GC thro Labor substitution - Employer could not offer a job

ramasams

I was employed in a firm (say ABC) through H1B visa. I applied GC through another firm (XYZ) using Labor Substitution where I paid all the fees. Since I got the GC, I had to quit my H1B employer. It has been more than three months and my employer, who processed my GC, is not able to place me anywhere. As a I result, I am living with no job and no pay. Though I am getting lots of offer for full time position and Contractor-W2, could not accept as I have to work for XYZ for a minimum of 6 months, as per the lawyer's recommendation. What do I do now?
Thanks.

Get a letter from your employer that your job is terminated and join in a new permenant job. If the employer terminates your job it is not the same as you quitting and you will have no problems with the green card.

I am facing the same issue here. Though I'd like to trust the answer, would anyone still confirm it, I know there are a lot of experienced people and knowledgeable lawyers in this forum. Thanks a lot!

ramasams said:
Though I am getting lots of offer for full time position and Contractor-W2, could not accept as I have to work for XYZ for a minimum of 6 months, as per the lawyer's recommendation.

If you are not working or being paid, you have no job. Find new work.

Folks:

I have posted my friends' experience in an earlier posting. Any how,
I could mention here one more time.

The Company where I was working before, merged with another Company and we were all laid off. Two of my friends who applied for GC got their
approvals just before they could be laid off. They were barely working for
3 months in the company before getting out completely. They also had
similar apprehension on leaving the Company/situation.

What they did was, they got the press release of the merger, a letter from
HR stating that they were getting laid off on such date, and their pay slips
for the entire year.

They had kept the records for five years and last year around this time
one of the guys got his citizenship with no problems. The other guy
also got his citizenship this year. Both of them showed the paperwork
to the Officer when they went to interview.

Hope this helps.

Make sure that you cross all the t's and dot all the i's before hopping on
to another job.

Good luck
howdy_howdy
//

Thanks to all replies. My situation is a little different though: I never worked for the sponsor employer before the GC, nor after the GC approveddue to no position. Any comment?

I don't think I have heard a situation like the one you are currently in.

The only problem you MAY face is during N400 process. That too if you
apply for Citizenship right after 5 years of obtaining your GC. As someone here
at the Forum suggested, postpone your C'ship process for five years until
you get a job and you get paid in the job.

I am not sure about other problems you may be facing. Consult a good Immigration attorney on your situation. And post your experience on this Forum & be the torch bearer for those folks who are in your situation.

Good luck
howdy_howdy
//