GC stamp - Canada visit

vmana

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I have GC stamp in my passport. Can I visit Canada with that. I didn't receive welcome letter yet? Do I need the welcome letter.

One more question. I know for sure that we can't visit Canada on Advance Parole. Can some one confirm this.

Thanks in advance.

Travel to Canada

Yes you can travel to Canada with your 551 stamp. What makes you think you can't visit Canada on Advance Parole? I did. I am a Canadian Citizen and I went home using my AP, no problems.

If you have your temporary green card stamp in your passport you don't use AP to travel anymore. The AP is invalid. You travel and work using your stamp until the plastic arrives. As for the welcome letter you don't need it for anything.

Scottfla said:
Yes you can travel to Canada with your 551 stamp. What makes you think you can't visit Canada on Advance Parole? I did. I am a Canadian Citizen and I went home using my AP, no problems.

Actually, you went home using your Canadian passport. ;)

What I think our original poster is asking about is the visa requirement to enter Canada. US Permanent Residents may visit Canada without a visa, but this courtesy is NOT extended to AP holders. Someone from (say) India would be able to travel to Canada once he got his GC, but not when his I-485 was pending. He'd need a visa.

Thanks RealCanadian

Thanks every one. You got it right RealCanadian and thanks for the answer.