GC holder visiting Canada by car: passport needed?

gw3

Registered Users (C)
Hi. I am a green card holder and plan to cross US-Canada border by car. Do i need to carry my passport in addition to my green card in order to enter Canada and re-enter US after visiting Canada? I'm asking this question because my passport will be held in another country's consulate for visa application during that time. Thank you for your responses.

Hey there,

You are not required to carry ur passport. But, most people carry it for safety reasons, just in case they are asked to show it.

The US driver's licence is valid in Canada. Make sure you ask ur insurance company to give you the "ID card". It is free of charge and they mail it to you rightaway. In case, u r stopped by a cop, u will need to show them this ID card.

Hope it helps,
Maasikus

Visited Canada last year to get H1-B stamped. I had a friend along with me who happen to be US permanent resident. US and Candian authority never asked my friend to show his Indian passport. They were OK with his GC.

Regarding driver licence, its valid in Canada. As someone already pointed out, get a Insurance card from insurance company before you visit Canada. Also be careful with the speed limit posted in Candian Highway. They all are in KM (not miles).

gw3 said:
Hi. I am a green card holder and plan to cross US-Canada border by car. Do i need to carry my passport in addition to my green card in order to enter Canada and re-enter US after visiting Canada? I'm asking this question because my passport will be held in another country's consulate for visa application during that time. Thank you for your responses.