GC got stolen

mzoo_127

Registered Users (C)
hi guys,

my friend lost her GC last week in england. she went to the american ambassy there and was told have to pay 165 US dollars to get a piece of document so she can come back to the States. then she has to pay for the fee to get a replacement card after she comes back here. does anybody have similar experience with losing your GC? did you have to pay that 165 to the US ambassy or consulate.

thanks in advance!

Joe: the card was stolen. does it make any difference if it was stolen or lost?

Samn400: that really sucks that you can't get a greencard while you r waiting for the citizenship thing go through. so meanwhile u can't travel to anywhere then?

Well you lost your card and needed something from the US government to enable you to return. I would think paying $160 is pretty fair.

well, since the person whoever lost thier GC have to pay the replacement cost anyways, I would think the U.S. ambassy would be kind enough just to charge the person around 20-30 bucks to get the piece of paper to come back to the States.
and something out of topic, there are millions of people trying to go to the U.S. embassy or consulate everyday around the world trying to get a visa to come here. A U.S. visa cost more than 100 dollars or something like that. most of these ppl who apply for the visa get rejected. wonder how the U.S. consulate make the $$$?
:mad: :mad: :mad:

mzoo_127 said:
well, since the person whoever lost thier GC have to pay the replacement cost anyways, I would think the U.S. ambassy would be kind enough just to charge the person around 20-30 bucks to get the piece of paper to come back to the States.
and something out of topic, there are millions of people trying to go to the U.S. embassy or consulate everyday around the world trying to get a visa to come here. A U.S. visa cost more than 100 dollars or something like that. most of these ppl who apply for the visa get rejected. wonder how the U.S. consulate make the $$$?

what can you buy with $20.00 these days??? :confused:

They have to first verify you really are who you claim to be and then have to produce a document for you that is reasonably resistant to being faked. Foreign Office officers will have to spend time to help you sort out the mess. You certainly have to pay their salaries. After all your are without your green card because of your own fault (failure to exercise due care). And plus when you can afford to go abroad you can certainly pay the service fee.

I know things happen and you did not create this situation on purpose. Heck this can happen to me upon my next trip abroad. But paying the embassy for the cost of helping you is entirely fair and reasonable. In fact I think they should charge more.

There is no basis to complain.

Last edited by a moderator:
mzoo_127 said:

Though it is unfortunate and sad to lose/got stolen your docs. ,your grouse against US embassy is charging considerable amount(negative side) is quite undrstandable--Some one need to be happy that atleast there is a 'provision' to get some 'doc' to return to US at first instance.(positive side)
Just imagine if there is no provision of that sort first to return US and if you only had to apply from a foriegn land to get in only after obtaining!!!
It's a nightmare.

Participant said:
Though it is unfortunate and sad to lose/got stolen your docs. ,your grouse against US embassy is charging considerable amount(negative side) is quite undrstandable--Some one need to be happy that atleast there is a 'provision' to get some 'doc' to return to US at first instance.(positive side)
Just imagine if there is no provision of that sort first to return US and if you only had to apply from a foriegn land to get in only after obtaining!!!
It's a nightmare.

That's true. That remind me a satirical story where a LPR lost his GC while traveling in India. When person goes to US consulate he is told "we help drunk American citizens who got into trouble, but we have no idea how to help GC holders like you, even if you are a very nice person". :D

samn400 said:
Actually when i applied to replacement for my green card,i took the reciept and i went to DO to have my passport stamped for one year,they told me there you shouldn't apply for a replacement as you have pending n400 case,as they can stamp the pssport bassed on the pending n400,but they are not sure if they will send the card or not,,,,,,,,if they don't know ,,,,who should do,,,,,,,,i am still wonder ,,,,,,,:confused:

If my N-400 was pending and USCIS was not going to issue replacement plastic card for that reason, I would not be desparate to get it. Temporary I-551 stamp on passport is good enough for one year. I would save I-90 filing fee for the celebration of becoming US citizen. :)