GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

Folks,
I've searched through the posts, but could not find a definitive answer. I'm filing for a greencard for my widowed mother, and we just got the letter from Chennai consulate (surprisingly, they asked her to go to their website and download Packet 4 from there, they should not be assuming everyone has access to the web/printer etc.). Anyway, the instructions say that for anyone who has ever been married, they need a marriage certificate, or an affidavit notarized by a first class magistrate.

Is this applicable in the case of a widow (we have the death certificate for my father)? Does anyone else have experince with this?
Thanks....

The marriage certificate is not a required document while petitioning for a mother. My widowed mother got her immigrant visa from Chennai in November last year without a marriage certificate.

Questions and Suggestions.

Applied CP for both parents. Mom's case was done two months ago but dad's case is stucked on the name check, i think. :mad: Talked to rep at NVC and was told, as of today, dad's case is still in Washington for review. They said that they will send both cases to the embassy as soon as dad's case is done. Anyone here had same problem before? And any suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

Applied CP for both parents. Mom's case was done two months ago but dad's case is stucked on the name check, i think. :mad: Talked to rep at NVC and was told, as of today, dad's case is still in Washington for review. They said that they will send both cases to the embassy as soon as dad's case is done. Anyone here had same problem before? And any suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

I don't think they do name check for CP. It could be what it's called "an administrative review".

Thanks a lot.

When did you apply for your mom? Did you apply in Vermont?

Thanks

Time taken for a family based GC in Iowa in recent time?

I have applied for 130, 485 and 131 at Chicago for my parents who are in the USA. Does anyone have a recent case which can tell me how much time did it take for a family based GC application filed from Iowa?

Dont have Marriage certificate

hi,

am applying AOS for my parents.

They do not have a marriage certificate or a Non-availability marriage certificate.

In that case, what do you suggest ?

Is marriage certificate for fathers application mandatory when applying for AOS ?

If yes, any specific format of an affidavit ?

Thanks

hello friend(s),

Congrats to you, and to your parents.

may I know the CONSUL asked for the I-864 info?
I submitted all I-864 requirements to NVC without any problems.

My parents' CONSULAR interview will be very soon (April)----Manila.
I satisfy the 120% above poverty income requirements.

However, I have a history of unemployment compensation this 2006-----which helped it reach the 120% requirement.

My 2003-2005 Tax returns/ Transcripts are all way above the 120%. Accepted by NVC.
I did not submit the 2006Transcripts to NVC (was not available at the time of submission).

I'm nervous about the COnsular/Embassy Interview. They've been dreaming about this opportunity since I was little. Now its almost here. Would I have a problem?

Are Embassy consuls strict with aging parents (60 y/o)
Pls advise. Anahit, if you are reading this, pls help too.
Thank you.

Sorry for the delayed response, we were out last night, celebrating!!!!

Thanks to everyone who was with me in this journey!!!

I really want to give the Academy Award acceptance speech but I hear the background music saying cut it out.

Right now, I'm ignoring the music since I've to thank some of my cyber friends. Here goes the list:

Jen
Suzy
Visaapp
Greencard
GC4
Anahit......

Coming back to the actual event:
Asked to take the oath - all three of us did, hey don't forget to raise ur hand :D
IO asked for the passports, since we had the EAD, SSN, I-94 all attached to the PP. She got it all in one action.
She updated the forms with the SSN and gave it back to us.
Verified the I-94 details on the form.
She tucked the I-94 and EAD into the folders pocket. She did that only for my dad though. I knew then that he's through.
After she did same thing with my mum's forms, she said that my mum has to retake the FPs. U all know the outcome.
IO went thru the forms, verifying mainly the address, place of birth, first names of both parents and all the questions related to the criminal life and the signature.

My dad's place of birth was wrong on the form so we got it corrected. It had my mum's place of birth. I'm guessing it was copy and paste error on my part.

Last thing she asked me was about the tax returns.

She went ahead and ordered the cards online first then stamped and signed the passports. I thanked her and said that it's been a very pleasant experience. This is the second time I've ever been to an Immigration OFfice and both the times it's been pleasant.

The stamp has the following wording:
A# followed by the Category IR-0
Processed for I-551.
Temporary evidence of lawful admission for permanent residence valid until 05-17-2007.
Employment authorized
Dated Signature of the Officer

By the time I came back to work, I had 20emails from CRIS and USCIS-CSSO.
5 emails for each appln. 3 from CRIS and two for the other. All said the same thing. I-130 is approved and Welcome notice was mailed on 5/18.

My god, the music is too loud now can't say a word more.

Let me know, if you guys have any more questions. Will be around....

Good luck to y'all in my southern drawl

Last edited by a moderator:
hello friend(s),

Congrats to you, and to your parents.

may I know how they asked for the I-864 info?
I submitted all I-864 requirements to NVC without any problems.

My parents' CONSULAR interview will be very soon (April).
I satisfy the 120% above poverty income requirements.

However, I have a history of unemployment compensation this 2006-----which helped it reach the 120% requirement.

My 2003-2005 Tax returns/ Transcripts are all way above the 120%.
I did not submit the 2006Transcripts to NVC (was not available at the time of submission).

I'm nervous. They've been dreaming about this opportunity since I was little. Now there's the COnsular Interview. Would I have a problem?

Are Embassy consuls strict with aging parents (60 y/o)?
Pls advise. Anahit, if you are reading this, pls help too.
Thank you.

Sorry for the delayed response, we were out last night, celebrating!!!!

Thanks to everyone who was with me in this journey!!!

I really want to give the Academy Award acceptance speech but I hear the background music saying cut it out.

Right now, I'm ignoring the music since I've to thank some of my cyber friends. Here goes the list:

Jen
Suzy
Visaapp
Greencard
GC4
Anahit......

Coming back to the actual event:
Asked to take the oath - all three of us did, hey don't forget to raise ur hand :D
IO asked for the passports, since we had the EAD, SSN, I-94 all attached to the PP. She got it all in one action.
She updated the forms with the SSN and gave it back to us.
Verified the I-94 details on the form.
She tucked the I-94 and EAD into the folders pocket. She did that only for my dad though. I knew then that he's through.
After she did same thing with my mum's forms, she said that my mum has to retake the FPs. U all know the outcome.
IO went thru the forms, verifying mainly the address, place of birth, first names of both parents and all the questions related to the criminal life and the signature.

My dad's place of birth was wrong on the form so we got it corrected. It had my mum's place of birth. I'm guessing it was copy and paste error on my part.

Last thing she asked me was about the tax returns.

She went ahead and ordered the cards online first then stamped and signed the passports. I thanked her and said that it's been a very pleasant experience. This is the second time I've ever been to an Immigration OFfice and both the times it's been pleasant.

The stamp has the following wording:
A# followed by the Category IR-0
Processed for I-551.
Temporary evidence of lawful admission for permanent residence valid until 05-17-2007.
Employment authorized
Dated Signature of the Officer

By the time I came back to work, I had 20emails from CRIS and USCIS-CSSO.
5 emails for each appln. 3 from CRIS and two for the other. All said the same thing. I-130 is approved and Welcome notice was mailed on 5/18.

My god, the music is too loud now can't say a word more.

Let me know, if you guys have any more questions. Will be around....

Good luck to y'all in my southern drawl

I-864 during Interview

Dear Visa Applicant,

Congrats!
May I ask you if another I-864 was asked from your parents during the Interview.
I believe that this has been previously submitted to NVC.

Were they asked for IRS returns for 2006?.
I was just wondering if I have to submit further evidence for consular interview.
I hope the Consuls would be satisfied about the I-864 review done by NVC. I sumbitted my 2003-2005 tax returns.
Otherwise, the $60 fee we paid to NVC for I-864 review is nonsense.

May I ask you friend, if your parents were made to submit another new I-864 forms and documents (financial evidence) during the Embassy Interview?.
If yes, what are those in partricular
Thank you so much.
I will appreciate the help.

Suns1

Thanks, peeyen.

I-864 during Interview

Dear Visa Applicant,

Congrats!
May I ask you if another I-864 was asked from your parents during the Interview.

I was just wondering if I have to submit further evidence for consular interview.
I hope the Consuls would be satisfied about the I-864 review done by NVC. I sumbitted my 2003-2005 tax returns.

May I ask you friend, if your parents were made to submit another new I-864 forms and documents (financial evidence) during the Embassy Interview?.
Thank you so much.

Suns1

Thanks, peeyen.

6 instead of 5

hello sahildesai,

I had the same question last year when I submitted my I-864 for my parents.

Even if its a separate petition, your household size is actually 6.
You, your wife, + 2 kids, and parents.
You will not list the name of the other parent on page 1 of I-864.
But on the question where you will mark the household, you will add a note that says, "visa case number ----------also sponsored in a separate I-130 petition" : + 1.

This is what I believe. The consul knows that you're petitioning both parents----so your household size is 6-----and this will be compared to the poverty guidelines.

If advised to do differently, then that's your decision to make.----which one is right.

GOd bless.
Suns1

I am a Naturalized USC. I am preparing I-864 individually for both my parents. My wife was working parttime last year. She is not working anymore since we are expecting our third child. This year I will be the only earner in the family. Everything we own is owned jointly - all of the equity and holding too. Also my present salary is not under the 125% of poverty line for 7 in Iowa (myself, wife, 2 kids, 1 more on the way, 2 parents).

Couple of questions I have:

1. When I submit last three years federal tax returns with I-864 those will be joint. Since I am individually sponsoring my parents, does my wife need to be a co-sponsorer, since we own everything jointly?
2. If yes, then her income for 2007 will be zero, would that cause a problem?3. Since both my parents are on different petitions, I have to file I-864 for each, so will I put house hold size of 5 (myself+wife+2kids+1parent) for each I-864?

Too long

I suspect that your application was never processed.

If it was, you should have gotten a Receipt number by October 2006.
And Approval by March2007.

You may have to wait for that 1 month requirement to claim your right to complain/ff-up.

I am sorry that this happened to you. But 6 mos. is nothing compared to 20 years of waiting time for some siblings of USC.
With prayers,
Suns1

OK so here is my situation.
For now,,,,,I think the best thing to do is to wait for that 1 mo. Then you can claim your right.

Your application may have never been processed. You should have gotten your Receipt # at least, by October.

As I've mentioned before I've filed 2 I-130(s) for my parents. My application date is Aug 31,05 and I've filed with California service center. Yesterday they published the new processing dates and it's Sep 02,05 so it's already passed my date but when I look online my case statuses have not changed. I haven't received any letters either. So I called the 1 800 number a few minutes ago and they said "Yes mam the processing date is passed your date however we can not do anything for you. You should wait until the processing date is one month passed you application date then call us back and we can launch an investigation." I'm so dissapointed... Since I filed these applications I had to call 4 times to do an address change and everytime I had to wait a month to see if I get the address change confirmation which I didn't and called back and wait another month to see if that one will go through... so I'm done with waiting and calling the 1 800 number. I don't want to wait another month to call them only to open an investigation. God knows how long that'll take. Do you think that maybe they have processed my case but they are behind on updating the case status online and sending the letter??? I hope so... Please tell me what you think. I'm going crazy here.

Dear Visa Applicant,

Congrats!

Thank you so much.

Suns1

Thanks.

My parents did not have to submit new I-864. However, the supporting documents for I864 need to be made current from the time they were submitted to NVC. Hence I sent copies of my paystubs for all the inbetween months and employment letter to them. Since their interview was on March 7, I did not have 2006 tax return ready (Apr 15 deadline). They did not even ask for it. But if the interview is after Apr 15, I think they would want 2006 tax return to make I864 current.

When is your parents interview? Follow the instructions from your consulate's website for specific instructions. Good luck!

I-864

Thank you Visa applicant.
Their interview is on April 16.
2006 income has been filed.
But it doesn't look as good as my 2003-2005 (had steady income----at 200% above poverty).
I received Unemployment compensation ($4,000)for 2006, which helped my 2006 gross income to satisfy the 125% poverty line. But, my W-2 for 2006 is $2,500 short.

I do however have a March 2007 employment letter (from a new job--with starting period of June 2006 where my gross salary is 210% above poverty line (or + $20,000 above poverty line). I also have kept all payslips/checks.

But again, my 1040 and return transcripts does not look too good. Passed for income requirements but the "unemployment compensation" looks bad. :(

I do not know if these will suffice. I'm having some trouble looking for a co-sponsor.:(

I would fel very guilty if my parents would have a problem because of the financial evidence. I'm an RN who just stopped working in 2006 for graduate school.
Any advice? Manila Embassy is our consulate. But there is limited info at their website.

The deadline for filing with IRS is now set at April 17 because APril 15 is Sunday and April 16 is Columbus day.......I'm not sure though if the embassy knows this.. :-C :-C
Thank you, and may God bless.
Suns1

Last edited by a moderator:
I am applying a green card for my mother. She is currently in US with me. I filed I-130 which was approved separately with I-485. I even have sent out I-485 for her a couple of days ago. But I received DS-3032 from Department of State yesterday. Are all cases(adjustment of status and consular processing) forward to National Visa Center or only those for Consular Processing? I specified that she will not use Consular Processing in I-130. What steps do I need to take if it is a mistake that the case was forward to National Visa Center?

Thank you very much.

Hi Everyone!
I have been looking around for some answer to my question and I am overwhemed of all the infos that are here. Can someone help me?
My question is regarding the AOS for IR petition for my husband.
I recently became a citizen and I got my husband's petition upgrade to IR and received a letter from NVC for the approval and the upgrade. NVC also sent me a copy of that AOS bill which I already paid for last week. With that AOS form, it asks for a 3 year IRS return which I don't have. I only filled for last year and not 2 years before that because I did not work during those years. My income is above that poverty chart. My question is, do they really need that 3 year IRS trasnscript? and do I need to have a joint AOS with my parents? I really want to do this on my own and I don't have a problem asking my parents to help me with it.
Please advice.

Thank you!

Thank you Visa applicant.
Their interview is on April 16.
2006 income has been filed.
But it doesn't look as good as my 2003-2005 (had steady income----at 200% above poverty).
I received Unemployment compensation ($4,000)for 2006, which helped my 2006 gross income to satisfy the 125% poverty line. But, my W-2 for 2006 is $2,500 short.

I do however have a March 2007 employment letter (from a new job--with starting period of June 2006 where my gross salary is 210% above poverty line (or + $20,000 above poverty line). I also have kept all payslips/checks.

But again, my 1040 and return transcripts does not look too good. Passed for income requirements but the "unemployment compensation" looks bad. :(

I do not know if these will suffice. I'm having some trouble looking for a co-sponsor.:(

I would fel very guilty if my parents would have a problem because of the financial evidence. I'm an RN who just stopped working in 2006 for graduate school.
Any advice? Manila Embassy is our consulate. But there is limited info at their website.

The deadline for filing with IRS is now set at April 17 because APril 15 is Sunday and April 16 is Columbus day.......I'm not sure though if the embassy knows this.. :-C :-C
Thank you, and may God bless.
Suns1

It should be fine. If the interview is on April 16, they may want to see 2006 tax return. Although it is borderline, if you filed on April 15 in USA (granted deadline is on April 17), your parents cannot be expected to have your return in Manilla the next day.

Now you have already filed your return, so it is your decision (or consulate's requirement) whether you want to submit 2006 return. I do not think unemployment comp is a big issue given your recent and past salary history. But then it is upto the consulate. Maybe someone else can comment.

You definitely should send paystubs, employment letter etc. to make I864 current. Also check with/refer to posts by "abs49080" whose parents did CP in Manilla.

Good luck!