georgia

rustik

Registered Users (C)
I need to go to Georgia. I have RTD and GC. Georgian Embassy said you don't need visa if you have GC and refused to stamp one. Anybody has any experience? I meen will the airlines let me to the board here?

I need to go to Georgia. I have RTD and GC. Georgian Embassy said you don't need visa if you have GC and refused to stamp one. Anybody has any experience? I meen will the airlines let me to the board here?

If you have your GC the airline in the U.S. will let you board (and the US will let you back in with the green card only). When you fly away from the United States, you do not physically see a DHS officer. The airline just enter your alien# from your card onto its computer and your departure gets reported electronically to the DHS.

I am more worried about Georgia letting you in without a visa. Can you get a letter from their embassy or a print out from their website stating the policy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your reply.

I will contact embassy once again on Monday to see if they can give me print out.

Georgia has simplified visa relations with USA. US citizens and green card holders don't need visa to visit Georgia.

Georgia has simplified visa relations with USA. US citizens and green card holders don't need visa to visit Georgia.

I have read about the citizens everywhere. But not a single world about greencard holders. Please, tell where did you get it from?

I have read about the citizens everywhere. But not a single world about greencard holders. Please, tell where did you get it from?

I got it from Georgia's consul himself in Washington. He told me the same rules apply to green card holders as to the US citizens - you don't need visa for up to 3 months stay.

I got it from Georgia's consul himself in Washington. He told me the same rules apply to green card holders as to the US citizens - you don't need visa for up to 3 months stay.

Yes, they said it to me too... But refused to give a print out or some other proof...

OK, checked with my friend in the Georgian consulate again and he sent me Georgian legislation in MS Word, in Georgian language, of course. I don't know how much Georgian you speak, so I'm translating:

Law on the Legal Status of Foreigners in Georgia
Chapter II, Article 3 (Principles), Provision L

"Persons having permanent residence of a foreign state, who do not hold citizenship of that state, are subject to the same legal provisions that are provided for the citizens of such state".

And because the US citizens don't need a visa to visit Georgia, the permanent residents don't need it either. Besides, he told me that the consulate received a memo couple of months ago, which specifically outlines procedures for the Green Card holders and it's exactly what I outlined above. All you need is your Green Card and travel document.

Hope this helps. Have a nice trip.

Ginger_anna,

Do you know why your green card application is still not processed? You applied before 2005, right?

Rustic,

Does the embassy have an email address? I would send them an email asking about their policy on green card holders. I would then carry a print out of their response with me when I entered Georgia.

"Persons having permanent residence of a foreign state, who do not hold citizenship of that state, are subject to the same legal provisions that are provided for the citizens of such state".

Wish more countries extended this courtesy to LPRs.:)