter of interest, I saw a UK/US tax accountant today and one of the things that came up was the point at which the US tax resident status would kick in. Normally entering into the US under the GC for the first time is the point that you become a US taxpayer (which is a total pain in the arse in terms of complexity!). However, in the scenario you describe if the initial trip to activate the GC is less than a time (which he said was 10 days but wan't certain) then that tax status could be deferred until the later entry date. That might be interesting to some....

Ahhh so that is why I had 6 and 12 months in my head. I was pretty sure you ladies were the source of that - so thanks both for jumping in.

Just as a matter of interest, I saw a UK/US tax accountant today and one of the things that came up was the point at which the US tax resident status would kick in. Normally entering into the US under the GC for the first time is the point that you become a US taxpayer (which is a total pain in the arse in terms of complexity!). However, in the scenario you describe if the initial trip to activate the GC is less than a time (which he said was 10 days but wan't certain) then that tax status could be deferred until the later entry date. That might be interesting to some....

That latter is extremely interesting to me, as I will only be in the US for 5 days of the tax year in which I enter - although the total time is more than 10 days so not sure if it would apply. It's interesting too as the IRS website seems clear that even if you are in for one day you need to file. It would be so much easier if I could apply the dual status to the following year....

That latter is extremely interesting to me, as I will only be in the US for 5 days of the tax year in which I enter - although the total time is more than 10 days so not sure if it would apply. It's interesting too as the IRS website seems clear that even if you are in for one day you need to file. It would be so much easier if I could apply the dual status to the following year....

He was very definite that the option existed, the only bit that was unclear was the time. Bloody man charges me by the minute (well it feels like that) but I could email him for clarification on that point hopefully without incurring charges - do you want me to do that so at least you know what that "option" is called or do you want to look into it yourself?