GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

timeline for my parents

DO = Atlanta, GA

Feb 21, 2006 ND (both)
Apr 04, 2006 FP (both)
May 03, 2006 I-130 cases transferred to CSC (both)
May 11, 2006 EADs received (both)
Jun 06, 2006 Email from DHS saying one I-130 has been approved

I'll update as I get more info.

Edit: Corrected transfer date.

Last edited by a moderator:
vyshnya said:

DO = Atlanta, GA

Feb 21, 2006 ND (both)
Apr 04, 2006 FP (both)
May 10, 2006 I-130 cases transferred to CSC (both)

this is actualy quite fast.... my mom's case was submitted in end of jan., and they transferred her to CSC at the end of may.... so i guess your papers are moving much faster... congrats, i am sure your I485 is already aproved, and if it isnt it will be very very soon :)

I helped a friend petition for his parents who are Mexican citizens. It took approximately one year for their applications to process through Immigration and the National Visa Center. Then their case files were sent to Juarez where they sat for nearly another year with everything approved just waiting for the interview. He just got notice that they have appointments this July.

leborland said:
I helped a friend petition for his parents who are Mexican citizens. It took approximately one year for their applications to process through Immigration and the National Visa Center. Then their case files were sent to Juarez where they sat for nearly another year with everything approved just waiting for the interview. He just got notice that they have appointments this July.

There you are.... First you were helping undocumented immigrants gain entry into colleges by advising them to impersonate US citizens (so they could get easy admission and pay low fees), so how did you pull this one? (I cant wait to hear this side of your story) :rolleyes:

abs49080 said:
thank you for your reply. I have my case status posted under CP in the first page of this thread. Anyway, i called the NVC and when i enter the USCIS Recpt. Number I got an Automated Voice Recording says that my case been received June 2 and now in process. My dad I-130 was approve May 17 by USCIS and my mom was May 23 and its not yet to be found in NVC file.

Abs -
A Quick update -
I just checked my Dad's EAC # and NVC auto msg says that the case was entered in their system on Jun 7 and also gives out the NVC case #. You may want to check your Mom's too.

jenimmi said:
Abs -
A Quick update -
I just checked my Dad's EAC # and NVC auto msg says that the case was entered in their system on Jun 7 and also gives out the NVC case #. You may want to check your Mom's too.

jenimmi~

thanks for your update, i just checked the NVC auto mssg. but the case is not yet to be found :( . i will check again later today or tomorrow.
Goodluck to you and i will keep you posted as we go on....

Abs

jenimmi said:
Abs -
A Quick update -

Jenimmi,

Good to see progress on your Dad's case. My RD is just one day later than yours and ND is same as yours, but no word from USCIS yet on I130s. There are no LUD changes either. Of course, Vermont's published processing dates still show Dec 05. So hard to figure out how they are processing it. Hoping to hear from them soon. Will keep posted.

visaapplicant said:
Jenimmi,

Good to see progress on your Dad's case. My RD is just one day later than yours and ND is same as yours, but no word from USCIS yet on I130s. There are no LUD changes either. Of course, Vermont's published processing dates still show Dec 05. So hard to figure out how they are processing it. Hoping to hear from them soon. Will keep posted.

Thanks, VisaApp.
I was anyway going to ask you about your parents I-130 today and here you are. It's weird that 2 cases with the (almost) same RD/ND would not be processed in the same time frame. There's no explanation to this and that's the worst part.

It's frustrating all these months wondering about the process/ processing time. For my Mom's I-485 with NBC - why everyone who applied with us or after us in our DO, either already had their interview, or in the least got their IL, but we have absolutely no progress!! Even the FP notice was received after making numerous calls to numerous people. Even got news that my Mom's FPs and Name check have cleared, still no IL or Case trsfr letter. I've come to the conclusion it's nothing but LUCK. If you're lucky you get an officer who processes your file quickly or it's sitting until he/she gets to it. I truly wish your parents case is processed much sooner than what VSC has published as proc date. It seems to be showing Dec'05 for months now :eek:

Good luck - don't lose hope yet. That's what I'm trying to do about my Mom's.

Help for parents' applications

I read the very first post, but still got little confused regarding the forms.

1. My understanding is that for each parent, I need to file separate I-130 and I-485. However, when I look at Part 3 B of I-485,
3B. List our present husband/wife, all of your ons and daughters.
It asks "Applying with you"
What does that mean? Should I check No? Since my mom files I485 on her own and my dad file his own I485. They are not applying together unless they are filing one single I485.

2. The nonimmigrant visa number on I-485 (Part 3A) is the 8 digits red numbers on the visa, not the so called control number starting with the year, right?

3. For I-864, do I need to make two notarized forms (one for each parent), or I can use one original notarized form for dad and make one copy for mom?

Thanks in advance

horiba said:
I read the very first post, but still got little confused regarding the forms.

1. My understanding is that for each parent, I need to file separate I-130 and I-485. However, when I look at Part 3 B of I-485,
3B. List our present husband/wife, all of your ons and daughters.
It asks "Applying with you"
What does that mean? Should I check No? Since my mom files I485 on her own and my dad file his own I485. They are not applying together unless they are filing one single I485.

N/A in your case.

2. The nonimmigrant visa number on I-485 (Part 3A) is the 8 digits red numbers on the visa, not the so called control number starting with the year, right?

The number in RED on the visa page is the visa number.

3. For I-864, do I need to make two notarized forms (one for each parent), or I can use one original notarized form for dad and make one copy for mom?

they have to be notarized individually because the applications are treated separately.

Last edited by a moderator:
I-485 "welcome notice"?

I got the following email for my mom's I-485 application today:

"Application Type: I485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status

Current Status:

On June 12, 2006, a welcome notice was mailed for this case. If 30 days have passed and you have not received this notice. Please call the National Customer Service Center at (800) 375-5283 during business hours."

Does this mean that it was approved? It doesn't say "approved" anywhere in the email like the I-130 did. What is this "welcome notice"?

vyshnya said:

DO = Atlanta, GA

Feb 21, 2006 ND (both)
Apr 04, 2006 FP (both)
May 03, 2006 I-130 cases transferred to CSC (both)

Edit: Corrected transfer date.

vyshnya said:
I got the following email for my mom's I-485 application today:

"Application Type: I485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status

Current Status:

On June 12, 2006, a welcome notice was mailed for this case. If 30 days have passed and you have not received this notice. Please call the National Customer Service Center at (800) 375-5283 during business hours."

Does this mean that it was approved? It doesn't say "approved" anywhere in the email like the I-130 did. What is this "welcome notice"?
Yes. The welcome notice is sent when the case is approved. The card will follow. :)
Congratulations!

vyshnya said:

Lets put it this way: USCIS doesn't sent "welcome notices" to people they intent to deport ;)

CONGRATULATIONS
:)

Congratulations, needurhelp and others who got their cases resolved.
I want to give you an update on my parents case.
This is from my earlier post:
"My parents were interviewed on July 7, 2005. My dad's case has been pending due to background checks. My mom's case, according to USCIS, can go on after my dad's case is resolved. How stupid is that...
BTW, I was told that they have a new rule: If someone gets stuck in the background check, the others who applied together don't wait for him. Their cases continue processing. But, this new rule does not apply to old cases... Can they be any more irrational?"
So, at the 800 number (I spoke with 2-3 immigration officers), at the congressman's office (one of the caseworkers) were trying to convince me that my mom's case depends on the status of my dad's case... I called the congressman's office again, and this time I talked to the other caseworker, who agreed with me on how ridiculous it is. She made another inquiry on my mom's behalf. The response was stating that my mom was "specified as a dependant child in my father's I-130". :confused: I couldn't believe it. The next day I faxed the copies of all the applications I filed for my parents to the caseworker, and asked her to tell me if she sees anything like that on I-130. Today I called her back. After she got the fax, where she couldn't find anything wrong on the forms, she sent another inquiry to the immigration liaison unit. This time the response was:
"Do you want us to adjudicate her case separately, or wait until her husband's case is resolved?" :D :D :D
I was very upset... It's been almost a year after their interview... And, just because some stupid, incompetent officer couldn't read the forms right, or I don't know what else, we had to play this unending waiting game...
I wish I talked to this caseworker from the beginning. She was very nice and what's more important, knowledgeble. Anyhow, she told them to adjudicate my mom's case now...
The lesson learned is: If you know you're right, keep bugging them. Talk to as many immigration officers as you need to find one who would listen, understand, and do something about your problem.
I'll keep you posted.

Anahit said:
The lesson learned is: If you know you're right, keep bugging them. Talk to as many immigration officers as you need to find one who would listen, understand, and do something about your problem.
I'll keep you posted.

You're absolutely right.
And, I may ad, waiting "patiently", how they (USCIS) advise us, is the strategy that works...for them and only for them
;)

Woohoo!

Suzy977 said:
Lets put it this way: USCIS doesn't sent "welcome notices" to people they intent to deport ;)

hehehe :D

I just didn't know if they had separate "welcome - we're now processing your case" and later a "welcome - your case has been approved" letters. She never had an interview, so I wasn't sure how the approval would be done (my I-130 and I-485 were approved together at the interview).

Thanks all!

Update on my case

:) :) :) I a all smiles right now :)
I just got an e-mail from USCIS stating that my moms AOS was approved today June 14 (with no interview) and that a new card was ordered for her.
I had gotten an approval notice for the I-130 on June 07. Overall, our case took close to 6 months from the time we applied until today!! A lot faster than what I expected.

You can go ahead and update my timeline.

Good luck to everyone

Anahit said:
Congratulations, needurhelp and others who got their cases resolved.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks Anahit. As I always say, being proactive is the mantra with USCIS.

no mention of a card in my email!

OK. So now I'm paranoid again. There was no mention of any cards in the emails I received. :confused:

aalvar10 said:
:) :) :) I a all smiles right now :)
I just got an e-mail from USCIS stating that my moms AOS was approved today June 14 (with no interview) and that a new card was ordered for her.
I had gotten an approval notice for the I-130 on June 07. Overall, our case took close to 6 months from the time we applied until today!! A lot faster than what I expected.

You can go ahead and update my timeline.

Good luck to everyone