GC Holder returns to home country

pvlaca

Registered Users (C)
I consulted with my laywer this morning regarding asylum-based GC holder returning to home country, and would like to share with the group her answers to my questions:

1. Is asylum based LPRs (Legal Permanent Resident) different from other LPRs?
Answer: no

2. Is LPR originally based on asylum still an asylee?

3. Can I travel back to my home country once a year for a short trip?
Answer: absolutely

4. Can I renew my passport?
Answer: yes

5. Would I have any problems during citizenship interviews because of traveling back to home countries and renewing passpport?
Answer: no - unless you lie about them.

she said that a GC holder (who was previously an asylee) visiting his/her country for a short period of time is consistent with his/her previous asylum claim - as long as you could prove that you are not on the blacklist maintained by your government. And once you are an LPR, you are no longer an asylee. She foresee no problem during citizenship interview.

She said that she seldom make unequivacal statements. But on this issue, she really see no reason for concern so long one is reasonable (not staying in your home country for a long time) and open about it.

I've seen many posts with lawyers opinions about this matters. I also know a lot of people going back and force to COP without any problems. I don't think USCIS gives to much shit about it. They have no resources and no time to investigate every single asylee/asyleeLPR.

ayyubov said:
I've seen many posts with lawyers opinions about this matters. I also know a lot of people going back and force to COP without any problems. I don't think USCIS gives to much shit about it. They have no resources and no time to investigate every single asylee/asyleeLPR.
By the way ayyubov, did your online status change today? I saw that you had a new LUD today and I was wondering if it still says "status cannot be found" or something else?

Good luck!

PS. I wish I had your LUDs! It looks like your IO is working very hard on your case :)

GC on hand. Must I travel with RTD or may I use old, still valid NP?

I received my GC (AS6 for me and AS7 for my wife).
My old NP is still valid (issued before asylum granted). Do I still have to use a RTD to travel and return to the US or may I just use my NP.
Will there be a problem at port of entering back to the US with this?

Is there any link to any document that addresses this issue?

Thanks

Note: I am not traveling to my COP.

Question: Once one gets a green card, can a person apply refugee travel document instead of renewing your passport?

PS: Keeping in mind that the Greencard holder is a former asylee!

Thanks

Yes. You may apply for a RTD after receiving your GC.
The question is not wheather you may, but weather you MUST.
...Or can you travel on your old, still valid, NP.
Thanks

My National Passport expired over 10 years ago. I have lived in the US for about 15 years now and haven't travelled internationally for a long time.

Thanks!

pvlaca said:
I consulted with my laywer this morning regarding asylum-based GC holder returning to home country, and would like to share with the group her answers to my questions:

1. Is asylum based LPRs (Legal Permanent Resident) different from other LPRs?

2. Is LPR originally based on asylum still an asylee?

3. Can I travel back to my home country once a year for a short trip?
Answer: absolutely

4. Can I renew my passport?
Answer: yes

5. Would I have any problems during citizenship interviews because of traveling back to home countries and renewing passpport?
Answer: no - unless you lie about them.

she said that a GC holder (who was previously an asylee) visiting his/her country for a short period of time is consistent with his/her previous asylum claim - as long as you could prove that you are not on the blacklist maintained by your government. And once you are an LPR, you are no longer an asylee. She foresee no problem during citizenship interview.

She said that she seldom make unequivacal statements. But on this issue, she really see no reason for concern so long one is reasonable (not staying in your home country for a long time) and open about it.

The fact is as PRs asylum-based,we're still eligible for a Refugee Travel Document.Be careful...

RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC receieved Sep 20,2005