GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

Got an RFE from USCIS to submit additional evidence regarding my mom birth. Since she didn't had one so I got a NO- Entry certificate from the local municipal office and submitted with her I-485 application. Contacted the local consulate and was told that they can issue a birth certificate for my mom. Will it be OK to submit the birth certificate now after initially submitting the non -availability certificate with the I-485 application? Appreciate any inputs/suggestions.

Got an RFE from USCIS to submit additional evidence regarding my mom birth. Since she didn't had one so I got a NO- Entry certificate from the local municipal office and submitted with her I-485 application. Contacted the local consulate and was told that they can issue a birth certificate for my mom. Will it be OK to submit the birth certificate now after initially submitting the non -availability certificate with the I-485 application? Appreciate any inputs/suggestions.

Birth certificates issued by consulates are useless for I-485. In addition to the certificate of no availability, you also need 2 affidavits from close relatives who are familiar with the birth of your mom.

Hi all! I'm planning on sponsoring my mom soon thru AOS and I just need to clarify the docs that I need to pass along with the application and check with the correct filing fee.

1.I130,I485,I693,I765,G325a,I864 and I864A or EZ? since my husband will be a co-sponsor for I do not work.

2.Evidence/Docs: My birth certificate,My Naturalization cert, mom's birth cert, photocopy of mom's I94, Photocopy of mom's visa, Photocopy of mom's passport- Do I need to photocopy the entire passport or just the pages with her name and pic on it and the latest stamp of her arrival? and lastly my husband's ITR for the past 3 years.

3.Do I also need to submit G325a for my husband since he will be a co sponsor for affidavit of support?

4. Do I write down 0/Zero on I864 since I do not work though I've always filed jointly with my husband in our taxes?

5. Also since my husband and I are US citizens, the alien number doesn't apply to us anymore right?

6. Assuming that we got my mom's fingerprinting notice and given that we were at a different state (we are planning on traveling)- Can she do the fingerprinting in that state as long as she has the notice and a valid ID or does she have to do it in my state of residence?

Thanks in advance! Please let me know if I am missing something!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all! I'm planning on sponsoring my mom soon thru AOS and I just need to clarify the docs that I need to pass along with the application and check with the correct filing fee.

1.I130,I485,I693,I765,G325a,I864 and I864A or EZ? since my husband will be a co-sponsor for I do not work.

2.Evidence/Docs: My birth certificate,My Naturalization cert, mom's birth cert, photocopy of mom's I94, Photocopy of mom's visa, Photocopy of mom's passport- Do I need to photocopy the entire passport or just the pages with her name and pic on it and the latest stamp of her arrival? and lastly my husband's ITR for the past 3 years.

3.Do I also need to submit G325a for my husband since he will be a co sponsor for affidavit of support?

4. Do I write down 0/Zero on I864 since I do not work though I've always filed jointly with my husband in our taxes?

5. Also since my husband and I are US citizens, the alien number doesn't apply to us anymore right?

6. Assuming that we got my mom's fingerprinting notice and given that we were at a different state (we are planning on traveling)- Can she do the fingerprinting in that state as long as she has the notice and a valid ID or does she have to do it in my state of residence?

Thanks in advance! Please let me know if I am missing something!

________________________________________________________________________________

Hi..I am also planning to file eventually for my parents..I dont see lots of activities in timelines/updates for filing gc for parents..I thought that for parents you nornally get it within 6 months..130/1485 route..are there any delays..

what is this new NBC thing that people mention in the forum..also I tried to search for any threads where people post timelines..I couldnt find any latest..if there is any hidden in this portal..can one of you please post it..

thanks

Can someone with AOS adjustment of status while here post their experience. i am really in pickle and need to decide between aos or cp and need some experiences and assurances to make sure there will be no issues with parents gc. thanks again.

My mom is waiting for a decision on her I-485 and I -130 application. She already recieved travelling and work cards. We received a letter from USCIS back in Nov that it may take about 6 months to make a decision on her case. Also per USCIS she falls under the category of potential waiver. My mom is in US since March 2013 and want to visit her home country. Can someone let me know if travelling on the traveling card is safe and what would happen if we recieve her green card while she is out of US. How can she enter when she is back. Do we have to mail her green card so she can enter US or she can enter on travelling document without any issue? Appreciate feedback from anyone who is familiar or have experience with this. Thanks.

Birth certificate and marriage certificate problems - filing GC via AOS for parents

I am preparing to file Green card for my parents via AOS. They are Indian citizens, currently in the USA and were married in 1967. They neither have a marriage certificate nor birth certificates. It is not possible to get affidavits for these missing documents since people older than them or even their age have all passed away. It is also very hard to get non-availability certificates from the municipal authorities in the towns where they were born in India.

I have been told that if birth and marriage certificates are not available the affidavits and the non-availability certificates are a must for filing Green cards since they don't have any secondary evidence either.

What are my options here? Will I ever be able to file their green cards? Or is it pretty much end of the road for them?

Rajiv, others on this forum please help me with your advise.

Thanks.

AOS vs CP

Can someone with AOS adjustment of status while here post their experience. i am really in pickle and need to decide between aos or cp and need some experiences and assurances to make sure there will be no issues with parents gc. thanks again.

What I have heard is that CP is the safest thing to do. But there are many many cases where they have filed AOS and gotten approval. In some cases I heard that the immigration officer questioned the intent of the applicants since if you are on a non-immigrant visa, at POE the assumed intent is that the visitor will go back.

Birth certificates issued by consulates are useless for I-485. In addition to the certificate of no availability, you also need 2 affidavits from close relatives who are familiar with the birth of your mom.

I am not sure of birth certificates that are issued by Indian consulates/embassy. I know some cases where the Indian embassy issued a letter stating that the SSLC (school cert) showing the date of birth is considered an official document for proof of age in India and that was accepted. But again these are cases where the applicants had some secondary evidence which was then be attested by the consulate.

Passport renewal - Gujrat to UP

I have opted for CP for my parents and we are preparing to respond to some RFEs. It would be about 2 months before we get to have an US embassy appointment for them. However, we are in a fix due to a passport situation.

Their original passports were issued from Gujrat. Thus, middle name for my father has his father's name in there. Middle name of my mother is having my father's name in there. This is in spite of the fact that all of the supporting documents were submitted without the middle name being present. Their US visa and other international documents match with the name in passport.

My parents have moved to Agra (U.P.) since then. Now, they are going to the Ghaziabad office for the renewal. However, this office operates differently. They were sent back last month because name in the original passport does not match with the name in the supporting document such as bank statements/account.

So, I am wondering what can we do now? I guess it will be best to have renewed passport with the same name as present in the old passport and the US visa. However, that requires changing the name in the bank account. SBI won't change the name on the old account without a court order (a lengthy and expensive process). New accounts won't be acceptable by the passport office.

It irritates me that we are victimized here with no mistake from our part. Still, we are ready to work on a solution. It was suggested that we publish the facts in a newspaper and prepare some affidavits. We can do that. However, it appears that bank statement from SBI (note: ICICI has updated the name without any hassle. But passport office wants documents only from the nationalized bank) with the matching name is still required. At this point there seems to be no solution. There is no assistance from the officials. Please help. I would think this is not so rare situation. Any feedback from someone who faced similar situation will be of great help.

Thanks.

Hi,
I'm a GC holder, can I submit a petition for my parents to get a GC's as well? if yes, what documents they need to provide to the embassy. If no, what benefit(s) they can get if their son is holding a PR?

Thanks,
William

Hello Immi-gurus there,

Thanks for all sharing these immigration matters. I am US Citizen living in NJ and plan to apply for I-130 for my mother, sister and brother. My father is no more and my mother is living with my sister and brother. My brother is going to cross 21 years by this year end (sister is already 21 years old) and both not married yet.

1. Should I file first my mother I-130 and once she is in US with on green card, ask her to file my brother and sister as they are unmarried to make it faster?

2. If the above is good option, does my mother need to work for filing GC/I-130 for brother and sister if they are not married yet?

3. As I am US Citizen, do you guys suggest me to file my sister and brother I-130 along with my mother from my-side right now? Can I use their approved I-130 priority dates later to other I130 filing through my mother to make it faster?

4. If I file I-130s for my brother and sister, US consulate centers will not issues visit or tourist or H1B visa in future if they approached for it. Is this true statement? Doe US law prohibits them other visas if they have I-130s applied?

I really appreciate for your answers.

Hi,
I'm a GC holder, can I submit a petition for my parents to get a GC's as well? if yes, what documents they need to provide to the embassy. If no, what benefit(s) they can get if their son is holding a PR?

Thanks,
William
GC cannot.
USC can.

Hello Immi-gurus there,

Thanks for all sharing these immigration matters. I am US Citizen living in NJ and plan to apply for I-130 for my mother, sister and brother. My father is no more and my mother is living with my sister and brother. My brother is going to cross 21 years by this year end (sister is already 21 years old) and both not married yet.
1. Should I file first my mother I-130 and once she is in US with on green card, ask her to file my brother and sister as they are unmarried to make it faster?
2. If the above is good option, does my mother need to work for filing GC/I-130 for brother and sister if they are not married yet?
3. As I am US Citizen, do you guys suggest me to file my sister and brother I-130 along with my mother from my-side right now? Can I use their approved I-130 priority dates later to other I130 filing through my mother to make it faster?
4. If I file I-130s for my brother and sister, US consulate centers will not issues visit or tourist or H1B visa in future if they approached for it. Is this true statement? Doe US law prohibits them other visas if they have I-130s applied?
I really appreciate for your answers.
1. Yes. After your mother gets GC, she can petition for your unmarried brother and sister. But F2b will wait for about 7 years.
2. If your mother has no income, you can be a joint sponsor supporting your mother's I-864.
3. Your petition cannot change into your mother's hands.
4. It depends. H1b is OK, but some other non-immigration visas will not be obtained technically. But actually I know some people who are lucky to get B visa.

Medical Exam, Finger Printing at VAC and Actual Interview

I am an US citizen. My parents are at the tail end of the CP process. NVC has scheduled the interview. I am little confused about the "Finger Printing (Biometric)" appointment. Should it be scheduled by us ahead of the interview date?

One set of information suggests that applicant must create an account at ustraveldocs.com and shedule an appointment. Other information says "Ink-free, digital fingerprint scans will be taken on the day of the interview". Thus I am confused.

Other confusion is: If my parents go to the VAC on a date prior to the interview date, is it mandatory that they have medical exam report in hand?

Someone with recent experience at Delhi, please help.

Need Information Related to Travel Process After Green Card

My sister is planning to apply for green card to my parents, the main question is as soon as they get the green card can I parents travel to India under any emergency conditions since my grand parents are very old?

And also is it mandatory to stay atleast 6 months without travel after getting green card?

For any reason if my parents later decide to give away green card will they have any trouble coming on visitor visa here?

Appreciate any information. Thanks ahead.

Interview location and Experience at Delhi, India

My parents have the interview scheduled for the next week at Delhi. I am not sure what kind of questions are usually asked. Is it just a document verification? What is the primary intent of the interview? Can anyone with experience let me know the details. Also, what exactly is the address?

Thanks.

I am going to file I130 for my parents. I have a situation with their proof of marriage. They are issued "could not register" instead of "non-availability" cert by the issuing authority because my mom was 15 (less than 18) when she got married. They have the affidavits to support as secondary proof. My question is that does anyone had a similar situation with the age of one of the parents being below 18, when married? Can this be a issue with my I130 filing?

US Citizen Filing for Mother's Green Card through Consular Processing - Venezuela 2015

Hello everyone,

I sent a package, which the USCIS Location in Phoenix, AZ received on Saturday, March 14th 2015, that contained the following:

- Check for $420 to U. S. Department of Homeland Security
- Form G-1145, e-Notification of Application / Petition Acceptance
- Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative
- My Certificate of Naturalization (Copy)
- My Passport (Copy)
- My Passport Card (Copy)
- My Birth Certificate (Translation) + Certification + Notarization + Original (All Copies)
- My Mother's Birth Certificate (Translation) + Certification + Notarization + Original (All Copies)
- My Marriage Certificate (Copy)

I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this same process doing the Consular Processing in Venezuela, and if they can help me with the following questions:

1. How long did it take from the moment you filed the I-130, until your parent was in the U.S. legally and ready to work.
2. Once the I-130 is approved, what comes next? Do you need a lawyer? Do you recommend to get a lawyer?
3. How much are the fees for DS-260, and I-864? Can they be paid by me in the US, and not by my mother in Venezuela?
4. What are the documents required for the DS-260? I got this list from a lawyer, can someone verify these:
• My Mother's Birth Certificate (Translation) + Certification + Notarization + Original (All Copies)
• My Mother's Divorce Certificate (Translation) + Certification + Notarization + Original (All Copies)
• Copy of all the pages of My Mother's Passport, which has to be valid for at least 12 more months.
• 2 Passport Photos
• This is in Spanish: Certificado policial de TODOS los lugares en donde usted ha vivido por más de 6 meses desde la edad de los 16 años. Éstos certificados policiales tienen que ser certificados por el Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores. What does this mean? what kind of papers are these? where to get them in Venezuela?
• This is in Spanish: Documentos de prisión y corte (si aplica). What does this mean? what kind of papers are these? where to get them in Venezuela?
• Medical Exam, which needs to be done once you get the instructions. Does anyone know of a doctor that provides these services in Venezuela that you can recommend?
• My Birth Certificate (Translation) + Certification + Notarization + Original (All Copies)
• My Certificate of Naturalization (Copy)
• My Marriage Certificate (Copy)​
5. What is the filing fee for the I-864 when done through Consular Processing in Venezuela? Are these all the documents I am going to need?
• My 3 most recent Taxes.
• Letter from my employer on their letterhead as proof of employment with current title and salary.
• Paid stubs from the last year.​
6. Anything else you might know about the process in Venezuela? What is the process like, how long does it take? what is the interview like?

Thank you to anyone who can help.

HappyWife