get ead card but still unable to work now

NITEOLE718

Registered Users (C)
i got my ead card on jan 22 2006 went to social security today jan 24 to apply for my card but the lady told me i have to wait 6-8 weeks until uscis verification is approve they are so dumb whats up with that verification the ead card is real . anyone with the same problem get there ss card before the time that was given please post timeframe

Well, they usually tell 6-8 weeks, but som people get it in about 2 weeks. So le's hope for the best

yes they have to verify that document first. Its actually funny because they should be able to coordinate faster with the technology now... but i dnt know why its taking them so long....

i got my EAD november 17.
applied tor SSN nov 20, 2006
got my SSN january 19, 2007....

well, dont worry they tell it takes 6 - 8 weeks but i got my SSN in less than 3 weeks , they just want to make sure that the document that you provided is not fake ,

GOOD LUCK

Yeah, that is absolutely ridiculous, I think that's one of their new stupid regulations to verify documents before issuing a SSN, it wasn't like that a couple of years ago. I have the same issue, I applied for a repalcement SSN can with my new name , they told me to wait up to 4 weeks, I took there my passport with temporary permanent resedency stamp.Now we have to deal with bureaucracy again.

NITEOLE718 said:
thanks to everyone who share there idea hope i get it in less than 6-8 weeks i will let you all now

Im currently in the same situation you are in. I applied for SSN a week after I got my card(It was a few days before the interview), and they told me they needed about 30 days in order for USCIS to send them the updates, then i went 2 weeks later, (a week after my interview & a month after the issue date on the card)this time they told me that they needed to verify the information i gave them. (up to 12 weeks!), by that time my EAD will be 1/3 expired. Plus god knows how long it will take the DMV to also verify my info, I would have to pay renew my EAD & License before I even start to work, what a waste, why do they even issue the cards if no other government agency can verify it on the spot.

I spoke to an Immigration lawyer and she said that this is do to the overwhelming number of illegal immigrants that have the nerve to defy the US government by applying for SS with a false document they bought off the streets.
This is putting the lives of innocent people on hold trying to earn a living and who have followed all the steps required by law in order provide for their families, myself included and who cant because of these setbacks. It tough having a baby that seems to be getting older by the day and who needs food, clothing, diapers, etc. Not to mention a roof under her head, and I feel helpless because of this.
I can easily work illegaly but I prefer to do the right thing. Im sure there are plenty here who feel the same way. But thats just he way it has to be, we have to be patient I guess. (As if we havent already been! :rolleyes: )

Last edited by a moderator:
?

You can't start working with EAD until you get the a SS card for employment?

I have one that I got when I was on F1. I never updated when I got my work visa.

NITEOLE718 said:
i did apply but the lady told me i have to wait 6-8 weeks for approval from USCIS before i get my number

I was told 12 weeks so you can imagine. I doubt It will take that long tho', I was told by the lawyer that it should be verified in 4 weeks or less, I live in NYC.

jasmine7103 said:
You can't start working with EAD until you get the a SS card for employment? I have one that I got when I was on F1. I never updated when I got my work visa.

There's no legal prohibition to working before an SSN is issued.

TheRealCanadian said:
There's no legal prohibition to working before an SSN is issued.

yes i agree, you can actually work even without your SSN but you know what employers doesnt know this most of the time... maybe they need some orientation :)

Get a job without a ss card

NITEOLE718 said:
i live in nyc too

Nit,

Did you apply for the Social security card? I hope you did, because they people at Social Security will tell you 6-8 weeks, but it is possible that your social security card could be send to you in 10 days. At times, it takes longer, but it is better to apply and wait to get your card, rather than wait to complete the entire immigration process. :rolleyes:

Since you live in NYC, it is a magnet for illegal immigrants :p and for people who work there without social security, and someone should be able to hire you without the need to show a social security card, because you have an employment card. Look at other positions, and see if you can't be hired without the social security card. :eek: Moreover, when you go for interview or are offered a job, take the copy of the application form and a stamped receipt from ss administration, show the prospective employer that you are waiting for your ss card. Alternatively, apply for a ITIN. :cool:

the job that i need for sure they need social security because they have to do a background check . i apply for ss already but they said i have to wait 6-8 weeks i hope i get it b4 that because i need to work now

I applied for a new SS card the same day I got my green card, and I was told it's gonna take a long time, because USCIS haven't updated my status in the system. But it didn't matter to me, since I don't really need the actual SS card - when you have a green card or an EAD, you don't have to show the SS card to the employer, all you need to do is just tell them the number. However, for those who don't have a SS number already, it's a very long wait. You really would think that they update their online info faster :eek:

I Apply For Ss Card But I Only Get A Receipt To Show That I Apply.no Number Is On The Receipt To Get A Job When You Apply For A Job They Need Ss Card To Take Tax.

i live in nyc. i applied for a social security card on december 12,2006 , as soon as i had received my ead and i was told too 3weeks to verify the info to uscis then 6-12weeks to receive the card or more by the lady at IRS. But on January 9, 2007 i received a mail from Social Security stating that i should get my card in about 2 weeks. I received the actual card on january 18,2007 :D :p now monday or tuesday i will go to the dmv but i think this takes longer a month i was told but at least with your social you can work. i can wait for the state id. :rolleyes: