Getting Married After Immigrant Visa Approval

Future-pardesi

Folks,

I received my Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration (Classification F11) based on my dad's sponsorship, who is a US citizen. At the time when I went for interview and received the visa I was not engaged or married although my family was in the process of finding a suitable match for me. My visa identifies my marital status as 'single'. Before coming to US, I want to get married.

My question is "Can I get married before coming to US and will my visa still be valid as it says I am single" and "can I apply to sponsor my wife once I come to US".

Please help me with this dilemma.

Thanks.

unfortunately your wife won't be able to reside with you in the US if you get married now. You will have to wait for 5 years to become a citizen, then you will be able to petition for her .

got the same problem... can I my boy friend, then my mom or his dad "his dad is here for 22 years" will sponsors him?

Future-pardesi said:
My question is "Can I get married before coming to US and will my visa still be valid as it says I am single" and "can I apply to sponsor my wife once I come to US".

In nine years I have yet to see such a scenario, until now. If the marriage occurs after one becomes a Permanent Resident it is clear; the spouse is an FB2A case and waits seven years for a priority date.

This is strange; what happens if the marriage occurs between when the immigrant visa is granted and the alien arrives in the United States as a Permanent Resident? I'd suggest you delay your initial arrival to the US and consult an attorney, and then get a second opinion. If they don't agree, get a third opinion.

Your case is unusual enough to be beyond the expertise of an internet discussion board.

TheRealCanadian said:
In nine years I have yet to see such a scenario, until now. If the marriage occurs after one becomes a Permanent Resident it is clear; the spouse is an FB2A case and waits seven years for a priority date.

This is strange; what happens if the marriage occurs between when the immigrant visa is granted and the alien arrives in the United States as a Permanent Resident? I'd suggest you delay your initial arrival to the US and consult an attorney, and then get a second opinion. If they don't agree, get a third opinion.

Your case is unusual enough to be beyond the expertise of an internet discussion board.

The OP raises an interesting question. There is some case law on point, but as you pointed out, it is beyond the scope of a NG. A legal memo from an experienced immigration attorney may be a good idea.