GC renewal or naturalization

Rattancode

Registered Users (C)
My GC which was issued in 2001, will expire on 15 March, 2014. I plan to become a US citizen eventually.

Should I submit a GC renewal application immediately or should I submit the naturalization application?

-thanks
-rattancode

Also, I have been living at my current address since 2005 and have never filed an AR-11.
Is this going to complicate my GC renewal or naturalization process.

-thanks in advance
-rattancode

My GC which was issued in 2001, will expire on 15 March, 2014. I plan to become a US citizen eventually.

Should I submit a GC renewal application immediately or should I submit the naturalization application?

-thanks
-rattancode

Your GC is valid for 13 years? That's a weird period. Are you sure?

At this point, since your GC expires in less than 6 months, you're legally required to renew it whether or not you apply for citizenship. So, you might as well, and then worry about naturalization later.

When you moved to your current address, you never sent in an AR11? Send it in now It won't complicate anything.

how much time for GC renewal?

Hi cafeconleche,

1)How long will it take to a GC renewal?
2)If I submit AR-11, can I apply for GC renewal by next week?

-thanks in advance

Your GC is valid for 13 years? That's a weird period. Are you sure?

At this point, since your GC expires in less than 6 months, you're legally required to renew it whether or not you apply for citizenship. So, you might as well, and then worry about naturalization later.

When you moved to your current address, you never sent in an AR11? Send it in now It won't complicate anything.

I don't know how long it takes. Check other threads on the forum, or someone who's been through the renewal process will post here. I'd say 3-6 months. But, once you apply for the renewal, you can ask for a temporary stamp to show permanent residence status in your passport when you go for fingerprinting (or, you have to make an Infopass appointment and take your notice of action if they don't do it at your fingerprinting appointment). You can apply for the renewal and do the AR11 at the same time. The AR11 will be the general address change, and the GC renewal form will have your current address anyway.

You can also apply for naturalisation at the same time, if you really want to.

You could apply now for naturalization and hope that you complete naturalization before the GC expires. Then apply for renewal only if it expires before you become a citizen.

cafeconleche said:
At this point, since your GC expires in less than 6 months, you're legally required to renew it whether or not you apply for citizenship.
But there isn't a legal requirement to renew it before it expires. So Rattancode could delay the renewal and try to naturalize before it expires, thus avoiding renewal if naturalization happens fast enough.

jackolantern, thanks for the encouraging reply.

But here are the facts. I have only a period of 4 months before my GC expires. Can naturalization be done within 4 months, I guess not. So, come 4 months, I anyway have to initiate the GC renewal process. And when I initiate the GC renewal process till my finger printing happens, I wont be able to show to anybody my legal status. Eg to a potential employer or for travel purposes. So what I think is the good path here is to apply for a renewal. It should happen soon. let us say within 3-4 months, and then go for the naturalization.

Btw, has anybody done GC renewal through online process. How would you submit other documents (fees + copy of existing GC) if you apply for I-90 online? What sort of browser would you recommend, Chrome(?)

-rattancode

You could apply now for naturalization and hope that you complete naturalization before the GC expires. Then apply for renewal only if it expires before you become a citizen.

But there isn't a legal requirement to renew it before it expires. So Rattancode could delay the renewal and try to naturalize before it expires, thus avoiding renewal if naturalization happens fast enough.

Depending on where you live, it could take 4 months. But, you're right that you'll have trouble leaving the country and reentering once it's expired and you don't have US citizenship yet. However, for employment purposes you can use your unrestricted SS card and your DL. That should be sufficient. I never showed my GC to an employer.

You have about 4 and half months until your green card expires, so you don't need to be particularly lucky to complete your naturalization before that. Some people complete naturalization as fast as 3 months. You could at least give it a try and see how fast things are progressing with your fingerprinting and interview. If you are interviewed by early February, that gives you a very good chance of completing the oath by mid-March.

If your Social Security card has the employment restriction wording on it, apply for an unrestricted one before your GC expires. That would take care of the employment aspect.

You've been a permanent resident for nearly 13 years. Did you become a permanent resident before you turned 18? Did either of your parents become a US citizen before you turned 18?

If yes to both, you may have already derived citizenship through your parent(s), and if so would not need to apply for naturalization or green card renewal. Instead you'd apply for a US passport and/or N-600.