GC taken away by border police! What to do?

Bad things happened to people all the time , ie. people getting deported
( http://www.usdoj.gov/eoir/efoia/foiafreq.htm ) , contracting HIV , torture (this hits home for the prosecuted ones) , dying or being killed by your own government ( Most Executions carried out in 2006

1. China (at least 1,010 but sources suggest the real tally is between 7,500 and 8,000)[10]
2. Iran (177)
3. Pakistan (82)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_penalty
China uses lethal injection and shooting)
and to be positive winning the lottery
Keep an open minded
Chinese government can do whatever the hell they want with you and theres nothing you can do about it (unless you have connections)
Can the "police border" take away your Green Card ? The answer is a big YES
My heart goes out to your cousin and whoever is being prosecuted in the world in this very moment , day , week , month or year.

So actually I'm include in the lucky one got granted asylum, from 800 application just 40 something got approved. I don't think I want to risk that by going back to cop. I don't like that place anyway....my cop sucks
don't care about human being.

Where are the advocates for former asylees with Greencards? Please help in this situation.

If one reads the official position of the US embassies around the world, it is very clear. It says that they can not help with legal issues for US citizens, let alone greencard holders.

As far as this situation is concerned, I think the Chinese government has a legitimate claim. If you claim asylum in another country, that is permenant claim. You can't have both ways. You can not enjoy the protection and benefits of two states.....

My suggestion is that the guy find a way to get out of the country maybe through the border........and ask some sort of travel papers from US embassy. working through lawyers may take decades.....

Where are the advocates for former asylees with Greencards? Please help in this situation.

If one reads the official position of the US embassies around the world, it is very clear. It says that they can not help with legal issues for US citizens, let alone greencard holders.

As far as this situation is concerned, I think the Chinese government has a legitimate claim. If you claim asylum in another country, that is permenant claim. You can't have both ways. You can not enjoy the protection and benefits of two states.....

My suggestion is that the guy find a way to get out of the country maybe through the border........and ask some sort of travel papers from US embassy. working through lawyers may take decades.....

THe U.S government will say hey you seeked protection we didnt force you.

I dont feel pity for these people. If I knew that my COP hates asylees, i would not go there or risk going there. Only thing he can do is talk to U.S Embassy but the fact that he is an ex-asylee, the U.S Embassy may question if fraud was there when he obtained that status..so he is stuck both ways.

I have no clue how it will be resolved. HOwever to be honest, this story sounds too weird to be true.

hello guys
i was reading this story and to me is just bull...come on.?..in the history of all the immigration's forums at Internet you gonna find all these terrorist trying to make horror movies to scare people...yes I'm in agree that you need to be careful like permanent resident thanks of asylum./...and don't abuse of your status..if you need to go to your cop///just have a really justify reason...and don't go for vacations.and get all the papers that you need to prove why did you go./.....but I'm tired to see people at Internet trying to scare people with this type of sci FY stories/..please....
my best wishes to everybody

AS7 is NOT the same as AS6

Well, now it's getting interesting. Asylee with A07 category are NOT principle petitioners for asylum, they derive their status from A06 principle asylee based on marriage or family relationship. Make sure your lawyer will be aware of that fact.
So, from my point of view, you could argue that your cousin is not the one who applied for asylum therefore shouldn't have any charges against him. Goodluck.

Well, now it's getting interesting. Asylee with A07 category are NOT principle petitioners for asylum, they derive their status from A06 principle asylee based on marriage or family relationship. Make sure your lawyer will be aware of that fact.
So, from my point of view, you could argue that your cousin is not the one who applied for asylum therefore shouldn't have any charges against him. Goodluck.

very astute point.

Now the question is if his spouse a Chinese national. If it is i am not sure if the Chinese will be impressed.

So, from my point of view, you could argue that your cousin is not the one who applied for asylum therefore shouldn't have any charges against him.

And another thing, like someone else already mentioned - if you are entering to the country on your NPassport, that mean that you are surrending under the authorities of that country. The country will have jurisdiction over you, therefore they have rights to detain your cousin and take documents away from him.

Also, if you will take a look on the US passport or even any country passport you will find this note:"this document at all times remains the property of the US and shall be returned to the governmant upon demand," now the GC have NO such inscription on it. What GC has is "the person identified by this card is authorized to work and reside in the US." My assumption is that GC holders doesn't have the same protection as US Passport holders.
That is only my brainstorm as you asked. Goodluck.

Asylee with A07 category are NOT principle petitioners for asylum, they derive their status from A06 principle asylee based on marriage or family relationship. Make sure your lawyer will be aware of that fact.
So, from my point of view, you could argue that your cousin is not the one who applied for asylum therefore shouldn't have any charges against him.

And another thing, like someone else already mentioned - if you are entering to the country on your NPassport, that mean that you are surrending under the authorities of that country. The country will have jurisdiction over you, therefore they have rights to detain your cousin and take documents away from him.

Also, if you will take a look on the US passport or even any country passport you will find this note:"this document at all times remains the property of the US and shall be returned to the governmant upon demand," now the GC have NO such inscription on it. What GC has is "the person identified by this card is authorized to work and reside in the US." My assumption is that GC holders doesn't have the same protection as US Passport holders.
That is only my brainstorm as you asked. Goodluck.

I would like to thank those who responded with constructive suggestions (I have no comment for those who authored negative posts; I can spend my time more profitably than making up a story here).

My cousin will go to his scheduled session with the public security people next week. We have retained a local attorney to represent him, on the understanding that what Chinese attorneys can do for their clients is very different than what American attorneys can do. We also contacted our Senators and representative in Congress.. One of them has agreed to approach the senior management of the State Department hoping that the U.S. government would make a representation to the Chinese on our behalf.

The fact of the matter is that people have gone back to China and exited without issues. It seemd that the attitude of the Chinese government was as long as you did not do anything politically overt live and let live. Perhpas the this border guard took his job too seriously.

The passport was renewed at the Chinese Consulate in NYC in 2005 and we showed the consulate the GC. They had no issue with it though it was coded A07.

I honestly do not see why this story is hard to believe. When you are a Chinese national who is using a Chinese passport, the Chinese government has the perfect right to deny you permission to leave. In fact, the chinese rules say very clearly that people who will damage "national interests" cannot leave the country. When you seek asylum you are damaging China's national honor and interest.

The Chinese government even has this rule translated into English for everbody's benefit:

http://www.shanghai.gov.cn/shanghai/node8059/FAQ/node8474/node8479/userobject22ai20719.html

I honestly do not understand why this person would go to China to begin with (using a Chinese passport for good measure). People naturally question the truth of his asylum case. I will never step foot on China until the Communist government is overthrown. Commies killed my parents and left me an orphan.

Hi Greatwall,
Do you have update for this issue?
Is the principal asylee (AS6 GC holder) has record in China? It is not normal they hold the AS7 card holder, the spouse of this person may be too famous in the Chinese government.

I have no further news. We are trying to work this out with the local authorities. Things can take a while over there.

I now strongly suggest people to wait until citizenship before braving China. It is only 4+ years.

Excuse me if I said something wrong, but in fact, if this is a true story, I believe there are a lot of ways to solve it, let me give you one solution even I don't believe this story. You can go to Hong Kong and report to US embassy,file for losting GC, they will issue you some kind of documentation, you can use it board the plane, HK custom don't give shit of what kind of GC you are holding, on the way back to US, don't worry ,they can pull your file from computer, even you don't have you GC in possession, they will still let you pass, and file for another GC later. One of my friend did travel with his GC, and he pass China border control just by showing his expired I-551 stamp, he went to the secondary inspection in the US, but he is fine.

Excuse me if I said something wrong, but in fact, if this is a true story, I believe there are a lot of ways to solve it, let me give you one solution even I don't believe this story. You can go to Hong Kong and report to US embassy,file for losting GC, they will issue you some kind of documentation, you can use it board the plane, HK custom don't give shit of what kind of GC you are holding, on the way back to US, don't worry ,they can pull your file from computer, even you don't have you GC in possession, they will still let you pass, and file for another GC later. One of my friend did travel with his GC, and he pass China border control just by showing his expired I-551 stamp, he went to the secondary inspection in the US, but he is fine.

Someone else already suggested the Hong Kong route and IF the person could make it to HK then it things would be fine. You are right that HK does not care. The problem as I see it is that you cannot exit China. For example, at the Lowu exit point, you have to first go through the Chinese inspection and then hong kong inspection. The person, if the story is true, cannot pass Chinese inspection.

If smuggling gangs still operate in southern China the person should smuggle himself from southern China into Hong Kong. Then go to Hong Kong U.S consulate (I am presuming that he still has some documentation proving his American LPR status).

greatwall:
Any news for this case?

Sorry for the late reply (I was not comfortable posting until this matter was resolved happily). He returned to the U.S. last week via Hong Kong. He made his way from Mainland to HK on his own without documents and then the American Consulate in HK assisted him in getting new travel documents. He never got his original GC back from the Communists.